The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Artisan economies are built on traditional skills as well as contemporary culture. Options
progpen
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 5:59:52 PM

Neurons: 209,491
Artisan = A person skilled in making a product by hand.

Mother Nature Network has a piece on 11 possible careers that are definitely not considered mainstream. Some I can see catching on, but others are (hopefully) just fads.

The artisan economy "is a delightful trend" that takes much from what could be thought of as a "simpler time when woodworkers, silversmiths and other artisans made a good living crafting one-of-a-kind items by hand, people shopped locally and food came from the farmer next door or your own garden. It was a time before big-box stores, mass-produced cookie-cutter goods and labyrinthine global supply chains."

Some that I think are viable careers for local sustainable economies are:
Bicycle maker
Food waste entrepreneur
Urban farmer

Artisinal ice maker...not so much.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
Axel Bear
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 1:19:19 AM

Neurons: 22,368

And would an Artisanal ice maker do better?

Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite: Joseph de Maistre
ellana
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 4:20:21 PM

Neurons: 126,489
Topic of interest to me... In one of my many 'careers', I have been an artisan. To get away from a very boring medical job, many years ago, I teamed up with a friend to start a cottage industry business based on making/sewing wearable art. It grew to be profitable and we found great pleasure in being 'entrepreneurs'. We progressed to having a shop in a tourist area where we lived and attracted interesting hand made goods such as hand made shoes/sandals, handbags, etc from other local artisans. We had fun being creative, being independent and making a second family income. Sometimes it's good to think outside the box.
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 5:30:48 PM

ellana wrote:
Topic of interest to me... In one of my many 'careers', I have been an artisan. To get away from a very boring medical job, many years ago, I teamed up with a friend to start a cottage industry business based on making/sewing wearable art. It grew to be profitable and we found great pleasure in being 'entrepreneurs'. We progressed to having a shop in a tourist area where we lived and attracted interesting hand made goods such as hand made shoes/sandals, handbags, etc from other local artisans. We had fun being creative, being independent and making a second family income. Sometimes it's good to think outside the box.

I've been a hobby woodworker for quite a few years, but have never tried to make a go of it. My wife is an artist and we have been talking about going in together to make and sell toys. Small local entrepreneurs are exactly the kind of thing that help make local sustainable economies.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 5:57:24 PM

Axel Bear wrote:
And would an Artisanal ice maker do better?

Not sure if it would be any better than an Artisinal Ice Maker.

ellana
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:31:39 AM

progpen... at the same time that I had my wee business, a local friend/woodworker was salvaging old pieces of timber and transforming them into creative but totally functional pieces of furniture. He would even perch carved wooden birds on the backs of chairs. Each piece was a work of art, a topic of conversation.

Good luck with your artisan adventure. By the way, my Longman Dictionary calls an artisan... a member of a lower class of society.
A serious revision required here!!
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:46:11 AM

Well, I'm definitely a proud member of that lower class Angel

ellana
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:00:18 AM

Ditto !! Dancing