The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Thrilling trains Options
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:51:49 AM

Neurons: 343,228
A woman caused a serious train delay in Belgium yesterday. She decided to lie down between the train tracks and let a train drive over her. As soon as the train passed, she ran off. An emergency stop was performed as soon as the woman was spotted on the tracks, leading to delays for the train and any other trains using that line of the railroad.

Belgium's been suffering from thrill-seeking behaviour like that, but also from people walking on or near the tracks (who don't want to walk the extra distance to cross safely), causing (often fatal) accidents or delays.

The company responsible for the railroad infrastructure has made efforts warning people of the dangers. Ironically, while filming awareness-raising videos, they spotted people crossing the tracks. One of the men caught said he knew it was wrong, but claimed he only did it while no kids were around.

Anyone who causes delays with this kind of behaviour is fined the total cost of the train delays.

Is this kind of behaviour common in your country as well? I haven't heard much of it in foreign news, but those things tend not to be noteworthy enough for the international press.
TiMonster
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:45:42 AM

Neurons: 10,472
I'm from France and trains are often delayed due to someone that jumped in front of it. They are not trying to cross the railway, they are just suicidal.
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:53:28 AM

Neurons: 160,239
Send the thrill seekers to Istanbul.

Adrenaline rush everyday.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:04:34 AM

TiMonster wrote:
I'm from France and trains are often delayed due to someone that jumped in front of it. They are not trying to cross the railway, they are just suicidal.

Yes, we have a lot of those as well. It always struck me as a quick but messy way to go, especially considering how many people you are inconveniencing, not to mention traumatizing.
TiMonster
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:25:28 AM

The worst part is the guy cleaning it up..
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:31:08 AM

I used to think that, too, but I also think the train driver must go through a lot of stress. They see it happen and they can't do a thing about it because a train of that size and at that speed is impossible to stop.

The awareness videos I mentioned included testing how quickly a train at normal speed could stop, and along the way it would hit mannequins to illustrate the damage it was still capable of causing as it slowed down. The train driver said he knew they were mannequins but it still had an effect on him.
TiMonster
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:41:00 AM

I admit I didn't take the driver into account..

That must be pretty shocking for sure. I'm not sure I could drive a train again after such an incident