The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What are you reading? Options
JohnJay-
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:24:13 PM

Neurons: 252
I'm reading two completely different type of novels right now; the first one is Narcissus by Jonathan Shaw. He is one of the greatest beat movement icons. The other one is The Iron King, the first book of a well known serie of historical novels named The Cursed Kings written by the freanch author Maurice Druon.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 10:22:34 AM

Neurons: 151,581
JohnJay- wrote:
I'm reading two completely different type of novels right now; the first one is Narcissus by Jonathan Shaw. He is one of the greatest beat movement icons. The other one is The Iron King, the first book of a well known serie of historical novels named The Cursed Kings written by the French author Maurice Druon.

That last sounds good - I know the history of the period well (from the British viewpoint) but reading the French view of it would be interesting - particularly as GRR Martin says he used this series of books as the inspiration for "Game of Thrones".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Black Adder
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 3:58:38 PM

Neurons: 772
I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I also want to watch the eponymous series after finishing the book. I'm interested in mythology and I like this novel. My favorite characters are Mr. Ibis and Mr. Jacquel, maybe because I like Egyptian myths more than others. I also love Mad Sweeney!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 9:03:49 PM

Neurons: 151,581
Black Adder wrote:
I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I also want to watch the eponymous series after finishing the book. I'm interested in mythology and I like this novel. My favorite characters are Mr. Ibis and Mr. Jacquel, maybe because I like Egyptian myths more than others. I also love Mad Sweeney!

A very unusual book (as are most of Gaiman's!).
I enjoyed particularly the characterisations of 'degenerate' historical gods and spotting who was who (Mr Wednesday = Odin; Low-Key Lyesmith = Loki and so on)
The portrayal of Mr. Ibis and Mr. Jacquel as modern-day funeral directors is great.

For full appreciation of the book, a 'working knowledge' of mythology (from Egyptian to Germanic and African to Icelandic) plus American culture helps!

Try "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - great fun!
It might help if you read the Book of Revelation (The Apocalypse) first.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Black Adder
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2017 7:01:19 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Try "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - great fun!
It might help if you read the Book of Revelation (The Apocalypse) first.

I've already read "Good Omens"! It's hilarious book! I'm in love with Crowley and Aziraphale and I think it's great idea to portray angel and demon as friends. I like the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse and the Four Other Riders of the Apocalypse, despite the fact that I've never read the Book of Revelation. They remind me of the Four Horsemen of Apocralypse from the Discworld. I also like that "Good Omens" Death resembles Discworld Death which is my favorite Pratchett character.

Black Adder
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 3:21:02 PM

I've finished reading American Gods recently and now I'm reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I've already seen the Dark Tower movie and I liked it, especially Matthew McConaughey's performance. I know that some book series fans are disapointed by the movie, but watching the screen adaptation made me interested in reading the books. I've already read The Gunslinger, the first novel in the Dark Tower series. I'm fascinated by the story and I can't wait to read the next novel, The Drawing of the Three.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 6:45:46 AM

Neurons: 308,926
Right now I'm in the halfway of reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.

I strongly recommend this book to everyone interested in where we came from, how we became like this, and where are we heading to.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Misida
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 11:38:00 AM

Neurons: 3
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. just WOW! It's amazing!

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” - Mark Twain
kitman
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 7:06:45 AM

Neurons: 388
Classified Woman by Sibel Edmonds
Classified Woman is a book that does three difficult things at once – it makes a historically significant contribution to our understanding of the domestic political roots of our foreign policy, it identifies flaws in our systems of justice and accountability that should be addressed, and it does so in a way that makes for a good day or two at the beach for every individual reader.
Eric Newton
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 9:11:34 AM

Neurons: 3
I am reading blogs about essay writing help because I need quick guide how to complete my assignment.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 2:16:01 AM

Neurons: 908,786
I just started the Ribblestop series by Andy Mulligan. It was listed along with some other series I enjoyed in a small quiz ("match the character with the academy") including Nigel Molesworth and Quentin Coldwater (The Magicians).

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
whatson
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 10:29:26 AM

Neurons: 2,389
I confess (while blushing):

In Praise of Profanity
by Michael Adams
(www oup com)

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 4:32:16 PM

Neurons: 4,653

I'm reading about "Orphan", because I wached the movie

and I wanted to know more about it.

www.imdb.com/title/Orphan

Horror