The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Differnce in these types of meetings - clinic, seminar and workshop Options
perfection161
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 2:39:03 AM

Neurons: 80
Can someone guide me to understand the (subtle) differences between these types of meetings/gatherings.
I am especially confused between clinic and workshop
Thanks
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 4:42:11 AM

Neurons: 164,315
I've never heard of a 'clinic' outside the field of medicine (except as a sort of advertising joke - a "car exhaust clinic" where you can just drive in and have your exhaust fixed.

To me 'workshop' and 'seminar' are very similar or identical in style. A 'workshop' may have more 'practical' drills and exercises than a seminar - but both have more practical "doing" than a lecture.

At the end of a lecture on picture-framing, you would not expect to take home a framed picture - but one might expect to frame a picture (after drilling the action) in a seminar or workshop.

A 'clinic' sounds like a remedial action. You go to a clinic to be 'made well'.

clinic - meeting for diagnosis of problems and instruction or remedial work in a particular activity
reading clinic - a clinic for people with reading disabilities

Wordnet 3.0

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:21:14 AM

Neurons: 42,927
"Clinic" is yet another example of biz-talk, using an already-used word in a different context. At the moment it's very fashionable.

Politicians seem to use the word most, to describe those evenings when they are available to meet one-on-one with people in their constituency and discuss their problems.

When I first came here and heard our Green MP was having a 'clinic', I thought that she must have been a doctor or a shrink (psychiatrist)! Until I heard that all the other pollies held 'clinics' too.

No-one can tell me WHY they are now called "clinics" - but they definitely differ from seminars or meetings. They indicate that people can wait their turn and then speak one-on-one to the person holding the clinic. So it's the same kind of system as is used in doctor's surgeries...but to call them "clinics" seems to me, personally, to be both pretentious and rather silly!

ETA - and yes, as Drago indicates: a workshop is interactive - and its purpose is to learn a new skill or a new aspect of something. A seminar is when a series of experts all give papers (talks) on the same subject and discussion centres around the talks given.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:24:22 AM

Neurons: 164,315

Thanks Romany - another new usage I didn't know.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:29:51 AM

Neurons: 68,455
I thought they were called 'surgeries' .
Like the GP.

Quote:
Surgery Times
Home / Surgery Times
As the MP for Lewisham East I hold 2 advice surgeries every month. They will always be on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month (excluding August and bank holidays).

2nd Friday, 4pm-7pm, Downham Health and Leisure Centre, Moorside Rd, BR1 5EP (map here)

4th Friday, 4pm-7pm, Civic Suite (next to Lewisham Town Hall), Catford, SE6 4RU (map here)

The surgeries will operate on a first come, first served basis. There will not be an appointments system. As long as you get there before 7pm, I will see you.

You can find out the easiest way to travel to my advice surgery by using Transport for London's journey planner:

Quote:
London MP Surgeries
The following is a list of MPs in Greater London, and their surgery and contact details, ordered by constituency.
If you don't know which constituency you're in, or you're not from London, go to http://www.theyworkforyou.com and put in your postcode to find out.
If we haven't listed surgery details for your MP, call the Parliamentary switchboard on 020 7219 3000 and ask for your MP's office to get details.
Axel Bear
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 6:57:24 AM

Neurons: 22,368

Every young kid in my street knows what a 'football (soccer) clinic' is. And indeed so do their parents. Many hoping that their offspring will be the next Lionel Messi. Same with basketball and other sports.

Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite: Joseph de Maistre
towan52
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:59:35 AM

Neurons: 166,904
Romany wrote:
"Clinic" is yet another example of biz-talk, using an already-used word in a different context. At the moment it's very fashionable.
(Clipped)

Don't you just love "biz-talk" (or "corporate crap-speak"). Moving forward, we can clearly leverage the idea of "clinics" as a revolutionary way of knowledge exchange. We should put this in the boat and row with it for a while to see where it takes us!Sick Sick Sick

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
NKM
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 11:29:39 AM

Neurons: 227,489
Or just run it up the flagpole and see who salutes …

towan52
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 4:06:16 PM

Neurons: 166,904
Or: "let's take the trousers down on this and spank it on the bottom!"

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"