Daemon
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,171
Live while ye may.

John Milton (1608-1674)
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:18:21 AM

Neurons: 9,763
With respect Mr. Milton...that's a no-brainer.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
Atiya
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:38:48 AM

Neurons: 6,093
No offense H, but I guess he was advicing people who worry about future and forget to enjoy the present.

It is good to rub and polish your mind against that of others.—Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
blighter47
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:28:32 AM

Some people don't think about the future enough.

Early morning April 4, shot rings out in the Memphis sky. Free at last, they took your life, they could not take your pride. ~ Bono and U2.
Xeslaster
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:40:59 AM

Neurons: 848
I would say, that beyond the conventional understanding, he means something to the extent of make the best of your life.

that seems like a simple restatement, so let me clarify a little:
Easiest way to explain that is to live as if you were to die tomorrow.

When I first read this quote, it reminded me of something I saw somewhere, which went like this "Your last mortal thought will be: Why did I spend so many days like this in vain and took it for granted?"

And we all, including me, think (for the most part) we are indeed living our lives well and to the fullest extent, but the question to ask is, are we really?

I think that is what the original quote is hinting at, or at least, that is the only way I can see it carrying any meaning that is significant.

[39:3] Absolutely, the religion shall be devoted to GOD alone. Those who set up idols beside Him say, "We idolize them only to bring us closer to GOD; for they are in a better position!" GOD will judge them regarding their disputes. GOD does not guide such liars, disbelievers.
karkuss
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:08:39 AM

Neurons: 402
To live or not to live that is the question, how do you define living? While you are still alive the good in all things should be apparent, if they are not and your vision starts to become cloudy and you cant ascend to your own happiness. Then in fact you are no longer living while ye may.
MarySM
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:07:50 AM

Neurons: 6,084
We have no cure for birth or death but we can certainly enjoy the interval that is life, and really LIVE.

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:21:10 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Don´t we all do that?
MarySM
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:34:10 PM

Neurons: 6,084
jcbarros wrote:
Don´t we all do that?

I do believe that some people just exist.

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:58:06 PM

Neurons: 4,678
I love everyone's comments and quotes today. But I cannot think of anything wise or
enlightening that *I* could possibly add. However, I would like to respond to HWNN’s
quote about the "Knights Oath".
I have always loved this quote as well. I think that though we realize the fleeting transience
of our lives, *how* we *live* our lives is even more important than just appreciating it
and living it to its fullest.
Beside the awareness that life is temporal, living with honor, even if it shortens
one’s life , is eternal. A decayed and withered spirit is a life that is blighted with rot.
In my experience, there are not many among us who live by a code of honor. I believe my
husband was one who did. When I read this quote I immediately
think of him. I appreciate very much HWNN your quote.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:03:33 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Marissa La Faye Isolde wrote:
I love everyone's comments and quotes today. But I cannot think of anything wise or
enlightening that *I* could possibly add. However, I would like to respond to HWNN’s
quote about the "Knights Oath".
I have always loved this quote as well. I think that though we realize the fleeting transience
of our lives, *how* we *live* our lives is even more important than just appreciating it
and living it to its fullest.
Beside the awareness that life is temporal, living with honor, even if it shortens
one’s life , is eternal. A decayed and withered spirit is a life that is blighted with rot.
In my experience, there are not many among us who live by a code of honor. I believe my
husband was one who did. When I read this quote I immediately
think of him. I appreciate very much HWNN your quote.

Ms, I am honored. The quote, as you can see, is from a favorite movie of mine. It encapsulates the highest purpose: to care for each other, to defend each other. If one is granted strength give it purpose in defense of those that need help. Stand for something, or you'll certainly fall for anything.

I'd like to have met your husband, and I'm glad to make your acquaintance.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)