The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Why do I see supremacy groups in the US? Options
Elizabeth Sanchezo
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 2:45:46 AM

Neurons: 155
Hi everyone, to me is offensive that the United States allows supremacy groups to be formed. The bill says "in God we trust", and when a president takes place he has to swear with a hand on the Bible. Then, it does not makes sense to me to permit this kind of hate groups. And by the way, racism should not exist no more, does not reminds us of the hell that the Jewish people had gone through in Germany???... Was not that so terrible enough for us??....
thar
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 3:36:59 AM

Neurons: 60,947
It comes with the territory of free speech.

Sometimes you don't like what people say.

America identifies itself as not being one of those countries where governments tells people what to think, and sends them to gulags for thinking something different from you.

Quote:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 6:56:46 AM

Neurons: 20,183
Elizabeth Sanchezo wrote:
racism should not exist no more

Ms. Sanchezo:

Racism no longer exists in the United States.

That is to say, the (current) majority group no longer discriminates against non-majority groups.

Since the 1960s, the majority group has gone out of its way to help non-majority groups.

There is something called affirmative action. Companies, etc. are expected to hire people from all groups.

Laws also make sure that all groups can patronize any business.

And you have probably heard that starting next year, many non-majority actors WILL receive an Oscar.

People can buy or rent in any neighborhood.

Please be careful when you read the media.

Most of the unpleasant incidents between the police and certain individuals occurred because those individuals were defiant and violent.

If you come to the United States, you will see that there is no racism.

There is, however, FEAR regarding the very bad behavior of a large percentage of certain groups.

People who work hard and behave themselves now have more opportunities here than in any other country.

tunaafi
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 1:30:47 PM

Neurons: 52,132
TheParser wrote:
Racism no longer exists in the United States.

Quite a few reports suggest otherwise:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/24/us/racism-problem-cnn-kff-poll/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nadege-seppou/open-letter-to-african-immigrants_b_8925614.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_United_States

Quote:
There is, however, FEAR regarding the very bad behavior of a large percentage of certain groups.

Hmmm. There is no racism in the United States, but it is natural to be afraid of 'certain groups' because of the bad behavior of a large percentage of them. The 'certain groups wouldn't be blacks and hispanics, would they James?

You wouldn't be trying to avoid charges of racism by using innuendo instead of being forthright, would you, James/
progpen
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 6:24:11 PM

Neurons: 163,332
thar wrote:

America identifies itself as not being one of those countries where governments tells people what to think, and sends them to gulags for thinking something different from you.

Quote:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

This is the quote I remember using while in the military during the first Gulf War. I believed it and was proud to serve in a military where I felt this to be true. Once I got back home I began to realize that it is not an ideal that a majority of Americans believe in. Those who do believe in it are the minority, but they are right, and they are the real Americans.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
thar
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 7:20:08 PM

Neurons: 60,947
It is a very hard ideal to live up to!
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 5:14:31 AM

Neurons: 20,183
thar wrote:
It is a very hard ideal to live up to!

Here in 2016 America, many university students simply do not even try to live up to that ideal.

They will not allow so-called conservative (right of center) speakers to voice their opinions.

They will either make so much noise that the audience cannot hear the speaker,

or they will try to intimidate anyone who wants to enter the auditorium to hear the speaker.

University administrators either sympathize with those so-called liberal (left of center) protesters, or they are afraid of losing their job if they do not.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 8:07:42 AM

Neurons: 52,132
TheParser wrote:

Here in 2016 America, many university students simply do not even try to live up to that ideal.

How many is 'many', James?
progpen
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 8:45:27 AM

Neurons: 163,332
Here in 2016 America, nearly all university students try to live up to that ideal.

They will allow conservative speakers to voice their opinions, as long as that speech is not trying to incite violence or trying to spread hatred of one group on another.

If the speaker tries to incite violence or spread hatred of a group of people, then those students will use peaceful means to negate the harm that the speaker is trying to do.

If the speaker is so self absorbed as to be unable to see other points of view, they will undoubtedly see this behavior as being intimidation. Then this self centered, self righteous speaker will whine, whinge and complain that they are being persecuted.

University administrators, who tend to be politically moderate and conservative, do not usually to want to incite violence on their campus. To avoid this, they will remove those instigators and not invite them back.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Elizabeth Sanchezo
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 8:39:33 PM

thar wrote:

Quote:

FREE SPEECH is fine, but RACISM is not.

How can the law in the US protect a wrong idea????
Intellectually esurient
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 10:26:12 PM

Neurons: 1,743
Unfortunately there exist racism in the form of hate groups that resides in our beautiful country. Although those people are only exercising their first amendment, which allows them to petition freely and assemble where they may. There is pros and cons to this controversy. The obvious con being that these individuals offend a large majority of the population with their radical views. The hidden pro is that we are able to identify the individuals of the hate groups and shun them from the majority population, therefore making them the group that is targeted by the largest hate group.... society.

"The fortunes' of life are found in books!"
Elizabeth Sanchezo
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 12:47:39 PM

Intellectually esurient,

I believe that law in the US supports the formation of racist people, which is wrong, because racism is wrong. Did not we had enough with the holocaust???? Really! Why US law is tolerant with racist people??
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:19:18 AM

Neurons: 38,898
Elizabeth you do not display where you live, that would be helpful.
MelissaMe
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:48:07 AM

Neurons: 340,055
Elizabeth Sanchezo wrote:
thar wrote:

Quote:

FREE SPEECH is fine, but RACISM is not.

How can the law in the US protect a wrong idea????

Because, sadly enough, there are enough very rich people with wrong ideas that they can buy laws that protect them and their wrong ideas. Shame on you And there is enough power behind that money to keep those wrong laws on the books!

This is my only now.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:02:39 PM

Neurons: 37,080

The reason so-called "Developed" countries usually adopt democratic systems of Government is because the population, through a good education system, is supposed also to have developed: - tolerance, empathy, fairness. In order to develop these tropes, the population is expected to have been instructed and encouraged to employ critical thinking to all ideas with which they have been or will be presented.

Thus, they learn all these tropes from Kindergarten on, along with the knowledge upon which Democracy rests: that every Right which free people exercise, demands a sense of responsibility.

Unfortunately, there is a crisis in Education in America which has been on-going for many years. (Not just America, of course, English Education is constantly being "updated" in an attempt to fix it). This means that a whole generation has grown up not knowing what the responsibilities are that they must assume to live in a truly free society.

Of course all developed nations should have the freedom of speech we all fought so hard for. But OF COURSE they must assume responsibility and not use that gift to incite the hatred, violence, outrage, and division which Drumph is sowing all over the country.

No-one is EVER going to please all of the people all of the time: because we also value individualism and even eccentricity, in free societies. But fighting and killing and abusing and berating anyone with whom one doesn't agree is barbaric behaviour which should have been left behind as we developed.

America in 2016 is, in some states, still sitting on a powder-keg of domestic racial divisiveness. Giving someone not only permission, but the match to light the powder-keg, has nothing to do with freedom. It is irresponsible and selfish - and once the keg explodes, there's no way of stopping all the damage that could plunge a nation into anarchy.

Which, in turn, calls for military intervention, curfews, restriction of freedom...and kills Democracy stone dead in its tracks.

What price "Freedom of speech" then?