The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What are neutrinos? Options
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 5:31:31 AM

Neurons: 34,900
On another forum a poster asked what is the meaning of "We are at the threshold of neutrino
astronomy".

I explained at the threshold/the door/the entrance/ the beginning. The author meant we are
standing at the beginning of neutrino astronomy, using a literary device, a special kind
of metaphor.

Of course, later I asked myself what are neutrinos.

I found two websites which gave an idea.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino

I didn't read all of the article, most of it is above my head, but I understood neutrinos are
subatomic particles with fascinating features and scientists are really thrilled about them.

The second article is a bit easier to understand for nitwits of subatomic particles like me.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/what-is-a-neutrino-and-why-should-anyone-but-a-particle-physicist-care/
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:30:10 AM

Neurons: 201,989

That's good - they come in three flavours.

It's a shame that the servings are so small, though.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:48:03 AM

Neurons: 62,962
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

That's good - they come in three flavours.

It's a shame that the servings are so small, though.

And, rather like Chinese food, they go right through you.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Alvaro F. Plaza
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:35:28 AM

Neurons: 2,089,748
Neutrinos are subatomic particles produced by the dacay of radioactive elements without electrical charge and so tiny as "to be unimagined by a human being".
S. Ilker Orsel
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:23:56 AM

Neurons: 89,701
Neutrinos are good. The better we understand them, the better we understand the universe.
Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:27:46 AM

Neurons: 24,787
Such heresy! The bible doesn't mention this at all!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:09:30 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Absinthius wrote:
Such heresy! The bible doesn't mention this at all!

Shame on you! How could you fail to detect the hidden allusions to them?

Neutrinos are nothing but anagrams of

The famous Nine Tours (of St Paul),
The Orient Sun (which shone upon the Apostles and which keeps shining,
or the Senior Nut who complained when Jesus threw the Sinner Out,
to mention but a few.

The Neutron IS blessed. Pray

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:18:42 AM

Neurons: 34,900
Can anyone give me a rough idea how neutrinos can be used to get new knowledge
about the universe.I know how difficult it is to translate such specific things into
understandable language.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2015 3:53:37 AM

I'm afraid that my neutrino-knowledge is very similar to yours - slightly educated layman level.

Grandpa Frankie
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:33:44 AM

Neurons: 118
Neutrinos were discovered earlier than the neutrons. The lack of impulse conservation during the beta-decay of radioactive elements led to it.
They have a very small mass compared to electrons but not zero as György Marx influenced.
Their detection is cumbersome.
I knew a Swedish physicist Jan Nilsson who published an article when the detected amount of them was much smaller than he calculated: "Does the Sun Shine?".
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:31:58 PM

Grandpa Frankie wrote:
Neutrinos were discovered earlier than the neutrons. The lack of impulse conservation during the beta-decay of radioactive elements led to it.
They have a very small mass compared to electrons but not zero as György Marx influenced.
Their detection is cumbersome.
I knew a Swedish physicist Jan Nilsson who published an article when the detected amount of them was much smaller than he calculated: "Does the Sun Shine?".

Szia Grandpa!

Is that true? - that neutrinos were discovered before neutrons? Amazing. Neutrons are so much bigger.

Hello Rogermue!

I have a little more data than I had two months ago (I've read more Science-fiction in the meantime).

Basically it's all to do with quantum thingys. If one considers ordinary light to be 'photons', and β-radiation to be electrons in a stream, and α-rays to be Helium nuclei flowing, then it is not a big jump to consider that hard cosmic rays (the ones which pass unhindered through whole planets) are 'neutrinos' in a stream.

These are emitted by matter in times of stress - when stars are blowing up as a nova, or when mass is collapsing into a black hole.

The reason they are useful in astronomy seems to be that they are easier to focus at long distances than longer wavelengths (x-rays, light, radio are all 'long' waves comparatively) - 'long distances' being millions of light-years.
They have not been deflected or dispersed on the way (not a lot will block them) - the trouble in the past has been detecting them, as they also pass right through any normal detector.

TL Hobs
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:18:03 PM

Neurons: 5,586
The first I heard of neutrinos was in 1968 in a course on Subatomic Physics. Much has been learned since then, so my knowledge is dated.

We were taught that a neutrino is a quanta of energy with no rest mass, travels at the speed of light and has a 1/10th thickness of 25 light years of lead. That means that neutrinos hitting an unimaginable wall of lead would pass 90% of them.

My only other definition of a neutrino is a small dog I once met. I named him Neutrino, but his owners called him by another name. He would fly around a room at the speed of light, come running up the sofa, stick his tongue in someone's ear, and speed off down the stairs in a flash! He traveled at the speed of light and had no rest mass.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:12:21 PM

Neurons: 29,065
rogermue wrote:
Can anyone give me a rough idea how neutrinos can be used to get new knowledge
about the universe.I know how difficult it is to translate such specific things into
understandable language.

Enough with the jokes, the missed meaning is that observations with the fineness of detail to the dimension of a neutrino are within the grasp of astronomers.

It's not yet achieved, yet the potential is there. There is still much testing, verification, and calibration to be done.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."