The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,181
Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea.

Henry Fielding (1707-1754)
karkuss
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 11:52:35 PM

Neurons: 402
Ahhhhh yes how sweet they are, but tact and intellect resonate so much better. Wisdom, knowledge,and last but not least skill, flavor even the most soured pallets.
Xeslaster
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 12:33:03 AM

Neurons: 848
Going to break this up into two parts...

Scandal: I would wholeheartedly disagree to this being a "sweetener". Scandals and drama are so thoroughly misleading to us. They prevent real inner work from getting accomplished, they give way to calumny and slander, cause us to ponder on useless topics. This is because (for the most part) they get us involved in other people's lives when there is much work to be done within ourselves. I recall a Ghandi quote "Be the change you want to see in the world"... and a scandal is most of the time caused be disagreements between people, because our egos would rather everyone else in the world adjust to us rather than the other way around.

So unless you are a drama queen, there is nothing sweet in scandals.

Love, however, or at least the deep truth in love, I would say is even far beyond just a "sweetener"...

But in respect to his quote, it sounds like he is in search of promiscuity more than anything else, and that kind of "love" combined with scandals can be far more injurious compared to, lets say, a political or other forms of scandals.

Phew...

[39:3] Absolutely, the religion shall be devoted to GOD alone. Those who set up idols beside Him say, "We idolize them only to bring us closer to GOD; for they are in a better position!" GOD will judge them regarding their disputes. GOD does not guide such liars, disbelievers.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 10:10:03 AM

Neurons: 32,652
I think HF's point is that gossiping over the cream jug is much more fun if there's something salacious to talk about.

Sanity is not statistical
Raia Dalila
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 12:22:06 PM

Neurons: 278
Xeslaster wrote:
Going to break this up into two parts...

Scandal: I would wholeheartedly disagree to this being a "sweetener". Scandals and drama are so thoroughly misleading to us. They prevent real inner work from getting accomplished, they give way to calumny and slander, cause us to ponder on useless topics. This is because (for the most part) they get us involved in other people's lives when there is much work to be done within ourselves. I recall a Ghandi quote "Be the change you want to see in the world"... and a scandal is most of the time caused be disagreements between people, because our egos would rather everyone else in the world adjust to us rather than the other way around.

So unless you are a drama queen, there is nothing sweet in scandals.

Love, however, or at least the deep truth in love, I would say is even far beyond just a "sweetener"...

But in respect to his quote, it sounds like he is in search of promiscuity more than anything else, and that kind of "love" combined with scandals can be far more injurious compared to, lets say, a political or other forms of scandals.

Phew...

Love is truth, and your last sentence above the Phew.. is Wisdom! Angel
ownquotes
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:32:38 PM

Neurons: 27
I'm not sure about scandals
ludic
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 12:08:10 AM

Neurons: 3,544
A very daily-soap maker like thing to say... Ekta Kapoor springs into my mind!

वसुधैव कुटुम्बकं - हितोपदेश The world is my family.- Hitopadesh