The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

another job interview question Options
Drag0npeaker
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:21:55 PM

Neurons: 20
This is a second post about my friend preparing for a job interview. He just recalled two more questions from his previous interview.

(ex) How would you deal with emotionally demanding students in your classroom? How would you maintain the boundaries necessary for the instructor/student relationship?

Please help him. Thanks again.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 4:35:15 PM

Neurons: 40,674

Drago - the reason they ask these questions is because everyone answers them differently. They want to know exactly what your friend *would* do. There's only so much flannelling one can do.

However, it would be a good idea for him to get hold of all the school's bumph: the prospectus, the "about us" section on the web-page, their lists of what they were looking for in the original adverts, their Alumni section etc. This will give him an idea of the schools policy and what *they* think about teacher/pupil relationships, and discipline etc. It would also be a help to go onto National education sites and see what the Government has to say also on the subject of bullying, racism, sexism (and developing hormones!), violence, boundaries.

But I do agree with Thar - he's got to think about this. No teacher is there just to teach the classwork - they're there to try to guide and advise and sympathise and empathise and inspire...and maybe to break up a fight or two, or stop one breaking out. So he'd better give that some deep thought!

Teaching can be wonderful, invigorating, inspiring, and fun. But it can be a heavy slog too, and the workload is heavy: so one has to go in there if not with a Plan of Attack, then at least with lines already drawn up. He'll change them of course as time goes by and he gets to know the ropes. But if he doesn't have a defining idea of what sort of a teacher he wants to be they'll eat him all up! And he has to know, to the minim, exactly where the line in the sand will be.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 8:42:30 AM

Neurons: 42,042
Romany, your answer is great as usual, but FYI - this is not Drago asking the question. This is Dragon Peaker.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Romany
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 9:53:41 AM

Bloody 'ell! Ironically, it was I who suggested that using that name might lead to confusion...and it was I who got confused! Thanks, Hope.

But it does clear something up for me: I was so mixed-up because Drago knows perfectly well how to advise his friends and I would assume that his friends would also be properly prepared for a teaching job. NOW I get it. But of course, my answer still stands.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 11:03:50 AM

Neurons: 4,628

smile of self-satisfaction

Nice smile

TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:01:36 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Drag0npeaker wrote:
How would you maintain the boundaries necessary for the instructor/student relationship?

If your friend interviewed for a job in an American public (government-sponsored) school, your friend would never be asked that question.

Why?

Because "boundaries" no longer exist. Students do whatever they want, for they know that all authority has been taken away from teachers.

A few years ago, if a student was defiant, that student would be suspended.

Then some obnoxious activists cried, "Oh, you are discriminating against our dear sweet little babies!"

So the then American president ordered that NO student could ever again be suspended for defiance.

Instead, both the student and teacher are to sit down together and pour out their feelings to each other. (I am NOT joking! It's called "restorative justice.")

It is now getting difficult to recruit competent teachers, for conscientious teachers are leaving the profession in droves. Why would any adult want to subject himself to defiance, vandalism, and even violence?

The "liberals" have won!

But the country and the students have lost!

tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:57:15 AM

Neurons: 53,498
TheParser wrote:
[
So the then American president ordered that NO student could ever again be suspended for defiance.

Which American president was then. Did he do this by executive order? When did he do it?
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 5:53:19 AM

What I want to do is to find that group of 'obnoxious activists" who are the source of Parsar's quote; "Oh, you are discriminating against our dear sweet little babies!" Because, really they don't sound so much obnoxious as mentally challenged!

Wonder do they carry protest signs saying "Defend our sweet little babies"? One would imagine that would make them look pretty silly to all the other groups of obnoxious activists like the Klan and the alt-rights and those tough ole Nationalists? I mean how could you hold your head up when the person next to you is carrying a real tough sign saying "Jews Out" and there you are with a wimpy old sign saying "HELP our sweet little babies"!!

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:01:20 AM

Romany wrote:

What I want to do is to find that group of 'obnoxious activists" who are the source of Parsar's quote; "Oh, you are discriminating against our dear sweet little babies!" Because, really they don't sound so much obnoxious as mentally challenged!

Wonder do they carry protest signs saying "Defend our sweet little babies"? One would imagine that would make them look pretty silly to all the other groups of obnoxious activists like the Klan and the alt-rights and those tough ole Nationalists? I mean how could you hold your head up when the person next to you is carrying a real tough sign saying "Jews Out" and there you are with a wimpy old sign saying "HELP our sweet little babies"!!

Romany, it is highly unlikely you will ever find such a derogatory quote in the news.

Apparently the reason suspensions are down is because they are using other mitigation methods to deal with the defiance problem.

A lot of the defiance was linked to racism as well.

I didn't read the whole article but here's a link with info if you are interested.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/2017-brown-center-report-part-iii-race-and-school-suspensions/

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 12:38:38 PM

(Edited to excise the original 'Ah, no, man', as my son keeps reminding me: calling people "man" outside of South Africa gets totally misunderstood!)

Ah no, I was merely extracting a small bit of Michael.Whistle

STILL can't see urls so didn't get your link. However I write for an EduMag and am part of the huge global conversations about Education in general and America in particular. So no worries. Now that I know that Parsar's utterances are simply regurgitations of what he's been *told* I expect exactly what it is we get from his posts. That little snippet from the world of "some people" is just the result of bits and pieces of what "they" say.Dancing
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 8:14:05 AM

I don't understand why you can't open links, Ro.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 4:28:43 PM

Neither do I, Hope. But I fear it may be a sign of imminent demise of my PC. It's got all manner of idiosyncrasies in growing number!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:37:34 AM

Neurons: 151,253
Hi! If you're on a PC using a company/council/school/museum server for internet, it's possible that it's not your PC - but that the server is deliberately 'filtered' and blocks all links.
When I'm at work or at the public library some links and most images 'disappear' for me.

If you really want to, sometimes clicking on "quote" will show you the URL and you can copy and paste it in a new tab.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!