The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does "Politically Correct" mean? (for fair-minded readers) Options
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 1:53:32 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Whenever something happens in the US we get an echo down here, Captain James Cook did not discover Australia, as some plaques on statues say, however he was the first

Englishman to map the Eastern Coast of Australia.

Hundreds of years previously Dutch, Portuguese and other sailors had landed on the Western Coast of Australia but found it unsuitable to colonise.

Chinese and Indian and the above two landed in the North, no one attempted colonisation until the English with Arthur Phillip in 1788.

Three more days and Captain La Perouse would have planted the flag for France, had he and his men not been partying with Phillips men in Botany Bay, whilst Arthur Phillip

in a row boat snuck off in the darkness and usurped the Frenchman, planting the flag in Sydney Harbour.

At the same time the Germans and the US navies were all sailing off the East Coast of OZ.

We must have been very popular in the late 1700's for many domestic reasons, also Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Australia was not devoid of human life at any time for the previous 40,000 years and some archaeological finds say further back than that.

If we think racism and bigotry is alive and well today, just imagine for a second what it was like back then.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 7:23:24 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Dear Fair-Minded People:

1. President Obama's government had ordered all universities to assume that all female university students were telling the truth whenever they claimed that male university students had mistreated them.

2. This example of political correctness has destroyed the lives of many innocent male university students.

3. President Trump supports equal rights for ALL -- even males.

4. So his government, according to today's news, is planning to undo the terrible injustice brought about by President Obama's order.

a. The new government will change the rules so that males -- and not only females -- are treated equally in such cases.

I do not know what country you live in, but I encourage you to do everything possible to prevent your beloved country from falling into the nightmare of political correctness.

President Trump is doing his best for the United States of America, but powerful interest groups are determined to stop him.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 8:12:22 AM

Neurons: 413,129
TheParser wrote:

a. The new government will change the rules so that males -- and not only females -- are treated equally in such cases.

Slight contradiction in terms there.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 12:07:37 PM

Neurons: 43,441
Here is the other side to the simplistic Republican accusation leveled by Parser that males were being discriminated against when it came to sexual assault on campuses. The Republican Party line re political correctness is being parroted without any research as to the facts of the case. My links present both sides, although the Education Secretary has not provided any details yet.

Aside - Although the Republican mantra is that mainstream media discriminate against them, I had to search and search for the exact Obama-era rules re campus assault. The search engines just kept bringing up the story that Betsy Devos, Trump’s Republican Secretary of Education, wants to make changes without actually explaining what was now in place and the specific changes she wants to make.

The previous admin was simply telling campuses to stop sweeping sexual assault under the rug and start enforcing the laws. And very importantly to stress PREVENTION and provide a safe environment. Some campuses may have “overreached” in response but The “Dear Colleague” letter also provides robust protections to the accused. For proof, she says, look at an investigation this fall: “DOE actually found a school responsible for violating Title IX because of the way they treated an accused student.”

The previous admin was trying to make school safe for ALL students. All was stressed in the literature.

I am sure if there is something to be done to make it better the previous admin would be happy. However, it appears DeVos just wants to loosen the rules in favor of the attacker but I am not sure if that is the case because she has not released specifics.

After many tries at searching, I finally found the accusation leveled by Parser was connected to Title IX and then I found the link that explains what the Obama-era Letter to Campuses actually said. The letter was an advisory only.

The accusation that Obama's rules unfairly discriminated against males is unfounded. In fact the letter firmly says prompt and equitable resolution must happen and also includes rapes against males. (6.1 % of males and 1 in 5 females) Biden was pointing out that rape is not only a crime but also must be investigated under Title IX, implemented in 1972. This also includes harassment as well as sexual violence.

http://www.wbur.org/edify/2016/11/25/title-ix-obama-trump

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-latest-waiting-for-new-guidance-on-title-ix-enforcement/2017/09/07/7499058e-93e1-11e7-8482-8dc9a7af29f9_story.html?utm_term=.35e8206881ac

Apparently what needs to be done is exactly what was mentioned above - that Title IX investigations are investigating if the campus is being “equitableto both parties in a dispute.

Five years after the letter was published, Brodsky believes that schools are beginning to "protect the equality and safety of students of all genders" — not for fear of breaking the law or of losing funding, but because the students themselves have persuaded them that it's the right thing to do.”

Trump, himself accused of sexual exploitation, has ordered those rules to be overhauled, undoing, as usual, what the Obama-era did.

To put rape disputes under the heading of “political correctness gone amok” is unconscionable.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
zina antoaneta
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 4:24:54 PM

Neurons: 100,059
progpen wrote:
It's an absolute fact that 98.75% of US citizens think it's acceptable to use made up statistics as long as it makes them sound credible.

The funny thing is that there are places on this blue dot where people think that this is the problem with America: too much political correctness!
For the media feeds the people with fake or distorted stories provided by the neocons showing how the US is turning into an anarchy for there is too much freedom.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 10:22:05 PM

Neurons: 1,156,707
This looks to be incredibly bad timing by DeVos, with new allegations against Joe Paterno, the long-time and former head (American) football coach at Penn State. He had word that his defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, was engaged in serial abuse of minors, and he did nothing for years.

In this case the victims were exclusively male, but people figured you might be ruining Sandusky's life, some of accusers did seem to have "problems," and the whole community would be upset if the accuser was wrong! Sandusky even ran a charity for needy kids!

The new rules would discourage rejecting accusations out of hand.

One example of such a false accusation is what seemed to be a strike against political correctness and left-wing violence.

Here is the original report: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/20/misidentified-a-man-was-stabbed-because-a-haircut-made-him-look-like-a-nazi/
Here is what we found out eight days later: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/28/neo-nazi-stabbing-fake-colorado-joshua-witt

Reading the article, the police mention some clues that are obvious in retrospect, but non-trained professionals just wouldn't notice them. I would be shocked if police do not have similar procedures for any sort of assault: there are a few things people just can't cover up. Or there is enough it's easy to overlook something. Police detectives can pick up clues pretty quickly. It's their job to see and interpret a lot more than an average person can.

And the fact is: if someone makes a demonstrably false claim/proof, they ruin their own lives. We've seen that with people making false accusations of assault by Trump supporters.

Now I think we need serious punishment for people who make patently false sexual assault accusations. Potentially more serious than someone filing a random wrong police report, because the attacker is immediately identified. But police should treat the accuser as innocent until the accuser crosses themselves up.

And we saw at Penn State what happened when this gets swept under the rug. All Joe Paterno's hagiographers and supporters couldn't push back against the evidence that built against a man who, in so many other ways, seemed to defy the stereotype of football, who seemed trustworthy and "old school," but unfortunately being old school meant not recognizing a new problem: a monster like Sandusky having his way for 20+ years.

Maybe stronger rules would have helped or impelled someone as generally by-the-book as Paterno to get rid of Sandusky sooner. Paterno might never have wavered in showing Sandusky the door.

Now this is anecdotal, but it's something I can't forget, and it's a clincher to me as to why guidelines matter and should stay in place. I also do not know the details, but I am pretty sure that forensics are advanced to the point where police have ways to tell quickly if someone has faked a rape or assault. So, basically, someone who fakes a report has to jump through a lot of hoops to get away with it.

Unfortunately the guidelines are still sort of a trolley problem--there will be false rape accusations, and it is tough to balance that out versus straightforward guidelines to prevent and discourage sexual assault and worse. But I think far fewer lives would be ruined by keeping the Obama-era guidelines in place.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 11:15:43 PM

zina antoaneta wrote:
progpen wrote:
It's an absolute fact that 98.75% of US citizens think it's acceptable to use made up statistics as long as it makes them sound credible.

The funny thing is that there are places on this blue dot where people think that this is the problem with America: too much political correctness!
For the media feeds the people with fake or distorted stories provided by the neocons showing how the US is turning into an anarchy for there is too much freedom.

Hi Zina. Welcome to the forum.

The job of the media is to hold the government and the citizens accountable for their actions. It is easy to see why a leader or government might want to get rid of its critics so they can do what they want even when it is not kosher. It is a favorite trick of dictators.

What better way to get rid of the media than by attacking them and telling people that the media spreads false news?

Unfortunately some people do not do their homework and check out facts from several sources. And thus if the leader repeats it often enough they become willing consumers of that fabrication that the news is all fake when it isn't.

If I told you all the recent hurricane news is fake news, would you believe me? If not, why not? Unless you are there, how else would you know except through the news?

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 3:28:14 AM

Neurons: 53,503
TheParser wrote:
President Obama's government had ordered all universities to assume that all female university students were telling the truth whenever they claimed that male university students had mistreated them.

This is simply not true.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:38:40 AM

The state of Texas is recovering from severe flooding, as you fair-minded people know.

The police in at least some parts of that state are telling the good people something like this:

"If any thugs try to loot (steal things from) your flood-damaged property, go ahead: SHOOT THEM."

That is good news in the fight against political correctness.

More good news:

Texas also allows university students to carry guns. If a thug comes on campus to harm a student, that student has the legal right to send that thug directly to H_ll.

Texas, however, is changing.

Eventually it will be like the politically correct states of California, New York, Minnesota, etc.

In those states, thugs are often treated as victims of society !!!

Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:58:36 AM

Not shooting looters now equals politcal correctness!

tunaafi
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 1:28:04 PM

TheParser wrote:

"If any thugs try to loot (steal things from) your flood-damaged property, go ahead: SHOOT THEM."

GREAT! If somebody tries to make off with a sodden bedspread, you can now legally KILL them! Jeez, I wish I were American. I love killing people.

Quote:

Texas also allows university students to carry guns. If a thug comes on campus to harm a student, that student has the legal right to send that thug directly to H_ll.

GREAT. A white guy comes on to campus to punch me because I (of Afro-American descent) ogled his sister and I can KILL him.

I so envy you Americans. The slightest provocation, and you can KILL people. Hpw do I apply for US citizenship?

Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 3:34:33 PM

OMG. Hell is a bad word now. d'oh!

Tuna, the real police are just arresting looters and apparently looting is minimal. It is the residents who have decided to shoot looters and put up warning signs. Texas does have a "Stand Your Ground rule " but the homeowner has to prove they felt their safety was being threatened. However, I did read that the police themselves were given authority to shoot looters in 2005 after Katrina, even though some were desperately stealing food and baby supplies - not TVs etc. - so some residents mistakenly think they have the right to shoot just to protect property.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4851526/Houston-homeowners-threaten-shoot-looters.html

If you were to become American in order to kill, just remember - they would have had more practice and it might backfire (pun intended) Whistle on you and you might get shot first. Wouldn't want to see that happen!

PS - Talking about dodging bullets - I've been in touch with our friends in Naples, Ft. Myers, Stuart, and Orlando - and everybody lucked out. They are all safe and had only minimal wind damage to their properties. Applause Location and the fact that the storm downgraded before it reached them allowed this.

TheParser
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 5:53:50 AM

Dear Fair-Minded Members and Guests:

If you do not live in the United States, you are probably SHOCKED at the amount of political correctness in this country.

Well, hold on to your hats! You won't believe the latest news.

In New York City, some people refuse to pay to ride the subway (the underground).

The city, which has many "liberal" officials, has just announced that fare evaders (those who refuse to pay) will no longer be prosecuted (punished).

The city's explanation is this: Most fare evaders are "poor" people from two certain groups. So it unfair to punish them.

(Have you noticed how many "poor" people seem to always have enough money to buy fancy shoes, elegant clothes, smartphones, etc.?)

Hope123
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 2:02:15 PM

Parser,

WTF does this subway issue have to do with political correctness? Or Liberals? Absolutely nothing!

You think you know more about policing, the law, and punishment, than the experts involved, do you?

You are even spinning the facts about the subway issue. Cyrus Vance Jr. of the District Attorney’s office decided to OFFER ALTERNATIVES such as counseling and community service in lieu of prosecution and it is a move being watched to see how successful it is. The subway abusers are not getting off free.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/manhattan-d-a-aims-to-stop-prosecuting-subway-fare-evaders-1505403036

You want to put subway ticket abusers in jail as well?

The annual Council of Europe Annual Penal Statistics data for 47 member countries…2013 report shows that the median European prison population rate was 133.5 inmates per 100,000 people. In the United States, the rate was 478 per 100,000 — three and half times the European rate. The United States also far exceeded Canada (188 per 100,000), Australia (130 per 100,000), New Zealand (192 per 100,000) and Japan (51 per 100,000).”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/07/07/yes-u-s-locks-people-up-at-a-higher-rate-than-any-other-country/?utm_term=.93176098433c

As someone who is not poor, being grateful for what you have and having a little compassion for those who are poor would not be amiss.

Furthermore, how do you know the DA who made the decision is a “Liberal”? Here is a sample of some of the court cases this “Liberal-in-Parser’s-Mind” has won. 428 years in prison does not sound exactly lenient to me. It sounds as if this lawyer and DA knows what he is doing in all cases.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Vance_Jr.

Vance's recent successes include the sentencing of a serial rapist to 428 years to life in prison;[38] sentencing of a man to 23 years to life in prison for a domestic violence murder;[39] indictments against 26 individuals living in Manhattan who possessed graphic images of child sexual assault;[40] the sentencing of a man to at least 15 years in prison for a 2000 rape; a sentencing of a man to 25 to life in prison for a 1997 home invasion and murder;[41]…
Vance's newly created Major Economic Crimes Bureau has won (many) convictions…”

Also, on this issue and others you are inflating political correctness to mean any concept with which you disagree.

Your constant harassment and attacks on liberals when you know there are liberals at the table here, meaning they are attacks on us, is tiresome and RUDE. The reference was there, and even in this case if it was just in apposition, the attacks are cumulative. Especially when you refuse to even respond yourself to critiques of material you post. We at least try to remember to say "Some Republicans" when answering, and do not use it as a derogatory term. IMCO, you are the least fair-minded middle-of-the-road flexible person on the Forum. Since you brag with the opposite assessment of yourself all the time, I am simply disagreeing with your cognitive bias.

Romany
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 6:06:01 PM

Neurons: 42,268

If any thugs try to loot (steal things from) your flood-damaged property, go ahead: SHOOT THEM."

More good news:

This runs very close to infringement of "incitement to violence" laws which Google are at present not disposed to look upon leniently.

But what it does do, unarguably, is to commend violence and death as viable solutions to societal problems. On a Forum which is dedicated to language, language learning & communicative expertise it is simply not good enough to let this kind of sentence and the ideas it encapsulates, pass by as "normal". It is NOT.

In no other developed country is it considered "normal" to incite citizens of that country to kill their fellow citizens. Especially in times of emergency. The majority of Americans do not want to kill other people.

A large number of posters here live in tropical countries; Australasia and other places where floods, typhoons, bushfires etc.are regular occurrences.Quite a few of us have been caught up in them. No-one has guns. No citizen has the right to take the life of another. Licence to do so by the police would be considered anarchy. No other developed country even still has a death penalty.

And no it is NOT alright to send your children off to their tertiary education with a gun and instructions to kill others. This defeats the whole purpose of "Higher" education.

Only in some kind of dystopian vision could the violent statements which the Parsar endorses and uses reflect reality for the rest of The West.They don't even reflect the views of the majority of Americans. The proof of every single lie the Parsar has told appears in every thread in which he has lied. Except those in which he has lied about his fellow posters. Those condemnatory comments, too, still stand.

And no! The Parsar did not"merely exercise his right to free speech". He abused it when he declared this dreadful licence to kill was "Good news". That is his own, personal thought.

It's an admission of failure of the gravest kind - helplessness to protect a community from themselves: the antithesis of what most cultures - including those in other parts of America - recognise as "civillized" in 2017.

It's also true as Hope pointed to, that none of this has anything - in any way, shape or form - to do with political correctness.

TheParser
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:02:20 AM

A S0-CALLED LIBRARIAN

Dear Fair-Minded Members and Guests:

1. Our lovely and elegant First Lady recently sent some books to one school in each of the 50 states.

a. The purpose was to encourage children to read.

2. One box of books went to a school in the very "liberal" state of Massachusetts.

3. Did the librarian thank the First Lady?

a. No, she did not.
b. She rejected the books (although she did not have the authority to do so).
c. Can you guess why she rejected the books? (They were children's books written by Dr. Seuss.)

Yes, you guessed right.

That "librarian" described Dr. Seuss's books as "racist."

Today in the United States everything is considered "racist" by "liberals."

In her letter rejecting the gift, that "librarian" also criticized the policies of President Trump -- of course. What a lack of class!

When former First Ladies Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Barbara Bush read Dr. Seuss books to children, no one accused them of reading "racist" propaganda.

The First Lady's office answered the "librarian" 's letter of rejection.

I wish that it had not.

In my OPINION, the First Lady should have completely ignored that "librarian" 's impertinence. Nothing is worse than an individual that does not keep his place.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:11:37 AM

Agreed. It was not the librarian's job to write that to Melania and it is stupid anyhow. The past is written. She was just trying to use it to further her own political views when it was not even pertinent. It just created more controversy in an already overloaded regime.

But such rhetoric does need to be challenged, so I am glad Melania's office answered, although I haven't yet read what she said.

This was worse than political correctness - it was censorship. And by a librarian!

The phrase “know their place “ seems somehow limiting and judgmental to me and there are worse things. But there are times when the phrase fits, where people need to “know their place”, and this was one of them. Her job was to take the books, do what ever she wanted with them, and keep her mouth shut. If anyone else had donated them that is what she would have done.

Does anyone have a better phrase?

tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:21:30 AM

TheParser wrote:
Today in the United States everything is considered "racist" by "liberals."

Rubbish!

From what I have read so far, it seems that the librarian's actions were out of order. Why spoil your point by suggesting that the librarian was a "liberal" and that her behaviour was typical of "liberals"?
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:50:56 AM

If the President of the US would become a leader of all Americans instead of playing to his “base” and would give this speech, librarians might not feel the need to speak out against racism.

No politcal correctness here - just common human decency. A powerful speech all humans should watch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/09/29/meet-the-air-force-general-who-delivered-a-powerful-lesson-in-leadership/?utm_term=.625294f871a4

Romany
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:44:00 PM

Been watching Fox again, Parsar? Or just telling porky pies?

1. The Librarian did NOT say anything whatsoever - in any way, shape or form - racist.

2. She pointed out that their's was a wealthy school where the Librarian had a University degree, the shelves were stacked with over 50,000 books and whose parents were wealthy enough to buy them any books they wanted.

3. She said 10 Dr.Zeuss books were not the sort of books schools needed. She said there was a need for good books in a school library and that Dr. Zeuss was not very helpful to the students. She said Dr.Zeuss was dated.

4. She asked that the books rather be given to schools that had no - or very meagre access to - books. She suggested that it would have been better to celebrate National Book week by giving schools that need books useful books that will enhance their studies.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 12:24:41 AM

Neurons: 1,156,707
Giving Dr Seuss books to a library for being a good library seems horribly hackneyed. It's like giving a striped tie or two to someone for their fashion sense.

And Hope, I agree Parser's talk of "knowing your place" is unfortunate at best. While I think there were other ways to say "thanks but no thanks," I do think this was a terrible, hackneyed gift. "Kids love Dr. Seuss, amirite?" Even if, say, Melania had a list of books librarians could choose from, or if there was a Slovenian children's/young adult book people didn't know about, that would be very valuable. I think she could even have gotten an assistant to see what books those libraries had, then given them what they didn't.

Also, equating a First Lady reading a Seuss book with giving it as a gift is, well, false equivalence

The librarian knew her place because she was able to evaluate what she needed and what she didn't, and she knows a library can and should be about offering people the chance to find new books. I'm a bit surprised The_Parser would say this, since he always writes from a library. I hope he's never told the librarians there to know their place.

Besides, if you want a laugh, google Dr Seuss America First or image-search. Snopes has an article, etc.: http://www.snopes.com/dr-seuss-adolf-wolf/

So we see 1) Seuss made some racist cartoons about Japanese-Americans, and 2) Seuss had "America First" style stuff pegged.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 1:09:20 AM

Neurons: 5,715
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Far_from_the_Bamboo_Grove#Korean_protest

semi-autobiographical novel written by Yoko Kawashima Watkins, a Japanese American writer.[1] It was originally published by Beech Tree in April 1986.

Watkins was awarded the Literary Lights for Children Award by Associates of the Boston Public Library in 1998 and the Courage of Conscience Award by the Peace Abbey.[2][3]

In 2006, Korean-American community asked that the book be removed from the English curriculum of Dover-Sherborn Middle School, criticizing that the book exonerates various Japanese war crimes by omission and portrays oppressed Koreans as the oppressors.[7][8] After the controversy arose in the Greater Boston area, similar efforts in other parts of the U.S. have been successful in removing the book from the curriculum and reading lists.[7][9]

The author said that she had no intention to disregard the history of Korea and apologized for any hard feelings felt by Korean readers. She stated her intention was to portray her childhood experiences in a softer way for young readers. She denied the accusations made by the Korean newspapers.[10]

Now the korean activists are putting up statues all over the world.

washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/09/21/

This man who stabbed the US ambassador can be included in the activists.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world/South Korea jails man for stabbing US ambassador Mark Lippert

Romany
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 8:18:44 AM

Throughout the rest of the free world humanity has striven, fought and died for the concept of freedom. Exactly *because* humankind cannot progress if they are locked into a rigid hierarchy in which no-one has the freedom to strive for betterment - because they are propagandised to "know their place".

If indeed we still lived within that kind of rigid code what would be the point in Parsar's naive belief that *anyone* can become President of the United States? That would entail NOT knowing their place.

Of course the Parsar doesn't believe this subservient, medieval bull-crap. Nobody has, for hundreds of years. Once again,he doesn't have the honestly or courage to stand up for what he really believes: that *women* should not be equal human beings but should always pretend to be dumber than men, obedient, empty-headed, quiet, and whatever other qualities misogynists try to beat into us.

Just tell the truth, mate. Tell all the good people who haven't yet heard, how you dislike women who have minds, opinions, careers, strength or freedom. Cut the "knowing your place" meme... or else explain how you think it only applies to women, black people, poor people, brown people, gay people and foreigners.