The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 81,540
I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battles or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:10:39 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Settuing up the Space program was a great can-do example.
kitten
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:15:05 AM

Neurons: 7,420
"...I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit."

Closed-circuit television broadcast on behalf of the National Cultural Center from the National Guard Armory in Washington, D.C., November 29, 1962

The Seven Minute speech, November 29th, 1962.
<<<<<< The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum

The above, out-of-context quote, reads like it is talking about war when in reality, when you listen to the speech, President Kennedy, is speaking of, 'the Arts,' and how important, 'the Arts,' are to us as a civilisation.

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:02:07 PM

Neurons: 9,052
These JFK quotes bored me.
GabhSigenod
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:02:24 PM

Neurons: 149,736
We will keep up our spirit, our direction, our faith in mankind.

Mise, tá mé lán de dea-fhortún.
Ed James
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:08:16 PM

Neurons: 3
When you read the quotations of recent Presidents, do you really think they did anything besides repeat the words of others - even though they sometimes worked with the writers it is unfortunate we seldom know who actually came up the ideas, let alone the words. But delight in them as you please.
jhadley
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:02:54 PM

Neurons: 27
What a bunch of cynics. I was 19 when Kennedy was assassinated, and I can't recall a more engaging and articulate president since. I was at a minor local rally in Queen's Park in Toronto, and the whole University of Toronto campus went silent, wept, and went home when the news was broadcast. The only other great political orator of his time (in my opinion) was Everett Dirksen, a Republican. I recall nobody in politics in the USA since that matches either. They both inspired me with their passion, even though their messages were different. President Obama is the closest replica since, and he doesn't hold a candle to either, despite his speaking from the heart (as much as politics allows).

I find it amusing that small people discredit the great ones in our collective history, never giving credit where credit is due. Oh well, that seems to be the quintessential American way. Too bad.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:17:50 PM

Neurons: 4,678
It is man's inspirations that he longs for,
what he yearns to attain,
causing him to s-t-r-e-t-ch...*leap* into the unknown.
The abyss is calling him,
swirling his dreams.
He is there!
In his sleep he IS a milky-way.

What I have discovered is that the *rapture* of love is its *power* of transformation.

If one needs to cling to "who he is", then one does *know* who he is...

He has not *aspired* to *becoming* "who he is".
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 8:36:23 AM

Neurons: 4,678
I mis-wrote what I wanted to say in my second to last line of my above post...though it is an obvious error--just in case, it is suppose to say: then one does *not* know who he is.....

Oh how I heart it that there is no correction button.:)!