The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Legendary Griffin Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,887
The Legendary Griffin

In ancient and medieval legend, the griffin is a creature with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion. Some traditions also give it a serpent's tail. The griffin is thought to have originated in ancient Middle Eastern legend and is often found in Persian sculpture. Although its significance is obscure, the griffin is thought to have been a protective symbol, representing strength and vigilance. When is a griffin called an "alce" or "keythong"? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 4:27:18 AM

Neurons: 696,826
During the 15th century.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:57:24 AM

Neurons: 5,894,433

Griffon In Magick

There are variations on the griffin theme. The most unique part of griffin mythology is its sexual dimorphism best displayed when comparing the Male giffin, alce or keythong with the traditional more feminine griffin. The alce is rare and it has no wings. However, the keythong is even more rare. It is a male griffin that has spikes instead of wings and two straight long horns. The opinicus is a griffin with a longer feathered neck and with the front legs of a lion, not a bird. Some griffins have dragonlike wings or otherwise resemble dragons.

Griffin Traits: guardianship, divinity, marriage, monogamy, wisdom, fortitude

Goddesses/Gods: Sefer and Sefert, Apollo and Nemesis,

Elements: fire, air, gold
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:15:42 PM

Neurons: 2,590,862

"Griff" Statue by Veres Kalman 2007, in the forecourt of the Farkashegyi Cemetery Budapest

Quote:
Adrienne Mayor, a classical folklorist, proposes that the griffin was an ancient misconception derived from the fossilized remains of the Protoceratops found in gold mines in the Altai mountains of Scythia, in present day southeastern Kazakhstan, or in Mongolia.[2][2] Adrienne Mayor, Archeology Magazine, November–December 1994, pp 53–59; Mayor, The First Fossil Hunters, 2000.

Interesting theory. I've always assumed dragon myths came about as a result of ancient peoples' discoveries of dinosaur bones. It makes sense.

That's one hell of a statue for a cemetery. I love it!
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:42:53 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Really like these guys. Wish they were real and I had at least 4 to play with....
Miriam...
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:30:11 PM

Neurons: 12,634
To Fredric-frank Myers: I like them too. I wish I had a couple to protect me from the evil world and guard my house.:)