The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What is the opposite of procrastination? Options
Gonzalo
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:28:41 AM

Neurons: 15
A few years ago, while I was taking an English class, the instructor assigned us a homework which was to write an essay about a person we know and describe his/her main virtue.

Well, my father was a model of "anti-procrastination". His motto was, "everything has to be done now!" So I decided to write about him and his "gift". But I got stuck trying to find a word that means the opposite of procrastination. The closest I could find was 'promptitud', but even that one felt it was not close enough. Any suggestions?

And God said, "Let E=mc²," and there was light.
Luftmarque
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:53:57 AM

Neurons: 22,667
I can't think of a good English antonym for procrastination. We have on-time, pro-active, and timely, but they're not quite what we want here. An interesting lacuna, at least in my vocabulary (which, BTW, is where this topic belongs).

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:05:23 AM

Neurons: 68,455
Churchillian
("Action this day!")

hodietination, hodieaction

pronunctination!
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:09:07 AM

Neurons: 219,367
Thar, Churchillian I got, but what is hodietination?

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:13:13 AM

srirr wrote:
Thar, Churchillian I got, but what is hodietination?

cras is latin for tomorrow, for tomorrow holding

hodie is latin for today, but you don't hold for today, you act, hence actio.

I really could not think of an extant word that means doing things now. Promptitude comes closest but does not necessarily imply action, just timeliness.

We need this word!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:44:50 AM

Neurons: 373,856
precipitancy?
hasty?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
peterhewett
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:30:55 AM

Neurons: 3,698
Alacrity! Decisiveness! immediacy!

He that increases in knowledge increases in pain.
mailady
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:31:32 AM

Neurons: 2,752
How about compulsive?
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:53:28 AM

Neurons: 46,684
What about diligence, dispatch, discipline, expedite, actualize?

I too have found words indicated as the opposite of procrastination on the web. According to definitions:
- "concrastination", when "one starts on a task almost as soon as it is assigned, and does not rest until the task is done",
- "concrastinator", appropriately, describes a person "who rushes to be the first to do something or does not wait to do what ever it may be",
- "anticrastination" means "to expedite desired actions, in order to counteract habitual avoidance behavior".

One of the sources, where I discovered mentioned phrases was Urban Dictionary, though I'm a bit careful with using it as a trusted place to search for apt and proved information there.

Anyway, I've never come across those words before, they are totally new to me. I cannot say anything else to confirm their correctness, usefulness or even aboutness with reference to the OP's query. ;-)
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:52:10 AM

[quote=DarkMoon]What about diligence, dispatch, discipline, expedite, actualize?

I too have found two words indicated as the opposite of procrastination on the web. According to definitions:
- "concrastinator" describes a person "who rushes to be the first to do something or does not wait to do what ever it may be",
quote]

the trouble with concrastinator is whoever made it up did not realise the root of pro cras is to "for tomorrow". to concrastinate is merely to "with tomorrow ". - Definitely do it tomorrow!

you could contracrastinate, against tomorrow , but I think that is being against doing it tomorrow as well, which seems a more compulsive form of procrastination!

Whichever way, it never gets done today!
BonKurei
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:31:19 AM

Neurons: 189

Initiative.
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:20:02 AM

thar wrote:
the trouble with concrastinator is whoever made it up did not realise the root of pro cras is to "for tomorrow". to concrastinate is merely to "with tomorrow ". - Definitely do it tomorrow!

you could contracrastinate, against tomorrow , but I think that is being against doing it tomorrow as well, which seems a more compulsive form of procrastination!

Whichever way, it never gets done today!

Thanks for a great explanation, thar! That's a very good point - obviously, I should have checked the etymology of those words more carefully, especially the stems. :)

The matter with con- seems ambiguous, the more that it is frequently used as an abbreviation of contra, an expression of contradiction. Then I can only assume that "concrastination" ('against tomorrow'; in the meaning of 'not tomorrow' but today), an attempt to coin a neologism (?), was created and conceived as being in opposition to "procrastrination". That's merely my guess, perhaps a far-fetched one, and, I agree, it does not confirm anything.

Just a side note - there is a saying in my country; it's a loose translation: "All, what you should do tomorrow, do it today, and you'll have two days off". Someone, mockingly, converted it: "All, what you should do tomorrow, do it a day after tomorrow, you will have two days off". ;-)
HoosierDaddy
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:48:48 AM

Neurons: 107,199
I agree with Bon. Initiative!
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:55:07 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Hurry!

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

PhibesMD
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:59:06 AM

Neurons: 36
I would say dedication.

Be true to yourself. Everyone else will believe you.
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:06:41 PM

Neurons: 33,836
DarkMoon wrote:
One of the sources, where I discovered mentioned phrases was Urban Dictionary, though I'm a bit careful with using it as a trusted place to search for apt and proved information there.

Smart move. The Urban Dictionary is not particularly reliable. I'd say that if you already have a word that you cannot find in a regular dictionary, then looking for it in the Urban Dictionary would be worthwhile, but always do it with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I used to subscribe to the "Urban Word of the Day," and I came to understand their process for defining words. Basically, anyone can submit a word or phrase, along with the submitter's own definition of that word or phrase. Then the readers can vote on whether they like it or not (thumbs up or thumbs down). When multiple definitions for the same word or phrase are given, the one with the most votes appears at the top. I don't think any submissions are rejected outright.

A quick look at almost any entry provides convincing evidence that correct grammar is not a criterion for publication in the Urban Dictionary. To me, that speaks volumes about the standard of excellence--or not--found therein.

DarkMoon also wrote:
Just a side note - there is a saying in my country; it's a loose translation: "All, what you should do tomorrow, do it today, and you'll have two days off". Someone, mockingly, converted it: "All, what you should do tomorrow, do it a day after tomorrow, you will have two days off". ;-)

Similarly, the saying that comes to my mind is this one: Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
nitebird12
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:21:12 PM

Neurons: 21
Nowness?
JPK
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:08:47 PM

Neurons: 1,998
grammargeek wrote:
Similarly, the saying that comes to my mind is this one: Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Or don't put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. Whistle
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:57:03 PM

JPK wrote:
grammargeek wrote:

Or don't put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. Whistle

Yeah, I like that one better. Anxious
worldsclyde
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:31:11 PM

Neurons: 2,390
In a related topic, "the early bird catches the worm",
countered by, "the second mouse gets the cheese".

You stand between me and all my enemies. -Son Lux
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:50:29 PM

If a thing was worth doing it would have been done already!

blue2
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:58:54 PM

Neurons: 23,044
I believe diligent is the closest and most common.
I would also like to add that not all words have direct antonyms. If there isn't a word that fits the exact meaning you want, you just need to describe it with more words. In the case of describing a person, it is even better to give an example to show how the person exhibits the characteristic. Not one to procrastinate, as soon as he has put his mind to doing something he gets started on it.
Or something like that.

"Ignorant men don't know what good they hold in their hands until they've flung it away." - Sophocles
Wanderer
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:07:02 PM

Neurons: 78,988
blue2 wrote:
I believe diligent is the closest and most common.
I would also like to add that not all words have direct antonyms. If there isn't a word that fits the exact meaning you want, you just need to describe it with more words. In the case of describing a person, it is even better to give an example to show how the person exhibits the characteristic. Not one to procrastinate, as soon as he has put his mind to doing something he gets started on it.
Or something like that.

Applause Good answer.
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:09:17 PM

grammargeek wrote:
Smart move. The Urban Dictionary is not particularly reliable. I'd say that if you already have a word that you cannot find in a regular dictionary, then looking for it in the Urban Dictionary would be worthwhile, but always do it with a healthy dose of skepticism.

A quick look at almost any entry provides convincing evidence that correct grammar is not a criterion for publication in the Urban Dictionary. To me, that speaks volumes about the standard of excellence--or not--found therein.

Thanks a lot for an explanation, GG. I didn't know exactly the way the Urban Dictionary is working, though I suspected it might be something like that. To me, it all sounds quite weird, especially when they use a word 'dictionary' in their logo. Anyway, in case, when I need to find a word, I confirm the information, looking up or searching for a phrase in a few available dictionaries, including those ones installed on my computer's disc. I use the Urban Dictionary only as an additional source, and rather as the last one.

grammargeek wrote:

That's exactly what I've meant. On the other side, I'd say that after all tomorrow is another day. Whistle ;-)
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:37:02 PM

You're welcome, DM. I've been meaning for the longest time to put something about the Urban Dictionary in here somewhere, but it always got away from me. When you mentioned it, I thought maybe I shouldn't "procrastinate" about it any longer.

I've said, "After all, tomorrow's another day" too many times about this.

You know, that saying reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind.
Dreamy
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:44:47 PM

Neurons: 7,723
I sometimes try to imagine myself as a non-procrastinating model of productivity and achievement and this does motivate me to avoid becoming a slothful lay-about.

If you websearch the word "non-procrastinator" you will find it to be in common usage and accepted by spell-check.

Procrastinators vs. Non-Procrastinators

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:48:30 PM

Neurons: 32,652
worldsclyde wrote:
In a related topic, "the early bird catches the worm",
countered by, "the second mouse gets the cheese".

And when baiting a mousetrap with cheese, remember to leave room for the mouse. I was going to post this earlier, but...

Sanity is not statistical
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:00:00 PM

grammargeek wrote:
You're welcome, DM. I've been meaning for the longest time to put something about the Urban Dictionary in here somewhere, but it always got away from me. When you mentioned it, I thought maybe I shouldn't "procrastinate" about it any longer.

I've said, "After all, tomorrow's another day" too many times about this.

You know, that saying reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind.

I think it was interesting to read about it, the more that there might be some doubts raised, concerning the Urban Dictionary as a reliable and proved source of information.

Oh, you are right, there are the last words of Scarlett O'Hara, not mine. That's why I wrote them in italics. :) (Edit: To explain, I used that quote in one of the games recently, but I thought they fit to that situation as well.)
kaleem
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:58:38 PM

Neurons: 9,948
Your father was "anti-procrastination", simply the opposite has to be "procrastination".

Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:20:44 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Hyperactive?
Ellenrita
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:46:55 AM

Neurons: 3,889
Nike - Just Do It!
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:27:22 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Oh yeees, thats it, dont stop, yessss, Ohhhhhh
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 9:13:46 AM

unshillyshally?

excaelis
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 10:55:39 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Time Travel ? If procrastination is delaying something that you know you must do, then its opposite must be not delaying something you don't know you must do, doing it before you know about it. Which would require a Time Machine or T.A.R.D.I.S. of some sort. But then how would you know you needed a time machine in the first place ? And while I'm thinking about it, how do you throw away a boomerang ?

Sanity is not statistical
grammargeek
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 11:33:26 AM

excaelis wrote:
Time Travel ? If procrastination is delaying something that you know you must do, then its opposite must be not delaying something you don't know you must do, doing it before you know about it. Which would require a Time Machine or T.A.R.D.I.S. of some sort. But then how would you know you needed a time machine in the first place ? And while I'm thinking about it, how do you throw away a boomerang ?

The need for the ability to time travel is becoming more and more evident all the time. I submit JPK's idea (8/16) for your consideration.