The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Man Who Shot, Killed Ohio K-9 Officer Jethro Sentenced to 45 Years in Prison" Options
Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:14:26 AM

Neurons: 3,722
In the American state of Ohio, a 23 year-old man who shot and killed a police dog "has been sentenced to 45 years in prison," for that crime and other crimes he had previously committed. Since this dog died trying to stop a crime in progress while working for the police department at the time, I personally have no problem accepting that the convicted criminal should get years added to his sentence for killing "Jethro," (that was the dog's name).

Yet, I recently had a chat with some others who felt that while the dog was doing a job helping police, since it actually is not, in their opinions, the same as shooting a police officer, then no time should be added to the criminal's sentence.

Does anyone here have any thoughts about police dogs who die while on duty?

Peace.

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/man-shot-killed-ohio-officer-jethro-sentenced-45/story?id=41645362
TiMonster
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:37:44 AM

Neurons: 10,472
The sentence shouldn't depend on whether he shot a dog or a police officer. I think the fact that he tried to kill should determine the number of years.

Are animals considered as human in the US (legally)
Blodybeef
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 4:19:42 AM

Neurons: 160,239
For adding another point of view, if we set aside the fact that the K-9 was an animal subject to animals' rights, he was the property of the Police department, hence the government.
Destroying government property beyond repair (he's dead now, he can't come back) should be punishable by law. Therefore, the criminal should at least be punished for destruction of government property.
I guess he may then be tried for killing an animal protected by law.

(Question : Would it be better, more natural if I divided the phrase set aside like : ...if we set the fact that the K-9 was an animal subject to animals' rights aside... It was my original choice, but the sentence being too long I've decided not to.)

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 4:30:27 AM

TiMonster wrote:
The sentence shouldn't depend on whether he shot a dog or a police officer. I think the fact that he tried to kill should determine the number of years.

Are animals considered as human in the US (legally)

I don't think animals are considered in the same way, legally, as human beings are in the US. However, there are laws against animal cruelty so that a person can face legal problems (fines, jail time) if it is proven that they have mistreated an animal.

Peace.
Chazlee
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 4:33:10 AM

Blodybeef wrote:
For adding another point of view, if we set aside the fact that the K-9 was an animal subject to animals' rights, he was the property of the Police department, hence the government.
Destroying government property beyond repair (he's dead now, he can't come back) should be punishable by law. Therefore, the criminal should at least be punished for destruction of government property.
I guess he may then be tried for killing an animal protected by law.

(Question : Would it be better, more natural if I divided the phrase set aside like : ...if we set the fact that the K-9 was an animal subject to animals' rights aside... It was my original choice, but the sentence being too long I've decided not to.)

Yes, that is a good point about the animal being the property of the police department, and so just like destroying a police car or any government property, then I agree there should be some punishment against the person.

Peace.