The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gustave Flaubert (1821) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
Gustave Flaubert (1821)

Flaubert was a French writer considered one of the supreme masters of the realistic novel. At 22, he abandoned law studies to pursue a career as an author. In 1856, after five years of work, he published his masterpiece, Madame Bovary, about the frustrations and love affairs of a romantic young woman married to a dull provincial doctor. A sharply realistic portrayal of bourgeois boredom and adultery, the novel led to his prosecution on moral grounds. What was the verdict? More...
KenO
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 6:51:06 AM

Neurons: 569,076
Acquitted.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 7:23:18 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
I admire Flaubert's perfectionism & constant search for "le mot juste" ("the right word"), but my appreciation of poetry makes me admire assonance.

There aren't many writers nowadays who would admit to having intercourse with a 14 year old boy, yet he was prosecuted because his novel, "Madame Bovary" contained bourgeois adultery between consenting adults. What? What on earth is "le mot juste" here?

Assonance? Think

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Prasun Das 3
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:54:18 AM

Neurons: 7,429
He was acquitted of the charges only because he remained true to his art.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 3:45:15 PM

Neurons: 5,607,426

Flaubert gave birth to Nabokov on one side and to Hemingway on the other. In short, Flaubert made the novel a painterly activity, and perhaps in so doing he threatened the novel with the danger of irrelevance. He aspired to write "a book about nothing, a book with no external attachment…. The most beautiful books are those with the least matter," he wrote in 1852; and in the same letter he wrote that "from the point of view of Art, there is no such thing as a subject, style being solely in itself an absolute way of seeing things."

JAMES WOOD
December 12, 2014
Robert Imgrat
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 4:18:13 PM

Neurons: 106,087
NeuroticHellFem wrote:
I admire Flaubert's perfectionism & constant search for "le mot juste" ("the right word"), but my appreciation of poetry makes me admire assonance.

There aren't many writers nowadays who would admit to having intercourse with a 14 year old boy, yet he was prosecuted because his novel, "Madame Bovary" contained bourgeois adultery between consenting adults. What? What on earth is "le mot juste" here?

Assonance? Think

===============================================================================================================================
I understand, it is not so easy to comprehend, that as long as an act committed is not penalized, there is no crime. In this context, your question mark seems to be idle, if not ''meaningless''.