The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Political Civility Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2017 1:17:16 PM

Neurons: 37,008
Yes, The Democrats there did hold their noses and act civilly. They took the high road as always. That's the kind of good people they are.
Edited to add - they put their country and democracy first over themselves.

Sorry, Parser. But the following does not come off as political civilty to me. It comes off as pure BS. After what he said and did, I know BS when I hear it.

"Addressing both Hillary and Bill Clinton at the inaugural luncheon on Friday, Trump said he was “honored” they even attended the inauguration.

“I think it’s very important,” Trump told the luncheon. “And I’d like you to stand up. I’d like you to stand up.”

The Clintons stood and were soon joined by the other guests, who applauded.

“And honestly, there’s nothing more I can say, because I have great respect for those two people,” Trump said."

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 5:03:12 AM

Neurons: 20,143
Yesterday hundreds of thousands of women (and their men supporters) marched in Washington, D.C., and in many other American cities.

The marchers made speeches in which they expressed dislike and contempt and hatred for President Trump.

The marchers succeeded in embarrassing President Trump and the United States of America in front of all the world's nations, many of which are enemies of this country.

The marchers are proud of themselves for what they did yesterday.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:07:20 AM

Neurons: 161,303
TheParser wrote:
Yesterday hundreds of thousands of women (and their men supporters) marched in Washington, D.C., and in many other American cities.

The marchers made speeches in which they expressed dislike and contempt and hatred for President Trump.

The marchers succeeded in embarrassing President Trump and the United States of America in front of all the world's nations, many of which are enemies of this country.

How did they embarrass the US?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:13:56 AM

If it embarrassed the US, then I guess the entire world is embarrassed.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-women-march-on-washington/
(CNN)The Women's March extended beyond the United States, as similar protests cropped up around the world over women's rights and other issues the marchers fear could be under threat from Donald Trump's presidency.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:15:18 AM

TheParser wrote:

I am also proud of them. And if I'd been able, I would have joined them.

progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:36:40 AM

TheParser wrote:

Oh, and it was actually more than a million.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/one-million-marchers-outside-washington/index.html

Lotje1000
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 9:55:13 AM

Neurons: 351,761
TheParser wrote:

They definitely embarrassed Trump, but I'd say they improved the US' reputation in my eyes, recovering some of what Trump so happily destroys. It's impressive to stand up for what you believe, especially if it's against a president.

If anyone is embarrassing the US, it's Trump. His entire discourse is very divisive and destructive. He insults people at a whim and he displays no confidence in important groups in the US, both of regular people (ethnic or religious groups, for instance) and institutions (intelligence services). The way he insults his own people embarrasses the US in the eyes of the world.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:46:00 AM

Parser thinks he speaks for the entire country. Something I find interesting.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 12:38:06 PM

Parser, Trump has been the laughing stock of America ever since he put his name in for the campaign. If anyone should be embarrassed, it is those who for what ever reason, fell for his lies. He is still angry and lying - saying that the press altered the number of people at his inauguration and showed fewer than his ego allows. The fact that there are photos means nothing to him. He is out of touch with reality where his insecurity is affected. His policies might even be fine if it were 1944. People do not want to go back there.

It seems to me that Trump takes the oxygen out of any setting he enters. And we are getting short of that.

:::::::

https://www.facebook.com/cnn/videos/10155946716016509/

And another about around-the-world marches.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-women-march-on-washington/

:::::

Canada all cross the nation was there too in solidarity with the men and women who marched to show they will not take it sitting down if the rights of ANY citizens are tampered with.

Mactoria on another thread and Obama both urged people who agree to get involved, let your rep know, write letters, and even run for office yourself if you see anyone's rights being trampled.

And that is for EVERY country, not just the US.

almo 1
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 12:56:58 PM

Neurons: 2,658
progpen wrote:

That's what I thought too.

He sounds like a teacher.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 1:03:37 PM

Hope123 wrote:

"Addressing both Hillary and Bill Clinton at the inaugural luncheon on Friday, Trump said he was “honored” they even attended the inauguration.

“I think it’s very important,” Trump told the luncheon. “And I’d like you to stand up. I’d like you to stand up.”

The Clintons stood and were soon joined by the other guests, who applauded.

“And honestly, there’s nothing more I can say, because I have great respect for those two people,” Trump said."

1. This computer illiterate thanks you so much for posting the president's gracious words, especially in light of the fact that the lady classified 50% of the president's supporters as the "deplorables." [Learners: "deplorable" means something like a person who deserves to be disliked or even hated.]

2. Millions of Americans are thrilled to finally have a president who believes that everyone deserves equal rights.

3. The "liberal" media have just announced that they are hiring more reporters in the hope of uncovering some dirt on the president.

4. Many of the activists on Saturday said that they are eagerly awaiting the day when he will have to resign. One aging pop star told a crowd that she did not want to wait. She said that she wanted to do something physical to the White House. (I am not allowed to repeat her vile threat.)
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:37:03 PM

Parser, First of all, you are welcome - and are also welcome with freedom of opinion to interpret what I posted as the opposite to how I did.

But I did not ignore the facts that Trump had a reality show with her husband's accusers before a debate to embarrass her and try to throw her off her game, which didn't work, he encouraged people to chant "Lock her Up", and suggested her security be removed and that the "Second Amendment" people might look after her then. He threatened to jail her, knowing full well a president does not even have power over the Justice Dept. He said miserable things about her service etc. Pretty low blows even for a US political campaign.

And the Clintons used to be his friends. So if you can stomach his polite words now knowing he does not mean them, then you have a better stomach than I have. And he did not even do it till the luncheon later - probably after being prompted, but then that's only my opinion. There were ways he could have made the words be more believable and sincere but he has shown over and over again he doesn't know how. You don't say you have respect for them when you treated them like dirt. Actions speak louder than words.

Since you bring it up again, I am also posting, once again, Hillary's words and how the second half of her message is still being ignored.

And many of his supporters have turned out to be deplorable. She later stood by it but lowered the percentage. And from videos I have seen, I will add - ignorant as well. See end of post. Furthermore, the campaign is over. Why do Trump's supporters think that any comparison to anyone else helps him?

Anyhow, please reread her words again.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

It is incredible to me that you think Trump stands for the rights of everyone when he has attacked minorities, sexuality/genders, and women consistently. And check out the lack of diversity in the people he has put around him. Also, the LGBT government official website was removed hours after the inauguration.

I agree with your implication that people should not be saying they are awaiting his resignation. It is not going to happen. But don't spin what Madonna said into a "vile threat". She actually said she had thought about it but it would not help so chose love instead. And if anyone is offended by the f-bombs she dropped, I hope they were also offended by the pussy talk. I am not afraid to post it - the quote is from a website - gotta go look for it again -

"After leading the crowd in chants of "Yes, we're ready," Madonna added, "I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the White House, and I know this won't change anything. We cannot fall into despair." Instead, she said that she would "choose love
."

As I already said - people who disagree should run for office and work legally to do what they can to promote their views. That is - put their money where their mouth is.

::::

I saw a video a couple of days ago of people on the streets of LA being asked if they preferred the Affordable Care Act to Obamacare. All but one said the Affordable Care was more affordable than Obamacare. And that one person still did not know they are one and the same. One young adult admitted to being very stoned. Didn't know if he even had healthcare but his Mom would know. I have seen several of these videos on varying political topics with the same results.

As I said, the reality is that he is president, but people, and not just Democratic officials as the Republicans did with Obama, are putting him on notice that they are not going to accept the removal of rights without a big fight.

Trump may even end up doing well for the US but we hope he does not destroy it and/or the world in the process by the way he goes about things and when he can't leave any criticism alone. Time will tell.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:54:54 PM

Parser, I'm on an iPad so it may be a bit different to a computer.

But if you wish to post a photo, you click on the sixth box from the left on the Settings above Font color, and this comes up.

[img] [/img I have to leave off the last bracket to get it to post what I typed.

Then click between the two sets of brackets and paste the url with your photo between them. You do need a source such as Photobucket that collects your images. Photobucket is easy and free to join and it is easy to upload any photo and then copy the URL they give you to paste it between the images mentioned above.

As for links to a website, often all you have to do is copy the URL at the top of the website you wish to copy and paste it on here. However, if not all the link is copied, then you click on the green ball and chain link and get a box that says Enter URL. I have found I have to delete the http that is also there before I paste the URL because the http part is already included in what I am going to paste. Anyhow, you just paste your URL there and follow instructions.

Hope this helps in the future. If I can help, let me know. But I'm not very computer literate either, so maybe others can explain it better or give different methods.

progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 5:55:31 PM

TheParser wrote:
3. The "liberal" media have just announced that they are hiring more reporters in the hope of uncovering some dirt on the president.

If mainstream media is hiring more reporters, that would be a good thing...right Parser? Unless you hate the same media that gave your candidate the presidency.

TheParser wrote:
4. Many of the activists on Saturday said that they are eagerly awaiting the day when he will have to resign. One aging pop star told a crowd that she did not want to wait. She said that she wanted to do something physical to the White House. (I am not allowed to repeat her vile threat.)

One anecdote means that much to you? So how much should this mean to you then?
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/25/1164628/--President-Barack-Obama-Is-the-Most-Threatened-President-In-History

Angry middle class white males made Obama the most threatened president in history. I'm failing to see how one angry woman is in the same league.

Please, enlighten us Parser.

progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 6:31:46 PM

almo 1 wrote:
progpen wrote:

That's what I thought too.

He sounds like a teacher.

None of the teachers I know would ever talk like Parser. Parser preaches. Teachers teach.

progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 6:41:38 PM

One thing that we need to remember is that political civility (political correctness) is only a good thing when the right wing extremists are feeling picked on. Then and only then will you hear the right wing extremists talk about P.C. and even then it will be veiled in threats of violence.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:00:37 PM

Since the 'deplorable' criticism came up again because some Trump supporters felt they were not racists etc. and should not be included in that category, I thought this placard seen at the march yesterday was a propos here... Just another way of looking at it -

Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 2:20:32 AM

TheParser wrote:
2. Millions of Americans are thrilled to finally have a president who believes that everyone deserves equal rights.

Because Obama was not in support of equal rights?

Or because now everyone's got the right to be grabbed by the pussy? Would you like to be grabbed by your President, TheParser? Seems only fair that if women have that right, then you should have it, too.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 5:42:42 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it."

Thank you for your courteous comments.

I answer in behalf (not "on behalf) of those members and guests who do not wish to post their respectful disagreement with Secretary Clinton's words. (They quite wisely realize that it is a waste of their valuable time. Since I am retired, I have time to reply.)

The liberals since the end of World War II have been very successful in stopping discrimination against people of color, women, and gay people. I congratulate them. It was simply wrong that people of color could not enter "Whites Only" business establishments or that women could not get certain jobs or that undercover police officers entrapped gay men.

Most of the people who supported President Trump agree with me, I am sure.

Most of President Trump's supporters are NOT racist, sexist, etc.

They are just ordinary people who do not like some of the things that are happening in this country (for example: foreigners who completely ignore our immigration laws; police officers who are immediately blamed when they shoot a violent individual, etc.).

Many of President Trump's supporters did not vote in 2008 and 2012. The system had completely turned them off.

Then along came a candidate that was electrifying.

He said what he actually thought.

What a difference from politicians who will say anything to get elected -- and to earn respect from the Establishment.

Many a journalist is hoping that s/he will be the one to bring down President Trump.

They remember the two reporters who helped bring down President Nixon.

During the time that he is in office, his supporters hope that he can accomplish a few things or at least slow some things down.

He and his supporters are not stupid. They realize that many things have gone past the point of no return.

Many of the activists are screaming and yelling and weeping because that is the role of an activist. During the time that Mr. Trump is president, the activists will be raising more money than ever!

Have a nice day!

progpen
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:21:56 AM

TheParser wrote:

They just don't see racism and sexism as an issue, because they have decided to believe "alternative truths", because it's easier than thinking for yourself and learning the facts.

TheParser wrote:
They are just ordinary people who do not like some of the things that are happening in this country (for example: foreigners who completely ignore our immigration laws; police officers who are immediately blamed when they shoot a violent individual, etc.).

Racism based on "alternative truths".

TheParser wrote:
During the time that he is in office, his supporters hope that he can accomplish a few things or at least slow some things down.

This sentence doesn't mean anything. Accomplish what? Slow what down?

TheParser wrote:
He and his supporters are not stupid. They realize that many things have gone past the point of no return.

And what we have seen is that many Trump supporters have decided to become Anarchists and/or support Anarchism.

TheParser wrote:
Many of the activists are screaming and yelling and weeping because that is the role of an activist.

This is just the childishness of right wing extremists. When the activists say what I want, they are good, but when they are not they are bad.

TheParser wrote:
Have a nice day!

You do have the passive aggressive thing down pat. Congratulations on that Parser.

progpen
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:46:01 AM

And I do understand that Parser will never lower himself to such a level as to actually reply to me or even acknowledge my existence beyond displaying me as "one of those people", so I don't actually expect any kind of answer.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 10:32:59 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:
TheParser wrote:

Because Obama was not in support of equal rights?

I missed that, Lotje. Of course! It makes sense. Obama was considered to be black. Although I just saw online a reference to him as "that damn mulatto".

Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 11:29:53 AM

TheParser wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it."

Thank you for your courteous comments. Back "atcha".

I answer in behalf (not "on behalf) of those members and guests who do not wish to post their respectful disagreement with Secretary Clinton's words. (They quite wisely realize that it is a waste of their valuable time. Since I am retired, I have time to reply.)

The liberals since the end of World War II have been very successful in stopping discrimination against people of color, women, and gay people. I congratulate them. It was simply wrong that people of color could not enter "Whites Only" business establishments or that women could not get certain jobs or that undercover police officers entrapped gay men.

The problem is that although activists have tried mightily, it has never been stopped, it just went underground, and it is rearing its ugly head even more now. The truth has to be admitted - there is racism and misogny in both Canada and the US. The reasons it worse in the US is because of its history and size. Canadians are no better than Americans when it comes to these failings.

Most of the people who supported President Trump agree with me, I am sure.

Not sure what they agree with you about in this sequence of sentences, but yes, you all probably have a similar outlook

I agree. Many probably are not - but some are well known White Supremacists and that is who Clinton was talking about. The rest just stood by and watched as Trump encouraged it, voted for him, and then rationalized their behavior with other facts such as your next statements. There is an old saying: Birds of a feather...

I support the police and so did Obama. He had to see both sides. He had both groups in to try to mediate some sort of understanding between them. The problem was that not all these victims were violent - in fact some were shot in the back, with videos to prove it. That is when the blame happened immediately. And blacks are much more likely to die over a traffic stop and are even targeted with what they call in Canada "Carding". It is a shame that black people have to fear those who are supposed to protect them.

Many of President Trump's supporters did not vote in 2008 and 2012. The system had completely turned them off.

Why?

This phenomenon has happened in Canada too as people are busy just living and take voting as too much trouble to exercise their right and forget democracy is also a responsibility.

Then along came a candidate that was electrifying.

He said what he actually thought. What a difference from politicians who will say anything to get elected -- and to earn respect from the Establishment.

Yes he said what he thought - unfortunately a very high percentage of it was lies according to fact checkers. He told a friend in 2013 he would use the media to get elected - which he did - and now he dumps them. You may not have noticed but that is how Trump works. Use the press, construction workers, women, wives, etc. and then dump them when they are no longer useful. Once he had his following he uses Twitter to spread his lies and the press is called liars when they dare to point out things embarrassing to him.

Trump said and did far more and far worse just to get elected. I do so wish you could see both sides.

Many a journalist is hoping that s/he will be the one to bring down President Trump. They remember the two reporters who helped bring down President Nixon.

I think the press is just trying to do its job and keep the presidency and administration honest. But Conway and Trump and the press secty have decided it is not in their best interests to cooperate. Did you see the combative Conway with respected reporter Chuck Todd? And her "alternative facts"? The press is also discussed in my thread on Dan Rather so I won't go into that here.

No, they haven't realized it has gone past the point of no return - they are still perpetuating petty stupid lies that don't matter about how many attended the inauguration and have not said a word about the millions who marched peacefully all over the world in opposition.

Many of the activists are screaming and yelling and weeping because that is the role of an activist. During the time that Mr. Trump is president, the activists will be raising more money than ever!

The millions who marched cannot be written off as activists. They are scared, worried, upstanding ordinary Americans, and people around the world marched in solidarity for women. Trump was the background target as catalyst who has raised the spectre of a woman not being able to control her own body again - among other things. As a man you can never understand what it would be like to have that right taken from you.

I have never been involved in any protest before, but if I had not been ill, even at my age and even considering I hate crowds, I would have considered going - for my granddaughters and grandsons as well as all women.

Have a nice day!

You too!

The way it is ending this thread should have been in Politics. Let's save "Knowledge and Culture" for less contentious topics?

Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:51:35 AM

Hope123 wrote:
"Not all Trump supporters are racist, but all of them decided that racism isn't a deal breaker."

I'm just going to repeat this hear because it hits the nail on the head.

How people love to excuse themselves from issues that don't directly concern them by saying "but not all X are Y!".
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:55:30 AM

Hope123 wrote:

"Most of President Trump's supporters are NOT racist." [wrote TheParser]

I agree.

Thank you for agreeing.

You read the news much more carefully than I do.

So you have undoubtedly read about the search for a candidate to head the Democratic National Committee, which is something like the official head of the Democratic Party.

I have just read that some candidates for that job have said some very "unkind" things about the current majority ethnicity in this country.

I assume that those candidates do NOT reflect the views of most Democrats.

Have a nice day!
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:26:42 AM

TheParser wrote:
I have just read that some candidates for that job have said some very "unkind" things about the current majority ethnicity in this country.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here and since there is nothing to substantiate it, I can only disregard it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/keith-ellison-dnc-resistance-231575

Keith Ellison is a favorite for DNC chair, but is getting resistance, not because he's black or Muslim but because he's a sitting congressman. Debbie Wasserman Schultz made a mess of it when she was DNC Chair, not because she was a sitting congresswoman, but because she was far too cozy with corporate interests and big money.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:25:56 PM

Lotje1000 wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
"Not all Trump supporters are racist, but all of them decided that racism isn't a deal breaker."

I'm just going to repeat this here because it hits the nail on the head.

How people love to excuse themselves from issues that don't directly concern them by saying "but not all X are Y!".

Parser, just to make sure you understood and are not taking my two words out of context, I didn't give them a complete pass! Presenting sound bites is how the media does things to create spin for both sides.

The current majority ethnicity is white. It would be much better if you supplied details and did not leave people hanging with innuendo - it comes off too much like spin to me. I have not looked at any news today at all - taking a break from all the nonsense. So please fill me in.

TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:45:49 AM

Hope123 wrote:
So please fill me in.

Thank you for your note.

Every morning, millions of people in this country and in the world (if there is Internet freedom in their countries) start the day by reading the 30 or so headlines (with links) on the wonderful Drudge Report, the website that gives us the news that the mainstream media refuse to do.

I learned that at a meeting of candidates for the chair of the DNC, one candidate, a Caucasian woman, said that she wanted the job because she would do her best to make sure that Caucasians "shut their mouths." Ms. X also said that she would remind Caucasians that they lived lives of "privilege." All the other candidates applauded when she declared that Caucasians are the only ones who are responsible for racism.

I hope that I was able to fill you in on what at least one deplorable has been up to. (She is the chair of the Idaho Democratic Party.)

Have a nice day!

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:09:51 AM

Neurons: 36,967

Missed out, Hope? Here's what 'millions of people in [America] and the rest of the world' woke up to to-day, then:

Four more journalist were arrested for covering the March on Saturday - bringing to 6 the number who now face a 10 year sentence and monetary fines for exercising the freedom of the Press to report facts.

He's signed the papers also for the Yellow Brick Road (the 'wall'!) to go ahead.

The Mexican Ambassador is in town to meet him and the Mexican President is scheduled for a meeting next week. Trumpt repeated the fairy-tale that Mexico will pay for the wall despite their constant refutation of this - an act which one country can't force upon another.

He has, as you know, ALREADY taken women's rights over their own bodies away from half the entire population of America and endangered the lives of women & children across the world whom America had pledged to support with Aid.

He's also signed papers freezing all immigration. He's reduced the numbers of ' tired, poor,huddled masses yearning to breathe free,' America will allow in; in contravention of the world agreement to help

He's pulled America out of the TPP - which, of course, includes his (one-time?) allies, Australia and New Zealand.

He is, of course, still using Twitter like a demented teenager.

As you probably know, international translators across the world are in turmoil as they find it difficult to translate the incoherent, wandering, unconnected' words he utters; and have no idea what to do with words like 'bigly''.(That came out a few days ago, but was continued to-day)

Also, China has now said that as America is cutting themselves off from the rest of the world, it will fall to them to become the new leaders of the FREE world. (Actually, you should get hold of Xi's speech and those of other Chinese diplomats. Oh, the irony!).

And tons of article, vox pops etc. about his instant retaliation for people across the world rising to support women's issues, anti-Fascism and human rights. He signed their death warrants with repealing aid to struggling clinics and organisations both home and abroad by punishing women.

He hasn't said a word about the impeachment process, nor about Tuesday's proceedings to sue him for not abiding by the injunctions to present his Tax returns or separate the office of President from his business interests.

So there you go - don't feel out of touch: - Trump is still unravelling freedom, democracy, truth and justice at the rate of knots. In a matter of 5 days he has managed to impact upon the entire world in a negative way.

Absinthius
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:02:01 AM

Neurons: 19,401
Oh Romany, can't you see that all those things pale in comparison to reading that some white tart said something inappropriate during a DNC meeting?

The revolutionary Trollnald Dump is a necessity to get the world running smoothly again. Freedom is worthless if it lets people say things that WE do not agree with!!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:02:34 PM

Neurons: 36,967

Abs -

Woops! Silly me! Keep forgetting he is the Greatest president in the world, the greatest wall-builder (those tiny hands, it seems, can really handle a brick!), the greatest businessman, respecter of women, etcetera, etcetera.

It's so hard trying to remember what the truth is each day. So glad I've read 1984 over a few times: must keep the hashtag '#We've always been at war with Eastasia' in the forefront of my mind!
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:25:54 PM

Brown suggested that members of the Democratic Party were prejudiced and that white people needed to learn more about what minorities experienced...

'Until we shut our mouths,' she argued at the forum, 'We're not going to break through this'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4154226/Shut-white-people-argues-DNC-chair-hopeful.html#ixzz4Wo4Undhb

I'm sorry, Parser. She may have phrased it poorly, but I don't see too much wrong with saying whites need to learn more about what minorities experienced - because we do. We are privileged unfortunately and do need to listen. I would think that even if it had been a Trump supporter saying it.

BTW - If Trump is praised for "telling it like it is", why isn't she?

Once again people need to read the whole story while trying to see both sides and then they can try make up their minds as to which POV to take here. So I posted the link. Edited - Actually, we should all be listening to the real speech and not some person's summary of it. That is if one really cares while trying to decide a vote.

And I had to try several searches before I even found what I was looking for.

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:18:37 AM

Hope123 wrote:
BTW - If Trump is praised for "telling it like it is", why isn't she?

Hear hear! And the answer to that would sadly be that people don't like hearing inconvenient truths.
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:36:55 AM

Thank you, Hope, for your interesting comments.

You once wrote that research shows that when people have their views criticized, they tend to double down.

Debate, in other words, is futile

I admit that President Trump will fail in his reform efforts, for too many people (both "liberals" and "conservatives") benefit from the status quo.

I realize that your side will succeed in bringing down a good man.

Within 30 years or sooner, the "liberals" will be in complete control of the country.

This will be a great win, if one feels that turning the United States into a dystopia is to be considered a victory.

I shan't waste any more of your valuable time.

Have a nice day!
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:27:23 AM

TheParser wrote:
You once wrote that research shows that when people have their views criticized, they tend to double down.

Debate, in other words, is futile

Hi, TheParser!

I hope you're having a nice day. Over here the sun is shining, bringing back some welcome warmth to our winter.

As for your post, I believe you've mistakenly linked the two coinciding statements quoted above (skipping some important steps) and believe one to be the result of the other. This way, you've come to a rather depressing conclusion. I'd like to chip in with my two cents to make sure you can continue your day with more hope.

Debate is a meaningful exchange of arguments. What the people you mentioned are doing is not debating, it is retaliating against (perceived) criticism. To truly master the skill of debating, it is important to be aware that people can have this instinctual defense mechanism and in knowing this, we can perceive this reflex in ourselves and move beyond it. The reflex has something to do with people identifying with a cause and thus, when the cause is being questioned, they themselves feel attacked.

For instance:
1. Person A might feel very strongly about America and its American values.
2. Person B might bring up that there is still a lot of racism in America.
3. Person A feels like America (and its values) are being attacked, and might exclaim "Americans are not racist! I am not racist!"

If person A were to step back, they might see that they, personally, were not being accused of racism and neither were all Americans. Person A is now free to enter the debate and argue why there is no racism left in America.

Many people also tend to feel that criticism is bad. This has to do with the personal identification with a cause, mentioned earlier. But criticism isn't bad, it is useful. It allows a person to review their notions and learn enough to change or strengthen their own opinion.

For instance, a Trump supporter might feel slighted when their president is accused of racism and yell "Hillary's a crook!", doubling down on their beliefs. However, if said hypothetical Trump supporter could step back and review the debate, they would see Hillary is not in question and could focus on the actual debate, i.e. whether their chosen president is racist or not.

Happily, this means debate is all but futile!

I hope this brought some clarity to your day, and may you have a nice one, too!