The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A Judge Asks a Rape Vicitim "Why couldn’t you just keep your knees together?" Options
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:42:49 PM

Neurons: 34,471
The BBC should be praised - and it is helping people. I may have mentioned this anecdote about my niece before, but emotional abuse happens more than we realize, I think. I would never have thought of it happening to my family but -

My niece has a stalking ex - he controlled and abused her emotionally and I suspect physically - until she got up the courage to get out and get a divorce just before the second child was born. (I suspect the second child was a marital rape but am not going to ask. It was not my business. She's a beautiful child and we are glad to have her.) He was Mr. Charming until they married. After they split he followed her around, threatening her. He tried to get her fired, has not paid child support, and he took her to court three times over nothing till the judge told him to stop using the courts to try to punish her. The older boy was allowed at 12 to make a decision and he refuses to ever see his father again. The girl is now ten, so my niece has two years to go to deal with this sicko. He has a new live-in but can't seem to move on after ten years.

If my niece had not had my brother and his wife to support her both financially and emotionally, I don't know how she would have made out.

I'm glad Canada has the rule about children making the decision at age 12. I wonder what other countries do.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Chazlee
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 6:40:04 PM

Neurons: 3,722
Hope123 wrote:
Judge Camp, his wife, and daughter

"But (Judge Robin) Camp has since paid a justice, law professor and psychologist to mentor him about the law as well as the trauma of sexual assault.
His daughter Lauren Lee Camp, who is a rape victim herself, called her father's behavior 'disgraceful', but claimed he is a changed man with 'a new kind of sensitivity and understanding', according to the Globe and Mail. (He had been understanding and supportive of her when she was raped.)
Closing arguments in the judicial review take place Monday. The Canadian Judicial Council will then forward its final recommendation to the federal justice minister." Brackets are my addition from further reading.

Read More

This incident may make him a better, more careful judge in all areas, and also be a reminder to all judges to watch their words and attitudes, and apply the golden rule above all else. Fortunately there are appeals of cases and this one was appealed. This case took place two years ago in 2014.

I agree with his lawyer that his insensitive, rude comments are not grounds for dismissal especially since he (and others) learned from it. He has been humiliated and reprimanded as punishment, has apologized and taken steps to educate himself and change his attitudes, and I believe in second chances. This is a human being we are talking about, not just some figure in the news and no matter which country he comes from he and his family deserve some empathy for a first offence. He has been a good judge till now.

I will post results if I remember when it happens.

Wow, I just realized that the judge is only holding hands with the woman on his left, in the picture, but not his daughter. Now I wonder if he blames his daughter for getting raped? Remember that this guy gave a rape victim instructions on what she should have done to not have allowed herself to be raped. So, one can just imagine what he said to his daughter after she was raped. Really, look at the picture which was posted. The daughter, who said her father's words were disgraceful, is looking down. She can't even face the camera. She knows a lot about her dad, but she wants to stick by him. Great daughter. Not such a great father. Canada, you deserve better.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 6:51:04 PM

Thar, I don't know if you followed the story but do you know in the story why she didn't leave him to pursue legal means as my niece did - did he threaten to kill her? Or did he break her spirit until she snapped one day and that was the controversy? I guess I can go google it...
:::
I just read about a politician, CDN or American, who believed there is no such thing as marital rape - I don't remember who or where.
::::
Edited - I got this online - and a child was involved so that makes it even harder to escape... Children, support, finances, so many variables as to what one chooses to do. Just glad I never had to make such a decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/what-to-listen-to/the-archers-helen-titchener-is-found-not-guilty-of-all-charges/

"The jury finally concluded that, after years of undergoing coercion, control, rape and assault at the hands of her husband, Helen believed her actions were justified in preventing further harm to herself and her young son, Henry.

After a full week of The Archers episodes focusing on the course of the trial, and a special episode during which the jury deliberated, it was at times difficult to see how Helen could ever have been found not guilty.

We heard from the foul, abusive Rob, who denied ever being anything other than a loving husband both to Helen and his ex-wife, Jess, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that he had been controlling and violent towards them both. We even heard both women testify that he had raped them."

thar
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 2:59:03 AM

Neurons: 59,083
I didn't know any of the backstory - just that it was going on and that the husband was the bad'un. They had spent years painting his character with small incidents, so the listeners (as the only ones privy to their private relationship) knew he was evil, while all the other characters were taken in by him and thought she was the one with the problem. I think there was a general public frustration along the lines of "Can't you see what he is like? Get out!"
I guess that may have had some effect, in making people realise how those around a victim can miss it, and making people examine the relationships of those around them with a newer eye. If people felt that much for a fictional character, then what if it was happening to someone close to you and this time you were the 'other character' who didn't 'get it'?
I think if there has been a positive effect, that may have been it.

Re the trial, the consensus (to my limited knowledge) seemed to be that the evidence against her was so strong that any jury had to convict, but The Archers couldn't let an 'innocent' woman go to prison! People were working out how the scriptwriters could get out of the hole they had dug for themselves. I don't know if those testimonies against him were a surprise to listeners - I guess that was it.

I am glad your niece got out OK - it must be so frustrating to find that has happened to someone you love.
The law is never going to be a good instrument for dealing with human emotional behaviour, in cases like that, is it, because it deals in facts and evidence. And the point about that type of controlling behaviour is that so often it warps someone's reality - maybe that of everyone involved - their idea of what is normal and right.
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 12:18:19 PM

Chazlee wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Judge Camp, his wife, and daughter

"But (Judge Robin) Camp has since paid a justice, law professor and psychologist to mentor him about the law as well as the trauma of sexual assault.
His daughter Lauren Lee Camp, who is a rape victim herself, called her father's behavior 'disgraceful', but claimed he is a changed man with 'a new kind of sensitivity and understanding', according to the Globe and Mail. (He had been understanding and supportive of her when she was raped.)
Closing arguments in the judicial review take place Monday. The Canadian Judicial Council will then forward its final recommendation to the federal justice minister." Brackets are my addition from further reading.

Read More

This incident may make him a better, more careful judge in all areas, and also be a reminder to all judges to watch their words and attitudes, and apply the golden rule above all else. Fortunately there are appeals of cases and this one was appealed. This case took place two years ago in 2014.

I agree with his lawyer that his insensitive, rude comments are not grounds for dismissal especially since he (and others) learned from it. He has been humiliated and reprimanded as punishment, has apologized and taken steps to educate himself and change his attitudes, and I believe in second chances. This is a human being we are talking about, not just some figure in the news and no matter which country he comes from he and his family deserve some empathy for a first offence. He has been a good judge till now.

I will post results if I remember when it happens.

Wow, I just realized that the judge is only holding hands with the woman on his left, in the picture, but not his daughter. Now I wonder if he blames his daughter for getting raped? Remember that this guy gave a rape victim instructions on what she should have done to not have allowed herself to be raped. So, one can just imagine what he said to his daughter after she was raped. Really, look at the picture which was posted. The daughter, who said her father's words were disgraceful, is looking down. She can't even face the camera. She knows a lot about her dad, but she wants to stick by him. Great daughter. Not such a great father. Canada, you deserve better.

Is there no way we have the picture of this (hopefully forever) former judge taken down? He looks so arrogant, and the woman whose hand he is holding, looks so uncomfortable. His daughter looks like she is wondering "Why do I have to be next to this cretin?" This unfortunate woman was raped, and her father blames a woman who said she was raped for being responsible for the rape. One can just imagine what her father said to her when she told him that she was raped. Canada, you deserve better than this (hopefully forever) former judge.
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 12:27:03 PM

Judge Camp poses for a picture before court.

Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 12:58:20 PM

taurine wrote:
A nice photo, certain Hope123.
Regretfully, I am 86 years old, and your interesting looking daughter is well beyond of my dream;-)

(Poor woman)

Wow, did Hope already send you a PM? She sent me 2. She really wastes no time when she finds a friend. BTW, what do you mean by "interesting looking?" Was that an insult about Hope's daughter? In English, we often say something is "interesting" when we mean strange or unusual, so I am just wondering. Think
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 1:12:37 PM

Thanks, Thar. My niece did get out and I think the fear of what he might still do to her physically if he catches her alone is less now.

As you mention, you just never know about neighbors and friends. I found out in 1975 the day we were moving many miles away from B.C. to Ontario that our next door neighbor, a CEO of a big company, was beating his wife. I have never forgiven myself for standing there with paralyzed lips that morning when I went to say goodbye and saw her purple face after hearing a loud fight and crash the night before in the condo. People didn't talk about it then, so at least that is heading in the right direction. I often wonder what ever happened to them once their 4 teenaged kids were gone.

Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 1:42:39 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Thanks, Thar. My niece did get out and I think the fear of what he might still do to her physically if he catches her alone is less now.

As you mention, you just never know about neighbors and friends. I found out in 1975 the day we were moving many miles away from B.C. to Ontario that our next door neighbor, a CEO of a big company, was beating his wife. I have never forgiven myself for standing there with paralyzed lips that morning when I went to say goodbye and saw her purple face after hearing a loud fight and crash the night before in the condo. People didn't talk about it then, so at least that is heading in the right direction. I often wonder what ever happened to them once their 4 teenaged kids were gone.

Officer Hope, do you mind if I suggest that your posts are very boring and don't belong here? Personal information about your neighbors? Does it really have a place here? I thought that is what the PM is suppose to be used for on this site. Why don't you cool it? Your neighbors? Really? Give us all a break with this stuff.
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 2:06:14 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Officer Hope,
Can you please leave personal information about others out of your posts? We have no idea if you are telling the truth, and we really don't need to hear your second-hand information. (I wonder if you have contacted the people who you are attacking and, possibly, lying about in your posts).
You include family information in your posts. Are we your therapists? Are you unable to write a post in which your family is not mentioned?
Can you cool it?
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 2:19:07 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Officer Hope,
If you are feeling guilty about not helping people who may have been in need, then why do we need to read about it? If you had "paralyzed lips" then why don't you have "paralyzed fingers?" Then we would not have to read about your life regrets.
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 2:37:29 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Really, Officer Hope, you saw someone with a "purple face after hearing a loud fight and crash the night before in the condo," and you did nothing. Yet, when a person posts a message you don't like, you attack the person quickly. Do you think it was cowardice which stopped you from helping someone in need? Do you think it is bravery which allows you to stand strongly against a person who posts a message online? I need to know Officer Hope.
Please post your message so everyone can read it. Sending me a PM, which you have done twice, is not going to be interesting to others.
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 3:00:52 PM

Hope123 wrote:
The BBC should be praised - and it is helping people. I may have mentioned this anecdote about my niece before, but emotional abuse happens more than we realize, I think. I would never have thought of it happening to my family but -

My niece has a stalking ex - he controlled and abused her emotionally and I suspect physically - until she got up the courage to get out and get a divorce just before the second child was born. (I suspect the second child was a marital rape but am not going to ask. It was not my business. She's a beautiful child and we are glad to have her.) He was Mr. Charming until they married. After they split he followed her around, threatening her. He tried to get her fired, has not paid child support, and he took her to court three times over nothing till the judge told him to stop using the courts to try to punish her. The older boy was allowed at 12 to make a decision and he refuses to ever see his father again. The girl is now ten, so my niece has two years to go to deal with this sicko. He has a new live-in but can't seem to move on after ten years.

If my niece had not had my brother and his wife to support her both financially and emotionally, I don't know how she would have made out.

I'm glad Canada has the rule about children making the decision at age 12. I wonder what other countries do.

Officer Hope,

Why do your posts include so much information about your family members? You have told us more than we need to know about your "niece." Is this site like "Dear Abby" for you? Are you using this site in order to avoid paying for personal therapy sessions? We have now learned so much about Hope's family. However, are we better off for having discovered these things? Not at all. Hope feels better, I guess. You write a lot about your family. Why should the rest of us be interested? Ok, you apparently have a messed up family, based on what you have written. Again, I think you need to join the crowd. Your posts are actually meaningless.
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 3:20:12 PM

Neurons: 325,872
Honestly, Chazlee, the way you have been defending yourself in this thread reminds me of the way Trump takes to twitter when things don't go his way. This is light years away from how you used to disagree with people on this forum. It's childish and it's taking away from the topic this thread was supposed to be about.
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 3:41:31 PM

Lotje1000 wrote:
Honestly, Chazlee, the way you have been defending yourself in this thread reminds me of the way Trump takes to twitter when things don't go his way. This is light years away from how you used to disagree with people on this forum. It's childish and it's taking away from the topic this thread was supposed to be about.

I started this thread and I have been attacked by many people for my original post. If you had taken the time to read what has been written about me with the personal attacks, then you would understand why I am responding in the way I have been doing.

If you don't like what I have written in defense of myself, then join the crowd. I do not care what you think. I criticized a Canadian judge who verbally attacked a woman who had been possibly raped. Some idiot attacked me on this site after I wrote my post and then others joined in to defend the person who was attacking me. Their comments about me were based on things I had written about Trump. I defended myself, and I have been defending myself ever since for my original post. So, what is your problem?

Your opinion of me does not matter. I did nothing more than defend myself from people who did not like what I had to say. I have been told by some people on this site how to respond to others who attack me, and I refused to listen to this advice. Just like I am now refusing to listen to you.

BTW, you are not loved on this site. Actually, I think you are not even liked. So, joining others who attack me will not win you friends. They will use your posts to prove their point, and feel better about themselves, but someone who has had so strong an opinion about things as you have had needs to know you will be used by others.

Still, what do I care? If you come along with posts I don't agree with, or posts which insult me, which you did, then you need to deal with that.

BTW, I will never join forces with your friend FounDit. He is not very bright, and neither are you. Ok, let's fight.
thar
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 5:12:42 PM

I don't think this poster can be reasoned with at the moment. I think he or she is having some sort of crisis, and spewing hate is just a symptom. Spending all day searching out news stories on Trump can do that to a person! Whistle These things pass - members rarely keep up such offensive behaviour for long - they tend to leave when they run out of people to insult.

I haven't been reading the non-constructive posts, but I did read Lotje's, (because Lotje has interesting things to say) so I caught the reply.

I hope nobody is even reading that spew, let alone taking offence. (Hope, I hope you know better - at its best this forum is a great sharing community) It is just pitiable and and not worth engaging with.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 10:41:58 PM

Yes, Thar. It is best just to ignore this type of behavior.

Sorry you got involved too Lotje!

thar
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:12:09 AM

Yes. I have only just read all the posts in this thread (well, not all of them, that would remove the mystery!). I wasn't reading them all before, just selecting whose I read.
I would have protested too, if I had been aware - as Lotje did (very politely, considering!)
Not right that you were subjected to that. Edit - and taurine too.
It seems to have been stopped now, though.

edited
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:27:02 AM

Thar I appreciated Lotje stepping in and I was not saying Lotje shouldn't have protested - I was apologizing that Lotje as well as me is now a target in other threads because of my original protest. However, I am not sorry I said something politely, asking only that people not be targets of mocking. I didn't think that was too much to ask.

Listening . . .
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:41:42 AM

Neurons: 3,702
Hope123 wrote:
Thar I appreciated Lotje stepping in and I was not saying Lotje shouldn't have protested - I was apologizing that Lotje as well as me is now a target in other threads because of my original protest. However, I am not sorry I said something politely, asking only that people not be targets of mocking. I didn't think that was too much to ask.

I wanted to help but realized long ago there is no reasoning with the unreasonable. I am embarrassed that this person is an American and representing us so horrifically. You all handled your response so nicely - you are the reason this site is so pleasant (even when we don't agree!). I actually do come to this site to hear your perspective! Hoping for positive motion as we go forward. Anxious
thar
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:17:24 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Oh, no, I didn't read that into it at all. I didn't mean that.
I was just expressing some shock - I had written my previous post (about ignoring it) in response to the posts directly before it, the reply to Lotje's very reasonable admonishment - at that point I hadn't seen the earlier ones, aimed at you.
When I looked back over more of the thread and did read them I felt I had to say something more, because I was so shocked at the sudden splurge of such posts - and a bit embarrassed I had missed it happening and not jumped in then!
Given that Lotje clearly had read those previous posts, I was expressing admiration that Lotje had been able show such self-restraint and keep to such a well-mannered response!

So I definitely wasn't criticising your response. Or your response to my response to Chaz's reply to Lotje's reponse. Or taurine's. Or Listening's (well, it seemed rude to leave anybody out) Whistle

Listening - no worries - something is clearly going on here that I don't understand, but we can't control other people, only ourselves. I do understand it is just people who post here, with all our good and bad points, wisdom and issues, misunderstandings and offence-taking, eye-opening new viewpoints and old prejudices. Not representative of anybody but ourselves.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:36:16 PM

Thar, you made me laugh out loud. One of the reasons I find TFD so great is the laughs I get unexpectedly. (As well as learning stuff.)

Quote Thar - "So I definitely wasn't criticising your response. Or your response to my response to Chaz's reply to Lotje's reponse. Or taurine's. Or Listening's (well, it seemed rude to leave anybody out) Whistle "

Kerry.P
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:11:01 PM

Neurons: 12,980
And I'm jumping on board now to add my two-pence worth.

_ _ _ _It's OK to apologise. _ _ _ _

This is addressed to anyone on TFD who cares to read it.

Sometime back I received a strong condemnantion and denial on something I had posted. Within a relatively short time the person who made that statement had reviewed what they'd said, reviewed the facts and graciously apologised to me for the unpleasantness. I valued their apology.

We might not have a lot of values in common, and their opinion/viewpoint might not have changed, but the common value of courtesy was upheld.

That's all.
Listening . . .
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:06:22 AM

Neurons: 3,702
Kerry.P wrote:
And I'm jumping on board now to add my two-pence worth.

_ _ _ _It's OK to apologise. _ _ _ _

This is addressed to anyone on TFD who cares to read it.

Sometime back I received a strong condemnantion and denial on something I had posted. Within a relatively short time the person who made that statement had reviewed what they'd said, reviewed the facts and graciously apologised to me for the unpleasantness. I valued their apology.

We might not have a lot of values in common, and their opinion/viewpoint might not have changed, but the common value of courtesy was upheld.

That's all.

Applause Applause Applause Kerry, your two pence are worth quite a bit more!
Chazlee
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:19:53 PM

I hope this judge is not still abusing the good people in Canada. Rape victims need to be heard. They do not need to be lectured to by a judge who does not care about them. Canada, you deserve better.

Peace.

Judge Camp poses for pictures.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:58:38 PM

Chazlee, I guess they are not going to publicize the panel's recommendation. "The panel will forward its recommendation to the full Canadian Judicial Council, which will then make a final recommendation to the federal justice minister."

At least I couldn't find the interim report. It may take a while - justice is a slow process, and the CDN public complains about that too.

Here are a couple of links for you about what has been happening in Canada's justice system. We need some improvements. In particular in the Alberta one, which is a province of Canada. I have not heard anything about other provinces. Many things have been happening in Canada recently to bring any bad treatment of women out into the open - a good thing. This is just one of them. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. One cannot fix a problem until one knows all the facts of what the problem is and how to deal with it.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2945530/travis-vader-verdict-robin-camp-controversy-why-dont-alberta-judges-know-the-law/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/12/justice-robin-camp_n_11982850.html

Recently with Canada's new Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Canada is becoming a country that is envied for its outlook on justice and rights for all, regardless of gender, culture, or anything that sets people apart into groups. Our country has a long way to go to be perfect but we do tend to listen and try to improve. Our investigative journalists have a lot to do with that. It does take time for outlooks to change.