The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Spelling bee, Query. Options
nic fowler
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:08:04 PM

Neurons: 634,722
Hi. Can anyone help me workout, in "Spelling bee" how the points( NOT neurons, the points that are part of your rating) system works? It completely baffles me!
There are no rules, regarding ranking or the gain or loss of points, in the instructions for playing, and it seems so arbitrary-you can suddenly lose (or gain) up to 20 points, and 5 or 6
places in the ranking( It happened to me today, my game expired, and I lost. I had got my timing wrong, obviously, but again no
guidelines) I have looked at other players stats and see that someone who has played hundreds of games, and won over 95% of them( NOT me!)
can be overtaken by a relative newcomer, who has played less than 50 games( I don`t want to identify anyone, if possible) and won less
than 50% of them! I love playing with numbers, but no amount of juggling the stats., we have access to, reconciles the high position of
some and the slide to oblivion, of others who, at one time have been in the top 5! Any help from other players would be greatly
appreciated. nic
March Hare
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 5:26:14 AM

Neurons: 987,207
nic fowler wrote:
Hi. Can anyone help me workout, in "Spelling bee" how the points( NOT neurons, the points that are part of your rating) system works? It completely baffles me!
There are no rules, regarding ranking or the gain or loss of points, in the instructions for playing, and it seems so arbitrary-you can suddenly lose (or gain) up to 20 points, and 5 or 6
places in the ranking( It happened to me today, my game expired, and I lost. I had got my timing wrong, obviously, but again no
guidelines) I have looked at other players stats and see that someone who has played hundreds of games, and won over 95% of them( NOT me!)
can be overtaken by a relative newcomer, who has played less than 50 games( I don`t want to identify anyone, if possible) and won less
than 50% of them! I love playing with numbers, but no amount of juggling the stats., we have access to, reconciles the high position of
some and the slide to oblivion, of others who, at one time have been in the top 5! Any help from other players would be greatly
appreciated. nic

To my knowledge, you gain more points if you win against an opponent who's higher in the ranking, and you lose more if you lose to someone who's lower in the ranking. The greater the difference in rank, the more points are won or lost. That means that if a newcomer only challenges people at the top of the ranking, and wins those particular games, they can climb to the top of the ranking in a very short time.
Russella
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 4:14:32 PM

Neurons: 645,425
Thank you for your concise reply, March Hare. I have observed the same phenomena as Mr. Fowler, and been surprised and chagrined at times, but your response is accurate, as I have noticed that the point system is heavily influenced by rank.