The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Using numbers in words Options
yongxin
Posted: Monday, August 9, 2010 3:39:18 PM

Neurons: 126
I read somewhere on this forum that arabic is written phonetically. I often run into these words where letters are replaced by numbers (e.g. a7la; 5alik; m3ak). Why is that, is it because the pronounciation of the numbers is the same as the letters (is '7' pronounced as 'h')? If so, why would you replace it?
Ramy
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:58:38 AM

Neurons: 30
Actually there are letters that has no counter part in any language and it has no relation to the numbers also

so why do we use numbers then?
I asked my younger brother about this strange act when he writes something on the web and he said they (The youth) have now developed something like a web codes or a web special Arabic lettering that no one had set but it had been created spontaneously!
and he could be right because there no relation at all between those numbers and the letters they represent, also no relation at all between those letters and any letter in English for example those letters are

ق
ح
خ
ع
غ

they are widely used in Arabic and there is no match for them at all neither in numbers nor in English.
If you haven't heard their pronunciation before, you will be amazed of their very strange pronunciation.

Thank you for reading
yongxin
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:26:44 AM

Neurons: 126
Ramy wrote:

they are widely used in Arabic and there is no match for them at all neither in numbers nor in English.
If you haven't heard their pronunciation before, you will be amazed of their very strange pronunciation.

Thank you for reading

First of all: thank you for your answer, Ramy!
So what you're saying is that people randomly changed some letters in words with, also, randomly chosen numbers. And despite that it's all random, there is some kind of regularity in the use of it now right?
Ramy
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:29:07 AM

Yes, Exactly, that is what happened,
It's very strange indeed, and I can't explain it, but yes that is what happened
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:12:13 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Well, you guys designed the numbers we all use in the first place, so I guess you can do whatever you like with them ;-)
Ramy
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:09:23 PM

excaelis wrote:
Well, you guys designed the numbers we all use in the first place, so I guess you can do whatever you like with them ;-)

Thank you very much for the nice notice.
Winnie
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:16:43 AM

Neurons: 485
I would like to add that the choice of the letters to be replaced, and the numbers that replace them are is not completely random.

The problem started with some letters or sounds in arabic that have no equivalent in english, so when writing phoenetic arabic using english letters, those sounds were replaced by similar sounds at first

for example :

h = ح
خ = kh

But they are not the same sound, and sometimes, the replacement creates a confusion.
So someone, nobody knows who and when, tried using digit numbers in the place of these letters. The numbers used have a shape slightly similar to the letters.

for example 7 is used for ح
3' is used in the place of غ
3 is used in the place of ع etc...

This use have grown with time, and although it might slightly differ, it has become almost standarised and recognised by anyone who sends web or text messages in phoenetic arabic using english letters.
ginchou
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 1:56:04 AM

Neurons: 36
i just want to say Arabic is crazy. i can not imagine that these words are legible, because it seems to me that they are all connected and have no independent component.
Winnie
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 9:28:30 AM

Neurons: 485
ginchou wrote:
i just want to say Arabic is crazy. i can not imagine that these words are legible, because it seems to me that they are all connected and have no independent component.

Well, I just want to add that arabic should be written in arabic letters in order to be legible.

This method of writing arabic phoenetically using English letters is very informal and slang, and only used in texting. It can be really cofusing to read.

It definitly cannot be compared to the chinese pinyin, a formal way of writing that has established rules.