The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,825
Joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness.

Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)
JMV
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:49:49 AM

Neurons: 25,208
A life in service to others is a life invested well. Any hedonistic pursuit of your own personal pleasure as a goal in itself tends to yield profound disappointment.
As for the "definite object" outside yourself . . . God fits the bill. For that matter, true contentment is to be found nowhere else.
Peter O'Connor - Dundalk
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:11:48 AM

Neurons: 779,524
As a musician - I really can't agree with Leo on this one. I sometimes play for my own pleasure. Period.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:36:08 AM

Neurons: 244,175
Joy is really joy when you can share it with each other…
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:54:45 AM

Neurons: 3,460,301
Leo Tolstoy/Quotes

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

If you want to be happy, be.

Boredom: the desire for desires.

It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.

There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth.

In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.

We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.

The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity.

All violence consists in some people forcing others, under threat of suffering or death, to do what they do not want to do.
alho
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:22:28 AM

Neurons: 10,696
Peter John O'Connor wrote:
As a musician - I really can't agree with Leo on this one. I sometimes play for my own pleasure. Period.

I understand that Peter, many times I truly enjoyed playing piano without anyone hearing... And several of these moments were interrupted when I realized someone was listening or made a comment.

The same happened when I discovered things by myself, things that could not be properly transmitted through words or even pictures/drawings, but I know they will always be on my mind forever.

I guess what Tolstoy meant is that joy is even better achieved when you are able to share these amazing moments and allow others to feel in the same or in a similar way as you did.
Passion for phonics
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:30:49 PM

Neurons: 4,209
Looking at the broader context I think he’s addressing a specific sort of joy:
"Life is a place of service, and in that service one has to suffer a great deal that is hard to bear, but more often to experience a great deal of joy. But that joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness.”
With that in mind, I propose that he is not trying to clump “all” joy into his sentence, only the joy that springs from being of service to others.

Now I'll get back to playing my guitar...
pag asa
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:24:54 PM

Neurons: 142,008
It is always how one looks at life. The perspective standpoint of putting oneself as the center or as part of the whole.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:03:05 PM

Neurons: 5,457,595
The complete quoatation!!!

Life is a place of service and in that service one has to suffer a great deal that is hard to bear, but more often to experience a great deal of joy. But that joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness.

Lev Tolstoy

Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:20:25 PM

Neurons: 37,072
These are great words from a great man that should resound in the ears of the corrupt republicans and self-righteous hypercritical Christians and Muslim's, wouldn't you all agree????
Paul Anthony (vikingz2000)
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:28:35 PM

Neurons: 396
Fredric-frank Myers wrote:
These are great words from a great man that should resound in the ears of the corrupt republicans and self-righteous hypercritical Christians and Muslim's, wouldn't you all agree????

Republicans and hypocritical, so-called Christian do serve; they serve their false egos, and in many cases their insatiable greed without any regard for anyone else's, or anything's well-being. But to be absolutely fair, not just Republicans, but most of them, as for what I have experienced.
Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:37:34 PM

Neurons: 12,634
Anyone who lives for their self only is a despicable fool.