The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Hearing Loss Options
Rajinder Tyagi
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 3:36:52 AM

Neurons: 2,254
There is a fad to use head-phones for a variety of reasons. How many of us know that this is likely to lead to diminished hearing at younger ages.The widespread use of portable music devices is leading to early hearing loss and is becoming a near epidemic! A 2006 US study found that among the users of such devices, be it for entertainment or for professional purposes, 35% of adults and up to 59% of teenagers reported listening at loud volumes. Most people are not aware that hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible!

Friends, it is food for thought and initiate remedies at personal level before it is too late.
ellana
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 2:24:16 PM

Neurons: 126,161
Indeed food for thought as I watch my grandchildren listen to loud music, loud TV, etc. But grandparents are very old fashioned and know nothing!!
Ni un voto al PRIAN PVEM
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 9:12:14 PM

Neurons: 53,996
Even though using headphones for leisure can lead to deafness it is the noise in the workplace the main cause of noise induced hearing loss. There are some studies correlating the amount of noise in the workplace with cortisol, hence people working in noisy environments are more prone to stress related diseases.

Quote:
Sound is measured in units called decibels. Sounds of less than 75 decibels, even after long exposure, are unlikely to cause hearing loss. However, long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. The louder the sound, the shorter the amount of time it takes for NIHL to happen.

Here are the average decibel ratings of some familiar sounds:

The humming of a refrigerator
45 decibels
Normal conversation
60 decibels
Noise from heavy city traffic
85 decibels
Motorcyles
95 decibels
An MP3 player at maximum volume
105 decibels
Sirens
120 decibels
Firecrackers and firearms
150 decibels
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/noise.aspx

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 12:30:46 PM

Neurons: 66,411
I am not a doctor.
Excess of medicines like Aspirin can cause hearing loss. take expert advice before taking such meds.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
CoolSmooth
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 8:38:48 AM

Neurons: 260,248
Shame on you Shame on you Good Morning or Afternoon. Lots of the ages 20 to 35 & 55 have Profound Hearing Loss & Its a "Bad" Sign. To Much Noise. I wear. CROSS Aide. I value the Ability to Hear a Variety of Earth's Sounds & Range
Please take Young Kids for a Complete Exam Thank You'll.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 11:53:11 PM

Neurons: 3,094
Another caution! There is no permanent treatment of loss of hearing in many cases even in this era of advanced medical research and education.

I am a layman.
Shulamit
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:05:02 PM

Neurons: 48,633
Ever notice the volume level in a movie theater?

My daughter and I purchased a noise meter for one of her science projects, many years ago. We then attended various events with the meter in hand. Movie theaters routinely cranked up the volume to levels equal to or louder than a rock concert.

Even my mother who has hearing loss and must wear hearing aids to carry on normal conversation has to stuff her ears with cotton or kleenex when she goes to a movie.

It's not just that there are more explosions, car chases, sirens, disaster and chain saws in the movies being made. Even the intimate dialogue is too loud. I wonder why there is no legislation about this.

Clearly this is damaging the hearing of movie goers.

Oddly enough, I've always turned the volume down when I listen to music. Okay, it's classical music, not rock, but still, I find that a lower volume automatically results in my listening more attentively. Then again, listening attentively is not what a lot of music is about now.

Variety is the spice of life. Lack of variety is the spouse of life.
bocrangsuthammy
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:53:42 AM

Neurons: 33

Really dangerous. I have met many people with hearing loss. Most use headphones too much