The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

There are now more jobs in renewable energy than in oil, coal and gas combined. Options
progpen
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 6:12:54 PM

Neurons: 186,406
From Grist: "Worldwide, employment in green energy grew 5 percent in 2015, to 8.1 million jobs, while the slump in oil prices that began in the fall of 2015 eliminated an estimated 350,000 oil jobs across the planet."

From Bloomberg, "The number of U.S. jobs in solar energy overtook those in oil and natural gas extraction for the first time last year, helping drive a global surge in employment in the clean-energy business as fossil-fuel companies faltered."

It also appears that renewable energy employs more women than the fossil fuel industry.

This graphic shows renewable energy employment globally by region.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 10:29:57 PM

Neurons: 40,314
Thanks for the interesting and good news, Progpen. I guess Mark Carney's advice when he was visiting Canada to look for opportunities in that sector is on the mark and is already being done.

Alberta's economy has taken a hit with the drop in the demand for oil, as its economy has been pretty much driven by oil production lately. They lived 'pretty high off the hog' the last few years till the price of oil dropped. However, I just checked, and the forecast is for a recovery for the province of Alberta, Canada, in 2017. Their unemployment rate for June 2016 is 7.9 while all of Canada is 6.8. Trudeau has just set up a program to entice the intelligence of youth to further innovation. Canada is known for its raw products and unfortunately our dollar got tied to the oil price. That is why it has dropped and why we need to diversify. But our economy is in pretty good shape right now except for Alberta which is improving. And our governments are committed to the creation of green energy jobs.

I saw on the link you provided that the USA is included in this list. I saw on a chart that since Obama became president the unemployment rate has dropped from close to 10 to 4.9. I'm assuming from your map that green energy jobs have helped to get that rate down. I happened to see today that over 7 million US jobs (hope I remembered the correct figure) are connected to trade with Canada.

Canada didn't even make it on that map - as usual. Boo hoo!

(Digression - Yet I understand there is talk in the US by candidates for presidency about cancelling or renegotiating NAFTA?)

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:10:13 PM

Neurons: 186,406
Hope123, NAFTA has been controversial from the beginning. It has been dragged out as a possible wedge issue over the years, but for the most part it's been useless as such because both (R)s and (D)s like it and hate it. I've been on both sides over the years and have just become numb to all the poo being flung about.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:48:54 PM

Neurons: 40,314
progpen wrote:
Hope123, NAFTA has been controversial from the beginning. It has been dragged out as a possible wedge issue over the years, but for the most part it's been useless as such because both (R)s and (D)s like it and hate it. I've been on both sides over the years and have just become numb to all the poo being flung about.

Yeah, I know. US says they got screwed, Mexico says it didn't help them, Canadians told their leaders at the time they weren't assertive enough with the US. lol I guess everybody always want their interests to 'come out smelling like a rose'.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.