The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is easy enough to say that poverty is no crime. No; if it were men wouldn't be ashamed of it. It is a blunder, though, and... Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 74,727
It is easy enough to say that poverty is no crime. No; if it were men wouldn't be ashamed of it. It is a blunder, though, and is punished as such. A poor man is despised the whole world over.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
MarySM
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:13:21 AM

Neurons: 6,084
Easy for him to say! Let's see. In the ninties I had a lot of money it stock which was great at the time. Then the dot.com bubble burst. So I put money into real estate. Now we call all see where that is right now. Oops, my blunder.

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
Christine
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:32:15 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Seems like those words are mean. He doesn't speak for me.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:44:49 AM

Neurons: 6,180
What a tit. Impecuniousness is fab in Paris.

MTC
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:12:13 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Jerome (a humorist and satirist) was probably lampooning Social Darwinism and mankind's tendency to judge from appearances alone in the ironic quotation which should not be taken at face value. The quote can be read in context here:
http://jerome.thefreelibrary.com/Idle-Thoughts-of-an-Idle-Fellow/4-1.

In the longer passage Jerome evidences quite a bit of compassion for the poor:
"There have been a good many funny things said and written about hardupishness, but the reality is not funny, for all that. It is not funny to have to haggle over pennies. It isn't funny to be thought mean and stingy. It isn't funny to be shabby and to be ashamed of your address. No, there is nothing at all funny in poverty--to the poor. It is hell upon earth to a sensitive man; and many a brave gentleman who would have faced the labors of Hercules has had his heart broken by its petty miseries." Later on Jerome pointedly remarks: "Appearances are everything, so far as human opinion goes..."

Reactions to the quotation (taken out of context) prove that the tendency to judge from appearances is still very much a part of human nature (self included.)
GabhSigenod
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:41:19 PM

Neurons: 149,736
Perhaps he should have remained a clerk and spared himself the critics.

Mise, tá mé lán de dea-fhortún.
kitten
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:28:02 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Firstly, I find it interesting that when I click onto the site to find out more information it takes me to a site that TFD has a disclaimer on because it was from the Soviet Union.Think Eh? So off to the next section.

I think he can safely say that because he lived in poverty for the first part of his life. He must have known exactly how it felt to be a poor man. He also worked the railway picking up coal and this wasn't exactly a high paying job either. So I do think he knows from where he speaks.

Whilst reading about the rest of his life after he became an actor and writer and such I found he knew or rubbed elbows with a great many creative people and that was very interesting and exciting to me.

He didn't die in poverty but when one has started in poverty and learned to be ashamed of it, (and they shouldn't be) it is hard to stop oneself from scraping the last morsel out of his bowl.

He had connections with the Vaudeville Theatre.

One of the person he rubbed elbows with was Seymour Hicks

By reading the above I somehow found a lovely article about the wonderful artist----Louis Wain.

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton