The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his own works. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his own works.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 1:52:29 AM

Neurons: 240,520
I like hat "ecery man is th son of his own works". You could say "what you do shows who you are".
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:51:51 AM

Neurons: 63,022
we earn our wrinkles

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
dahmed63
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:11:11 AM

Neurons: 10,751
I believe that one should work hard and use the circumstances . Brave man I understand it as standing where others will run away. So brave man carve his own fortune ? May he work hard against the stream but the results depends on his perseverance and on the circumstances. Both of which will decide what he is or was. That's why I don't agree with him .
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:45:26 AM

Neurons: 258,893
There's not enough fortune for everyone... Brave or coward, one carve out its fortune out of fortune of others.
azbnb
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:09:42 AM

Neurons: 754,754
Reminds me of something the Pastry Chef told me back in my bakery days........If you bake a pie, you eat a pie.

The Mountains are CALLING And I must go - John Muir
Bobby Angell
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:18:58 AM

Neurons: 1,743
"Brave" men throughout history have "carved out fortunes. Many have carved them right through the hearts and lives of others. I suppose that they too are the children of their works. The spoiled, the entitled and the selfish. I doubt this was the intent of Cervantes quote but it's important for people that use words like this as a guide today. Don Quiotix was a selfless idealist,insane but and idealist.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:37:37 AM

Neurons: 5,664,744
I don't know where the first part of the quotation comes (The brave man carves out his fortune,)
because in the spanish versions it doesn't appear that way.

This is from: DON QUIXOTE - CHAPTER IV - OF WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR KNIGHT WHEN HE LEFT THE INN

This is the spanish version :

Mire vuestra merced, señor, lo que dice, dijo el muchacho, que este mi amo no es caballero, ni ha recibido orden de caballería alguna, que es Juan Haldudo el rico, vecino del Quintanar.
Importa poco eso, respondió Don Quijote, que Haldudos puede haber caballeros, cuanto más que cada uno es hijo de sus obras. Así es verdad, dijo Andrés; pero este mi amo, ¿de qué obras es hijo, pues me niega mi soldada y mi sudor y trabajo? No niego, hermano Andrés, respondió el labrador, y hacedme placer de veniros conmigo, que yo juro, por todas las órdenes de caballerías hay en el mundo, de pagaros, como tengo dicho, un real sobre otro, y aun sahumados.

http://www.donquijote.org/spanishlanguage/literature/library/quijote/7.asp

In the John Ormsby traslation The best I read in English it appears very similar.

"Consider what you are saying, senor," said the youth; "this master of mine is not a knight, nor has he received any order of knighthood; for he is Juan Haldudo the Rich, of Quintanar."
"That matters little," replied Don Quixote; "there may be Haldudos knights; moreover, everyone is the son of his works"."That is true," said Andres; "but this master of mine—of what works is he the son, when he refuses me the wages of my sweat and labour?"
"I do not refuse, brother Andres," said the farmer, "be good enough to come along with me, and I swear by all the orders of knighthood there are in the world to pay you as I have agreed, real by real, and perfumed."

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5921/5921-h/5921-h.htm#ch4
pag asa
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 1:17:41 PM

Neurons: 142,008
It is like we are our own work to perfection.
johnfl
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:36:17 PM

Neurons: 410,553
A SPADE IS A SPADE NOMATTER THE CONTEX. IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DOG YOU JUST DON`T KNOW FOR SURE WITHOUT A CLOSER LOOK.
Platinum-Kat
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:18:47 PM

Neurons: 40,222
Brick wall

True for the time. And some truth for many today, but not all.

-K.
Platinum-Kat
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:20:53 PM

Neurons: 40,222
Applause

I like.

-K.

johnfl wrote:
A SPADE IS A SPADE NOMATTER THE CONTEX. IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DOG YOU JUST DON`T KNOW FOR SURE WITHOUT A CLOSER LOOK.