The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Oxford comma makes Texas the most progressive state in the Union. Options
progpen
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 10:21:29 AM

Neurons: 180,717
From the Texas Monthly Magazine:
Wobbly Platform — When the Texas Republican Party got together to write up its platform during the GOP convention in Dallas last weekend, there apparently wasn’t a grammarian in the house, and it led to one of the more amusing comma mistakes you’ll ever see. As expected, the platform was basically a conservative cake baked from scratch with only the most organic far-right ingredients: a spoonful of small-government, a few sprinkles of anti-abortion, a pinch of xenophobia, a cup of climate change denial and, of course, a whole lot of gay-bashing. But the party made a huge mistake. As the New Civil Rights Movement pointed out, there’s a sentence in the platform that unintentionally (we think?) asserts that most Texans are, in fact, gay. From the platform: “Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that has been ordained by God in the Bible, recognized by our nation’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans.” Whoops! You’ve got to watch out for those pesky commas, always trying to push their “gay agenda” on all the other punctuation marks.

NPR's copy chief, Susan Vavrick, got out her editing pencil and made it all better.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/19/478720206/how-the-wrong-verb-meant-the-texas-gop-called-most-texans-gay?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160519

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 10:27:13 AM

Neurons: 370,949
Surely there's something wrong with the verb there as well:

Quote:
Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that has been ordained by God in the Bible

Not the truths, then, that have been ordained by God, but homosexuality as a chosen behavior.
progpen
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 10:30:36 AM

Yup, that's what the NPR editor found is that pesky verb.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
towan52
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 11:02:27 AM

Neurons: 154,806
Most punctuation in Texas is provided by filling a shotgun cartridge with periods, commas, semi-colonics etc. The paper with the raw text is then affixed to a road sign and peppered with the modified cartridge fired from a shotgun at a range of 25 yards. Whistle

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
NKM
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 12:02:16 PM

Neurons: 169,166
Nice sentence. Too many words, not enough proofreading.

towan52
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 12:28:34 PM

Neurons: 154,806
NKM wrote:
Nice sentence. Too many words, not enough proofreading.

Cant bring a gun on campus until august 1st

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
Listening . . .
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 12:30:41 PM

Neurons: 3,800
Progpen, this is hilarious!! Thanks for sharing!! Applause Applause Applause

I'm one of those weird Americans who supports ideas on both sides. It might surprise many on this forum that I support gay rights while also having a strong distaste for Obama. Love it when the fearful-of-what-they-don't-understand-or-don't-feel-comfortable-with people step on their own toes.
progpen
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 1:22:25 PM

Thank you Listening, greatly appreciated. There are certainly great ideas across the spectrum, and I think this forum is a great medium for those discussions.

MelissaMe
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 2:18:25 PM

Neurons: 342,748
Q. Are you gay?

A. Aw, hell, I'm not even cheerful!

Whistle

This is my only now.
mactoria
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 10:04:37 PM

Neurons: 885,405
Progpen: Additionally, I find it ironic that the authors of this wonderful platform plank wrote "Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that has been ordained..." While it's not uncommon to lose track of the proper verb tense in spoken speech or informal writing, one would hope that something major like a party platform would be checked by authors for proper grammar and punctuation...like a plural verb that agrees with the plural subject in the clause instead of the singular noun at the beginning of the sentence.

This is particularly ironic to me given that Texas is one of several states that makes a big deal (including in the GOP platform most years) about English-only for education, public documents, workplace conversation, etc. Texas is one of the lowest per-student funders of education, and it shows. But then basic proper grammar seems to be passe' all around the US these days. For example, it seems that 8 of 10 people-in-the-street on TV say "I seen" instead of "I saw." Grates like chalk on a chalkboard. So much for celebrating English as the "national language."
Ravindra
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:00:16 AM

Neurons: 40,443
There you are MelissaMe! You have made me cheerful. Thank you.

If you compulsively pun you are called a paronomasiac.
Tim Vine

Ravindra
Ravindra
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:02:05 AM

Neurons: 40,443
There you are MelissaMe! You have made me cheerful. Thank you.

If you compulsively pun you are called a paronomasiac.
Tim Vine

Ravindra
NKM
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 7:45:34 PM

Neurons: 169,166
If you compulsively pun you're likely to be called worse than that!