The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Native American Pipeline Protest Halts Construction in N. Dakota Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 12:08:06 PM

Neurons: 46,877
800,000 gals now, 4 times amount originally thought. And Nebraska just approved theirs.

BREAKING: Nebraska approves TransCanada Corp.'s Keystone XL pipeline

Nebraska Approves Keystone Pipeline

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
progpen
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 10:50:25 PM

Neurons: 288,451
Hope123 wrote:
800,000 gals now, 4 times amount originally thought. And Nebraska just approved theirs.

BREAKING: Nebraska approves TransCanada Corp.'s Keystone XL pipeline

Nebraska Approves Keystone Pipeline

If the XL would leak into the Ogallala Aquifer it would decimate the entire Midwest United States. This because the aquifer has been depleted by up to 60% of its level 60 years ago (mostly by highly inefficient and unnecessary corn farming) so any leaks into the aquifer will be much more concentrated and will do more damage. There are already large portions of the aquifer that are dry, so if there is an oil leak there it won't be noticed until the aquifer fills again, which could be decades or hundreds of years. This just means we could be leaving yet another very unwelcome surprise for our great great grandchildren.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:50:54 AM

Wow, Progpen. That is much worse! Don't they know the risk they are taking? Or just not care about the future?

I looked for the aquifer on the map - several states are involved. I see there were differing opinions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:45:10 AM

Neurons: 288,451
Hi Hope. Yep, the USGS shows that overall the capacity has decreased by 9% since mass crop irrigation began in the 1950s, but the aquifer is actually a group of deposits that are linked and some have been depleted much more than others, to the point that in parts of New Mexico they have been entirely depleted. I was wrong about how long it would take to replenish the aquifer. It will actually take 6,000 years.

The fragility of this water source has been known for decades, but there have been very large moneyed interests involved, including the farm lobby. It is interesting to note that the farm lobby has been largely quiet about the XL pipeline, especially after you see that many of the same people are involved in both the farm and oil lobbies.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:49:01 AM

I read today that they did decide on an alternate route but I think that still does not alleviate the problem completely, although I just skimed the article on the front page of the Toronto Star.