The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

cold sore Options
F.D.S.O.
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:44:26 PM

Neurons: 188
I suffered from cold sores when I was younger I guess I grew out of them. Well I noticed today my son has one he is 2. I have not had one in years so I really don’t know what’s out there I do remember trying everything when I was in my teens nothing really seemed to work. If anyone has a secret weapon or something I would really like to know. Thanks.

"It's not about how much you make, it's about how much you spend." -papaw-
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:43:39 PM

Neurons: 39,643
F.D.S.O. wrote:
I suffered from cold sores when I was younger I guess I grew out of them. Well I noticed today my son has one he is 2. I have not had one in years so I really don’t know what’s out there I do remember trying everything when I was in my teens nothing really seemed to work. If anyone has a secret weapon or something I would really like to know. Thanks.

OK. Caveat: you (your son) should see a doctor, because there are some different things (like allergies, yeast or bacterial infections) which can cause sores around the mouth. Caution: canker sores inside the mouth are not the same as cold sores, though cold sores can occur both inside and outside the mouth (and more; see the following).

Here's the background
Cold sores are a Herpes viral infection. Often, the virus moves along the nerves (literally) and remains dormant at the nerve roots back at the spine. When stressed: emotional stress, cold, heat, illness, alcohol, spicy foods may or may not be stressors (yes, that spelling: a noun) or triggers for any given person.

Theoretically, one is never cured of the infection, though I, too had the same experience you did: I've not had an outbreak since high school.

People who carry Herpes and have outbreaks will shed virus before they are symptomatic and, as we cannot say for sure it is gone, it may be true that people who are not experiencing clinical outbreaks could still be shedding virus from time-to-time.

Here's the worry
Each cold sore is self-limiting: the virus population along that nerve will re-activate along that same nerve and the cold sore will happen in the same place each time. (That's good)

However: One can move the virus and start an infection in a new location by touching the sore (even before it erupts) and then touching broken skin or the eye, or the inside of the nose or mouth. It is possible to get Herpes sores anywhere, and a small child is at increased risk of doing this, because he is not really going to understand the don't touch, don't rub your eye, don't pick your nose, don't suck your finger, etc.

The good news
Unlike when I was a child, there are actual anti-viral treatments for this. Talk to your doctor: most are prescription. Don't try over-the-counter treatments (and there is one specific, the rest are just comfort treatments) on a small child without the doctor's advice.

All of the treatments have potential side-effects, so you will want to weigh how they are used.

Some people, who suffer widespread, severe, frequent outbreaks take the anti-virals prophylactically (on a schedule; not waiting for an outbreak). I would be hesitant to put a small child on this regimen, because the more a medicine is taken the greater the risk of side-effects. Children, because of their immaturity (in the biological sense) and rapid growth, are at greater risk of side-effects than a healthy adult.

The other way to use the medications is at the beginning of an outbreak. The prescription is filled and kept at home, but is only taken when an outbreak starts. The earlier it is started during an outbreak, the faster it can clear the outbreak. For an adult or older child, one can begin taking the medication as soon as the tingling is felt. With a two-year old, you would likely need to watch for redness or skin break. This method means a shorter exposure to the medication and a reduced (though not eliminated) risk of side-effects. The trade-off is a greater exposure to viral shedding and consequent possibility of moving the virus to a new infection site.

And, this is also why the doctor is needed
One really does not want to develop widespread disease, and one really really really does not want this in an eye, but this is a balancing act, side-effects / medication exposure vs. risk of forming new infection sites and the very serious risks in the case of ocular infection. Your (child's) doctor can help you reason through this dilemma.

Good luck, and remember, there are an awful lot of us out there who have survived this one. It won't be fun dealing with it, but I would expect things to work-out fine.
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:16:19 PM

Neurons: 39,933
As soon as anyone mentions Herpes, it sends a reg flag to the brain.

Rather like when some one mentions Head Lice, you scalp starts to itch.

Chicken Pocks and Shingles are also supposed to be in the Herpes Family, is that correct Ruth?

kitten
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:48:56 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Herpes zoster is another kind of herpes, and it causes chickenpox and shingles.

>^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
wercozy
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:50:20 AM

Neurons: 3,480
Your son will probably out grow the herpes just as you did. But unlike your youth, today there is over the counter topical medicine that actually cuts the pain and sore to just 3 days. It's called abreva, and it's quite expensive. But when you figure complications and infection risk from a herpes cold sore, $15.00 for a tube or pump of beetle juice is worth the price.

Researchers in South America discovered there was one type of beetle that never got a virus infection like all the other beetle types. It took 20 years, but it finally made its way to market with the blessings of the FDA.

You cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. Jonathan Swift

srkdr68
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:13:07 AM

Neurons: 312
cold sore is caused by h simplex virus-so it's called herpes simplex,which is a very common
ailment,nothing to worry about and it's self limiting normally.

the other diseases caused by herpes group of virusses,which are more virulent and develop complications are 1)h zoster aka shingles, 2)chicken pox aka varicella.

kamrad
HWNN1961
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:01:02 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Cold sore. That pretty much describes me after shoveling snow...just put a comma between cold and sore.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
wercozy
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:22:25 PM

Neurons: 3,480
I think that should be cold & sore. Ha ha, very funny -- no, really! Creative too...

You cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. Jonathan Swift

Vickster
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:55:34 PM

Neurons: 7,211
I found this site very interesting.... especially how cold sores are transmitted to the child!!!

http://www.quantumhealth.com/news/kids_cold_sores.html

Are Kid's Cold Sores Contagious?
HSV1 and cold sores are contagious. You may be surprised to find that you have transmitted HSV1 to your child, especially if you do not suffer from cold sores. Cold sores can be spread in many different ways and from many different everyday activities which is why it is so prevalent in adults and children.

Saliva: HSV1 and cold sores can be transmitted from one person to another via their saliva. Although kissing is the first thing that comes to mind, there are many other ways in which HSV1 can be transmitted via saliva. Kids sharing a drinking glass, food or utensils can easily spread HSV1. Because the virus can live on cloth for a short time, sharing hand or face towels is another way HSV1 can be transmitted from one person to another. Have you ever licked your finger and wiped dirt of your child's face or wiped your lips and then touched your child's utensil, glass or bottle? As parents, we all have done this, and inadvertently could easily spread HSV1 to our children, even if we do not get cold sores ourselves. Refraining from this direct or indirect contact is almost impossible and explains why 20% of children and 80% of adults get cold sores.

Direct Contact: When a child has a cold sore, they often touch it and irritate it. Cold sores can be spread when a child with a cold sore touches his or her face and then touches another person's face or a cloth, utensil, drinking glass or any other object that comes into contact with another person. Again, with children, this is very difficult to avoid, especially when they play together. Kissing your child when they have a cold sore is an easy way to transmit the virus.

btw... I agree Abreva is the best!! expensive... but works great!!

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes
F.D.S.O.
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:19:19 PM

Neurons: 188
Thanks for the help everyone. I think he got to much sun this weekend i remember getting them when i got sun burned or had fever. I got him some abreva so will see how it works it really should as much as it cost.

"It's not about how much you make, it's about how much you spend." -papaw-