The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Prayer for my Childhood friend. Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:49:18 PM

Neurons: 67,066
My Childhood friend, R. K. is suffering from terminal disease.
I request my forum colleagues to pray for him.

No criticism please. Only pray please. He is my friend.Pray Pray Pray

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
whatson
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:21:04 PM

Neurons: 2,389
Are questions allowed?

To whom/what would you or your friend like/prefer us to pray?

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 12:43:40 PM

Whatson, Almighty will not spare you for this question.

You are an established ignorant if you don't know whom to pray?
Excuse me .

whatson
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 1:44:39 PM

Neurons: 2,389
Bravo, AJ, you've earned the privilege of posing as a goofy toddler
- for ignoring the many other "almighties" others may be praying to.

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 11:46:50 AM

Your Mocking my request will cure my friend, I am so sure.
But will...........

God Bless you, whatson.............................................................Q M.

I wish HE does.Silenced Silenced Silenced Silenced Silenced Silenced Silenced

Yarin
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 4:54:38 PM

Neurons: 2,432
She ka bi ko ma li po fe ro gu ti ya we qu si ha ni va zi da lo no ka ty pu ga zy.
I hope that prayer would cure your friend.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 10:20:02 AM

Neurons: 3,144
Your attention please;

Only fools mock God

6. Psalm 14:1-2 For the choir director: A psalm of David. Only fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, and their actions are evil; not one of them does good! The LORD looks down from heaven on the entire human race; he looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God.

7. Jeremiah 17:15-16 People scoff at me and say, “What is this ‘message from the LORD’ you talk about? Why don’t your predictions come true?” LORD, I have not abandoned my job as a shepherd for your people. I have not urged you to send disaster. You have heard everything I’ve said.

9. Psalm 74:8-12 They thought, “We will completely crush them!” They burned every place where God was worshiped in the land. We do not see any signs. There are no more prophets, and no one knows how long this will last. God, how much longer will the enemy make fun of you? Will they insult you forever? Why do you hold back your power? Bring your power out in the open and destroy them! God, you have been our king for a long time. You bring salvation to the earth.

10. Psalm 74:17-23 You set all the limits on the earth; you created summer and winter. Lord, remember how the enemy insulted you. Remember how those foolish people made fun of you. Do not give us, your doves, to those wild animals. Never forget your poor people. Remember the agreement you made with us, because violence fills every dark corner of this land. Do not let your suffering people be disgraced. Let the poor and helpless praise you. God, arise and defend yourself. Remember the insults that come from those foolish people all day long. Don’t forget what your enemies said; don’t forget their roar as they rise against you always.

2 Chronicles 32:17-23 The king also wrote letters ridiculing the Lord, the God of Israel, and saying this against him: “Just as the gods of the peoples of the other lands did not rescue their people from my hand, so the god of Hezekiah will not rescue his people from my hand.” Then they called out in Hebrew to the people of Jerusalem who were on the wall, to terrify them and make them afraid in order to capture the city. They spoke about the God of Jerusalem as they did about the gods of the other peoples of the world—the work of human hands. King Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz cried out in prayer to heaven about this. And the Lord sent an angel, who annihilated all the fighting men and the commanders and officers in the camp of the Assyrian king. So he withdrew to his own land in disgrace. And when he went into the temple of his god, some of his sons, his own flesh and blood, cut him down with the sword. So the Lord saved Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem from the hand of Sennacherib king of Assyria and from the hand of all others. He took care of them on every side. Many brought offerings to Jerusalem for the Lord and valuable gifts for Hezekiah king of Judah. From then on he was highly regarded by all the nations.

I am a layman.
Islami
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 10:52:16 AM

Neurons: 142
Human beings are fragile, weak, and prone to illness. We all get sick at one time or another, some more seriously than others. Although modern medicine has come a long way in preventing and curing illness, many people find comfort in prayer as well.

Muslims see illness not as a punishment from Allah, but rather as a test and a purification of sins. Will you keep your faith strong despite your poor health?

Will you see your illness as a cause of despair, or as an opportunity to turn to Allah for mercy and healing?

Muslims may say personal prayers (du'a) in any language, but these from Islamic tradition are most common.
Du'a From the Quran

Truly distress has seized me, but You are Most Merciful of those that are merciful.
Prayer of Prophet Ayyub (Job) - Quran 21:83-84
Du'a From the Sunnah

Whenever the early Muslims became sick, they sought the advice of the ​Prophet Muhammad himself. It is related that when someone fell ill, the Prophet would recite one of these du'as for them.

Allahuma rabbi-nas adhhabal ba'sa, ashfi wa entashafi, la shifa' illa shifa'uka shifa' la yughadiru saqama.
Oh Allah! The Sustainer of Mankind! Remove the illness, cure the disease. You are the One Who cures. There is no cure except Your cure. Grant us a cure that leaves no illness. (Recommended to touch the area of pain with the right hand while reciting this supplication.)

'As'alu Allah al 'azim rabbil 'arshil azim an yashifika.
I ask Allah, the Mighty, the Lord of the Mighty Throne, to cure you. (Recommended to repeat seven times.)

Rabbana 'atinaa fid dunyaa hasanat wafil aakhirati hasana taw wa qinaa azaaban naar.
Oh Allah! Our Lord and Sustainer! Grant us good in this world and good in the Hereafter, and save us from the Fire of Jahannam (Hell).

A'oozu bi'izzatillaahi wa qudratihi min sharri maa ajidu wa uhaaziru.
I seek protection in the might of Allah and His power from the evil of what I am experiencing and of what I fear. (Recommended for the sick person to place right hand on area of pain, say Bismillah three times, then recite this supplication seven times.)

Finally, no matter how great the pain, a Muslim should never wish for death or commit suicide. Rather, the Prophet Muhammad advised the Muslims as follows: "None of you should wish for death because of a calamity befalling him; but if he has to wish for death, he should say: "O Allah! Keep me alive as long as life is better for me, and let me die if death is better for me.' "

Yarin
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 4:44:54 PM

Most people believe the religion of their parents. So, in fact, most people choose nothing. I can easily imagine TMe in the role of Islami if he is born to Muslim parents, and vice versa. Most people are just proud parrots.

Y111
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 2:32:11 AM

Neurons: 628
Yarin wrote:

Most people believe the religion of their parents. So, in fact, most people choose nothing. I can easily imagine TMe in the role of Islami if he is born to Muslim parents, and vice versa.

Very true.
srirr
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 6:14:56 AM

Neurons: 166,568
Well said, Yarin.

I always find it ironical that people are proud of something (their religion) which they have never earned themselves.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Romany
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 9:43:26 AM

Neurons: 40,818

Gentlemen - there's a place and a time for everything.

I'm sure each one of you is sure you have the ONLY religious philosophy that is real and are eager to convince others. This *IS* a Philosophy and Religion forum, so this would be the place to discuss all your theologies.

But are you not mere men also? Isn't that a bond that binds you all? One of your fellows is enduring a period of personal misery. He is overcome by it and needs support. He has asked for it because someone who is dearly beloved has started the long and often painful journey to death.

And all you have done is argue and bicker and completely ignore his pain. No matter if you are Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Jew, isn't compassion part of your philosophy? A man needs support. You have passed him by on the side of the road.

Aswin Joshi - I do not, as you will know by now, pray. However, my thoughts are with you in this time - watching someone you love die is a harrowing experience. You will be in my thoughts during this time: as will your friend and his family. Stay strong and hold back the tears for now: plenty of time for them later. For now just give what comfort you can to your friend, and take comfort from the fact that you are able to be with him still for however short the remaining time is.
Yarin
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 10:03:05 AM

Romany wrote:

Gentlemen - there's a place and a time for everything.

I'm sure each one of you is sure you have the ONLY religious philosophy that is real and are eager to convince others. This *IS* a Philosophy and Religion forum, so this would be the place to discuss all your theologies.

But are you not mere men also? Isn't that a bond that binds you all? One of your fellows is enduring a period of personal misery. He is overcome by it and needs support. He has asked for it because someone who is dearly beloved has started the long and often painful journey to death.

And all you have done is argue and bicker and completely ignore his pain. No matter if you are Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Jew, isn't compassion part of your philosophy? A man needs support. You have passed him by on the side of the road.

Aswin Joshi - I do not, as you will know by now, pray. However, my thoughts are with you in this time - watching someone you love die is a harrowing experience. You will be in my thoughts during this time: as will your friend and his family. Stay strong and hold back the tears for now: plenty of time for them later. For now just give what comfort you can to your friend, and take comfort from the fact that you are able to be with him still for however short the remaining time is.

Romany, I assumed that Aswin Joshi was not serious. Was he?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 12:37:04 PM

Romany wrote;

I am spending maximum time with my friend Randhir.( I call him Dheera)

Romany please make the mockers understand the pain of separation.

You do not pray. Why? This point I will discuss some else time.
Thank you for being with me at this time.

Now

"Please forgive them for they know not the meaning of prayer".

A person is terminally ill, and they are asking whom to pray.Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you
I wish and pray that mockers never experience such a harrowing pain of their near or dear ones during their life time. Amen.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 4:58:42 PM

Neurons: 5,014
Ashwin, if you have no belief in a higher power that can intercede when you pray, then there is no point in prayer.

I don't mock you for this and my thoughts are with you and your friend at this time, but I just cannot pray as I believe that to do when I have no belief is hypocritical.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 6:57:19 PM

Neurons: 42,117
Hang in there Ashwin. We had a thread of little things one can do to ease the pain of the dying and show you care but I don't remember the title to locate it for you.

Just being with him as you are is often enough. If it is terminal there is nothing else to be done.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:54:54 AM

Thanks Hope123.
I am doing my duty.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:14:48 AM

Neurons: 40,818

Yarin -

Yep.
Islami
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:46:04 PM

Neurons: 142
Think

" Matthew 7:6 in Jesus's Sermon on the Mount: "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 1:03:31 PM

For obvious reasons I bowing out of this forum for an uncertain period.

Excuse me, Faithfuls.Pray Eh?

tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 4:38:44 PM

Neurons: 53,498
Romany wrote:
One of your fellows is enduring a period of personal misery. He is overcome by it and needs support. He has asked for it because someone who is dearly beloved has started the long and often painful journey to death.

And all you have done is argue and bicker and completely ignore his pain.

Well said.

As a born-again atheist I cannot pray for Ashwin Joshi's friend, but I can extend to him and to AJ my deepest sympathy. Those who cannot do even that would do well to shut up at such a difficult time.
Yarin
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 6:58:26 PM

My heart with you Ashwin Joshi and your friend.
Yarin
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 7:01:33 PM

Islami wrote:

" Matthew 7:6 in Jesus's Sermon on the Mount: "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces."

You begin so fast to insult. And you are islami!!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 3:45:45 AM

Neurons: 349,196
Illness and suffering is the result of the Fall of mankind. God did not make us to suffer pain - we brought it on ourselves. But He did not end our relationship with Him. He has left it open to us to intercede with Him on behalf of others in distress. This is called prayer. In a court of law even those who plead guilty are allowed a plea in mitigation - a prayer. Those who scoff at prayer scoff at justice and mercy.

I remember, therefore I am.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 3:54:55 AM

Ashwin, I have prayed that your friend will be completely healed of his illness.

tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 4:02:47 AM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Illness and suffering is the result of the Fall of mankind. God did not make us to suffer pain - we brought it on ourselves.

No, we did not. A mythical Adam and Eve sinned, and a mythical deity rather nastily decreed that all their millions of descendants would have to endure illness and suffering.

Quote:
But He did not end our relationship with Him. He has left it open to us to intercede with Him on behalf of others in distress. This is called prayer.

So this mythical deity inflicted illness and suffering on us all, but left it open for us to intercede with him on behalf of other in prayers, 99% of which he ignores.

Quote:
Those who scoff at prayer scoff at justice and mercy
If there were justice and mercy, this mythical deity would not have inflicted pain and suffering on millions of innocent people.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 5:17:38 AM

tunaafi, you are quick to deny God yet blame Him for on-going illness and suffering. You are so mixed up. It is man's inhumanity to man that causes so much suffering. People die of thirst when man has so much water he is drowning in it. People die of hunger when there is an abundance of food in the world. The justice and mercy of God is to supply all that we need. Mankind denies justice and mercy by not sharing the blessings of God.

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 1:18:13 PM

Neurons: 392,925
jacobusmaximus wrote:
tunaafi, you are quick to deny God yet blame Him for on-going illness and suffering. You are so mixed up. It is man's inhumanity to man that causes so much suffering. People die of thirst when man has so much water he is drowning in it. People die of hunger when there is an abundance of food in the world. The justice and mercy of God is to supply all that we need. Mankind denies justice and mercy by not sharing the blessings of God.

If I read Tunaafi's posts correctly, he is talking about a mythical deity (in all three paragraphs). He doesn't believe in god so he's not blaming it for causing anything. He's merely reflecting your narrative and applying his logic to it.

I would also like to express my wishes that Ashwin Joshi's friend can spend the time s/he has surrounded by those who love him/her
tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 3:50:24 PM

Lotje1000 wrote:

If I read Tunaafi's posts correctly

You did.
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 6:02:46 PM

Neurons: 25,822
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
My Childhood friend, R. K. is suffering from terminal disease.
I request my forum colleagues to pray for him.

No criticism please. Only pray please. He is my friend.Pray Pray Pray

To pray is to beg. This is human, not theological.

I add my prayers for the best wishes for your friend and those who care.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:22:06 PM

Neurons: 4,658
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you.

When You Wish Upon A Star

TMe
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:12:41 PM

Neurons: 3,144
In this world of endless sufferings, prayers shower miracles, my friends.

I am a layman.