Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The ten most beautiful ceilings in the world Options
rogermue
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 6:43:03 AM

Neurons: 34,900
Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 9:40:59 AM

Neurons: 50,270
Beautiful, Rogermue. Thanks. I like the City of London one the best. Also thanks for the website - I have put it on my reading list.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
MelissaMe
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:36:38 PM

Neurons: 347,528

Ely Cathedral ceiling is awesome!

I had to do a Google search - I wasn't sure what I was looking at!

This is my only now.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:29:55 PM

Neurons: 48,763

I always imagine the reaction of the rural poor to Church/Cathedral interiors when they were built.

No tv, movies, books, photographs, paintings - nothing to prepare them.

And then they walked into one of these spaces....they must have been totally overcome.

thar
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:52:46 PM

Neurons: 81,130
I agree. Despite being non-religious, I appreciate something soul-stirring, especially inside a gothic cathedral.
I am Protestant by instinct, direct to God - but I feel the sects into plain buildings really lost something when they removed that aspect.

Of course, now we see those old cathedrals in bare stone, instead of the garish colours they originally had. A rather bizarre thought, as we are so used to the more restrained aged look.

They make the worst of modern bling look understated!

But, just because I feel perverse. Whistle
Spend a couple of hours looking at the Milky Way and you will never want to have a ceiling again!

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:20:37 PM

Neurons: 50,270
Genius comparison, Thar!

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
eraigames
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:52:34 PM

Neurons: 1,668
Thar-

What if someone built a house with a ceiling made completely of perfectly clear glass? You could have your view of the stars (assuming the night was clear and you lived in the boonies) AND still have a ceiling!

Would it be a beautiful ceiling or just a beautiful view? Would it awe a person as much as Romany suggested that certain cathedral ceilings might?

In an odd way, I think the view would be rather similar since all the Aramaic religions (including Christianity up to a point) were based around celestial observations. Jesus/god is the sun and many of the other figures are personifications or stand-ins for various other celestial bodies/phenomena so looking up at those ceilings would essentially be like looking up at a personified sky.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:09:47 PM

Neurons: 81,130
I think the fact of it being a glass ceiling would make it a view. That enclosure links you to the earth. The thing about looking up at the sky is that you get lost in it. The world disappears and it is just you in space. you are no longer on a planet, just in the galaxy. Quite a freaky feeling.
Or maybe that is just me!

But it only works if it isn't raining. That is an existential experience of another kind, and relies on knowing you have a warm home to get back to!

I get the same thing, though much more rarely, caving. When you are belly-crawling through a narrow twisting tunnel and turn your lamp off, and you can't see or hear the other people - and you feel the rock all around you, the whole world above disappears and you are just part of the Earth. Or again, maybe that is just me.

and you get some pretty cool ceilings there as well! Whistle
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:32:02 AM

Neurons: 6,180

Romany
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 8:53:01 AM

Neurons: 48,763

I have a sky-light in my flat, and I spend hours gazing up through it - but it doesn't give me the same sensation of being part of the firmament the way lying on my back and gazing up from outside does.

And yes, once or twice I experienced your speleological feeling. However, slithering through passages behind someone who has eaten baked beans for breakfast often puts a stop to higher feelings.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:48:12 AM

Neurons: 506,178
In Kakslauttanen "Igloo" hotel in Lapland you can have a room with this kind of view.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 9:49:44 PM

Neurons: 30,144

I've got to get out more often.

The Ely Cathedral is stunning and the Stockholm shot appears as an escalator out of Hell.

The Igloo Inn looks like an evening of enchanted elven magic.

And now, John Serrie's Lumia Nights, some mood lighting, and I bid you all farewell until the morning songbirds proclaim the day anew.

"Now" is the eternal present.