The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

the bassist from The Lemonheads Options
Ryu
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:45:35 AM

Neurons: 73,487
Hi folks,
Hank Green says in “The Origins of Cute”, one of the SciShow episodes, “…but the point is that they've gotta be waited on hand and foot until they're big enough to learn all this stuff, gain emotional intelligence, hit puberty, and then run away from home with the bassist from The Lemonheads.”

I don’t know anything about a music band The Lemonheads, but is Hank referring to something really happened as an example of kids falling in love with a stupid guy or girl and running away from home?

Thanks in advance.

Ryu
thar
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:55:30 AM

Neurons: 85,647
It is a joke. A hypothetical bassist.

You look after your children, you teach them to make good choices, to be mature, intelligent adults...

....and then they run off with a guy who plays in a rock band. Whistle

You can't fix teenagers. However good a parent you were, they will obey their hormones and do something you think is disastrous. This is what they do.

I think he just chose the Lemonheads because they are famous enough for people to have heard of them, and they have a comical-sounding name.

It is another use for the present tense.
You use it for general truths - eg teenagers like rock stars.
You also use it to describe hypothetical scenarios that are examples of 'general truths' - eg you just get in the bath and the doorbell rings.
You bring up your child to be a good, mature girl - then they turn into a teenager and run off with a bass player.
TL2OTA
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:00:42 AM

Neurons: 33,707
yay
Ryu
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:10:37 AM

Thank you, thar.

So it's just a hypothetical example. I have to translate it into Japanese but this kind of jokes always gives me a headache, because if I translate it literally people don't understand. I have to come up with something close to the joke and also understandable to the Japanese people.

Ryu
mactoria
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:16:29 AM

Neurons: 1,568,691
Ryu: Thar's explanation/interpretation is correct. It's an example to make a point, part of it made up. However, The Lemonheads was a real alternative metal band started in the 80s, and the original bassist was a guy named Jesse Peretz. Since your quote is an example from which to learn a point from, the "child" did not really run away from home with Jesse Peretz.....
Ryu
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:39:28 AM

Thanks, mactoria, for the additional info.

Ryu
sarah71
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 10:33:01 AM

Neurons: 78,217
Hi guys,
just one thing:

The Lemonheads were an alternative rock band, not a metal band.