The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A most unusual cause of death: “Bagpipe lung.” Options
Chazlee
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:03:51 AM

Neurons: 3,954
There is a very interesting article about a man who throughout most of his life was in good health, such as being able to run 10 kilometers. However, by "April 2014, the 61-year-old man had spent the past seven years finding it harder and harder to breathe and he could now barely walk 20 meters. His lungs were operating at a third their proper capacity.Doctors were stumped. He didn’t smoke. His home wasn’t hiding any mold. He didn’t have connective tissue disease, which can cause breathing problems. And he did not fancy pigeons."

Even though he was given many tests, doctors were unable to determine what was ailing him, and they didn't find out what the problem was until 2 years after he died. Now here is the reason. It seems that the man loved playing the bagpipes everyday. Actually, this illness is called “Bagpipe lung.”

"According to the paper, when doctors initially tried diagnosing the man’s illness, they overlooked his daily hobby: playing the bagpipes.Tests conducted on the man’s bagpipes found a slew of fungi and yeast living inside the musical instrument."

"There was pink yeast on the instrument’s mouthpiece as well as fungi on the neck, chanter, chanter reed, chanter reed protector, bass drome and tenor drome, researchers found. Even the bagpipe carrying case had mold inside. The moist, airtight bagpipes made an ideal home for the spores."

"According to the Guardian, however, it wasn’t the first time that bagpipes have been identified as a health hazard. In 2013, professional piper John Shone fell seriously ill with similar symptoms of breathlessness and weakness. Doctors discovered the fungus lurking inside his instrument just in time."

I have heard of many unusual ways people have died but this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone dying from playing the bagpipes. Has anyone ever of heard of this happening before, or have you heard of any other unusual ways people have died?

Peace.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/23/he-withered-away-for-7-years-doctors-didnt-realize-his-passion-was-killing-him/
Mack R
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:15:44 PM

Neurons: 82,212
Food for thought.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:44:01 PM

Neurons: 2,529,270
Water poisoning is a bit strange to me when I first heard it.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:00:02 PM

Neurons: 42,060
Regularly clean your shower filter, humidifier, and anywhere else mold collects. The black stuff is the worst.

Mold is a killer even if you are not allergic to it. I bet there were also bacteria and viruses in the instruments. Probably all wind instruments should be cleaned as often as possible and percussion ones wiped down as well. (Doorknobs and phones are worse than toilet seats for bacteria and viruses.)

Although my husband is of Scottish heritage, I'm glad I don't have to listen to bagpipes all the time. Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

Yeah, Gary. You can die of too much water at once!

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller