The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

question from the story Options
s21d
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 12:28:51 AM

Neurons: 7,749
In the short story 'journey by night' by Norah Burke, Why did the doctors not give any official order and himself went to give the news to Sher Singh?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 4:58:59 AM

Neurons: 146,496
Hi s21d.

You will need to give a bit more of the story. I've never read it!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mactoria
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 1:42:41 AM

Neurons: 908,131
s21d: I found this short story through the on-line Google books (I'm not familiar with Norah Burke's writing, so I thought your question was a good reason to check her writing out).

What I got out of the story is that the doctor was amazed that young Sher Singh was able to carry his gravely sick brother through all of the rivers, jungles, etc....as were the people outside the hospital when Sher Singh finally got his gravely ill brother Kunwar there, despite the terrible ordeal. It was kind of miraculous that the young boy, Sher Singh, was able to do this, something that based on the rest of the story only a man like Sher Singh's father might be able to do. So the doctor came out to talk to Sher Singh himself man-to-man instead of sending an orderly or someone of lesser status to find young Sher Singh, because of his amazement and his desire to honor him for his bravery and courage.

That's at least how I read the story; perhaps someone else either familiar with the short story or who is interested in reading it at on-line google books will come up with a different explanation.