The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

i've been seeing a trend .... Options
memphis jailer
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:01:00 PM

Neurons: 1,311
with the association games .... there are people that do not know the game, yet the game it's self explanatory it's in the topic .... i don't want to say names .... it just really makes me want to shy away from them altogether because if one cannot follow the rules then the "integrity" of the game is broken .... anyone else feel this way? ... i mean seriously i don't want to make anyone feel like a dumbass for basically pointing out the obvious ... but it's like i log on and sometimes think i'd like to contribute, but then think what's the point if someone is going to come behind me and screw it up .... i feel like i have to fix it .... anyway .... its happened a few times and i just want to know if anyone else has the same problem or feelings i do with association games

your signature is silly!
shaoley
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:04:56 PM

Neurons: 740
I am guilty. I am one of those who contributes to association games and "screw it up", but I appreciate it when someone(like GG hehe) reminds me of the mechanics of the game. I would then rectify it before someone could eat my filth...

Bunburying
excaelis
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 2:55:37 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Dirt.

Whistle

Sanity is not statistical
grammargeek
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 7:16:03 PM

Neurons: 33,836
Very cute, X. Should I say "soil" next?

Seriously, I'm in total agreement with you, MJ. And thank you, shaoley, for not getting upset whenever I've nudged you.

Admittedly, I've nudged a lot of people to get back on track. OK, maybe more than nudged. But it does get very frustrating when it seems like the same people (and I don't mean you, shaoley) make the same mistakes over and over and over again.

All of the association games and other word games that I play have very simple rules. It's just a matter of keeping the rules straight for each game. I realize that it can be confusing when a person first starts playing, and they're playing multiple association games simultaneously. However, if you've gotten a reminder or two that you've not followed the rules for a particular game, then make it a point to go back and familiarize yourself with that game's rules, PLEASE!

Like MJ, there have been a number of times that I've gone to a game thread, only to find that the past several answers have gotten so far off track that I just decide to wait until the game has managed to straighten itself out before I will come out and play again.
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:51:41 AM

Neurons: 396,447
That is irritating but true. Some posters don't even visit the first page of any game thread and start posting. I have little participated in some of the games because of two reasons. One was this.

The other thing that I have sometimes mentioned in respective threads (especially Association Games) that the entries get redundant. I understand that you can't keep a record of all the words and you can't check all the words before posting. Fair enough. But if the originality of the game is lost and participants are playing with repetetive entries, what is the fun? I had even started a thread that such threads should be terminated. Start a new game with a fresh idea. Otherwise it becomes boring and stale.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:25:47 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I've joined a number of association threads, but generally visit the first page initially then the last few pages before posting. Not a very complex protocol, but it does stop you making a jackass of yourself. I apologise for the whimsy of my prior post in this thread but it was in support of MJ's point. Your move, gg !

Sanity is not statistical
TOOTS
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:35:57 AM

Neurons: 4,026
d'oh! guilty as charged, but anyone can make a mistake and there's always someone who helps steer you back on course ........

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
-- Cullen Hightower

There is no past tense to Love, either you always will or you never did. ....
Apple Blossom
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:29:44 AM

Neurons: 1,416
Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
-- Cullen Hightower
[/quote]

Oh, Toots, I love your quote! Thanks for the laugh. Angel