The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Nepal outlaws menstration huts. Options
Chazlee
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 5:20:38 AM

Neurons: 4,214
The government of Nepal has just made it illegal for a girl to be sent away from her family in order to live in a " menstration hut" due to her getting her monthly period. A hut is described as being "a windowless, ramshackle shed with a small door and poor sanitation and ventilation." Additionally, the girl "is forbidden from touching other people, cattle, any fruits and vegetables that are growing, even books," as well not being allowed to use her own family's toilet, but instead must use a "nearby river."

However, things are hopefully going to start to change. The government will imprison for 3 months anyone who forces someone to use a menstration hut, as well as giving the offender a fine.

Kudos to the Nepalese government for this much needed change in their society!

Peace.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/25/health/nepal-menstruation-huts-chhaupadi-ban/index.html

“I regret that the press treats me so badly.” Donald Trump.
albionlady
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:18:58 AM

Neurons: 12,353
Oh my God, I didn't now there was such a thing in Nepal! It's terrible, how can be something like that possible in the 21st century? How come the government banned such a horrible thing only NOW? Silenced
ellana
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:19:45 AM

Neurons: 127,035
I'm currently in Nepal for a total of seven weeks. I've been here before but did not know about this cultural issue. However, there have been several articles in the newspapers since I arrived. This practice called chhaupadi has been outlawed for many years but the tradition persists especially in rural areas. Yes, it is now criminalised but I wouldn't hold my breath on this being enforced. The government is as lame as humanly possible. Women don't count for much here especially outside the main centres.

http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-08-10/new-law-criminalises-chhaupadi-custom.html
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:16:43 AM

Neurons: 47,708
ellana wrote:
I'm currently in Nepal for a total of seven weeks. I've been here before but did not know about this cultural issue. However, there have been several articles in the newspapers since I arrived. This practice called chhaupadi has been outlawed for many years but the tradition persists especially in rural areas. Yes, it is now criminalised but I wouldn't hold my breath on this being enforced. The government is as lame as humanly possible. Women don't count for much here especially outside the main centres.

http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-08-10/new-law-criminalises-chhaupadi-custom.html

Sad.

Menstruation is a normal process - without which those idiots who think it is unclean would not even be here.

If they cut their finger are they now unclean?

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 12:00:23 PM

Neurons: 500,500
Hope123 wrote:
Menstruation is a normal process - without which those idiots who think it is unclean would not even be here.

The government has to be very cautious about mores. You can not just outlaw what is deeply seated in the society.

We have a savage practice of female circumcision widespread in the Caucasus. There were several attempts to outlaw it on the federal level - still it is not illegal:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37115746

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 2:07:40 PM

Xap, women know about the FGM. Female genital mutilation and it is not just circumcision as in males. It ruins the female sex pleasure which is another way of goddam controlling women. Circumcision of males at least has some hygienic benefits and does not stop pleasure.

I am so glad you called it savage because that is exactly what it is! As you said, it is hard to change it.

Here is what they are doing to get around Canadian laws - it is called "vacation cutting".

It is not a moral but a custom - as I said to control women and it is the brainwashed older women who are doing it to the young.

The practice is very sad too.

https://www.thestar.com/news/fgm/2017/07/14/canadian-girls-are-being-taken-abroad-to-undergo-female-genital-mutilation-documents-reveal.html

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
ellana
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 11:06:47 AM

FYI... This was in today's Kathmandu Post which gives history and current issues.

http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-08-27/old-beliefs-die-hard.html
Romany
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 4:58:13 AM

Neurons: 44,866

Ellana,

I put on an event last year on the History of Menstruation i.e. how women had and still do cope with menstruation since the Neolithic.

I can't unfortunately, see your your URL, so I don't know what it says - but what thrilled me was that it was women themselves in the sub-continent who were bringing about these changes - especially the young girls. Older women have formed co-operatives to make and supply disposable napkins: in rural communities and amongst the desperately poor sanitary products have never before been available. So most have no other choice than to retire to menstrual huts - in very poor areas these aren't even weather-proof. So this is an enormous step: it's been impossible up to now to provide any alternatives to menstruation huts so that by making sanitary protection available there's no need for such ghastly rituals. Which do, unfortunately, take place in countries all over the world.

The sites that these Indian girls and women are running now are absolutely brilliant - and funny, and sassy too. A giant step for which I think they all need much more support and help.If you haven't done so already, try finding one of these sites on Twitter: knowing how traditional male/female inequality works there, one has to admire the bravery (you can imagine what these women and girls go through to present these sites!), forward-thinking and concern for all women everywhere.

Indian women are trying to claw their way out of repulsive ancient mores and come in for a helluva lot of flack for it. I admire them so much - they are real heroes! Go girls!!

(And lest we become too smug in condemnation of menstruation huts we should keep in mind that right into the last, Twentieth century, many Western women just bled into their clothes.)
ellana
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 9:37:58 AM

Romany... Yes, these religious and cultural traditions wreak havoc on women and that includes FGM. It would be admirable for men to wake up and understand that this monthly process has played a huge role in their fundamental existence.

Sorry you couldn't access the website. A woman tells her story and how she has changed this with her husband and daughter. Girls and women sometimes die during the 'shed' moment from snake bites, from smoke inhalation, from the cold in winter. Some are raped!

We as a species have miles to go...
Hope123
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 9:40:53 AM

Ro, that puts a whole new perspective on the huts for me. So yeah, go young ladies, go!

As a young woman I washed my cloths (like diapers but smaller) by hand and reused them. If I recall correctly, the commercial sanitary pads were available then but expensive with three women in the household.

Something I learned back then is a tip for doing any laundry with blood stains - Did you know that running very cold water through the blood stain for several minutes will help, but not completely, remove the stain?

Romany
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 12:37:31 PM

Neurons: 44,866

Helena - I spent the first six years of my life in Sri Lanka - mostly in the company of my nanny. She and all the other women I knew then were sweet and gentle and always smelled faintly of spicy scent - and yet, looking back both of my nannies had come originally from rural villages and probably had gone through all kinds of indignities at which I could never have guessed then.

Hope - It took me a long time before I was convinced about the no protection thing for women. Then I met an old lady who told me that when her grandmother first married her grandfather, her great-grandmother took her to task and introduced her to ways of protecting herself.

And remember that knickers were only invented around 1880s - and only for the wealthy. Right up until WW1 they weren't widely worn by the lower orders.

Which makes things even more difficult: even if you could get hold of scraps of old rags (clouts), without knickers all you could do was to clench them firmly between your legs and hope they didn't fall down. By now I've heard quite a few elderly women tell me about 'accidents' which reportedly happened to their mothers or grandmothers when they took too large a stride!

And next time you see a female homeless person spare a thought for them, too. Not having money means many of them go through a lot of anxiety and humiliation every month. Many of them can only rely on getting toilet-paper from public toilets. And these are women in the affluent West, not in undeveloped countries! (People say not to give homeless people money? Then they can give them tampons instead!)

I learnt an awful lot preparing for that particular Exhibition!
Priscilla86
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:34:03 AM

Neurons: 4,054
I wonder if introducing fines will persuade those who wax lyrical about "keeping traditions alive" to finally abandon this archaic practice?

I often joke with my friends that people would eat dirt or go to jail for what they believe in, but impose a hefty fine and those ideals would go out the window faster than the speed of light.

I remember reading about the Polish plait (feel free to Google it but fair warning: it's very gross) and how its popularity finally dwindled after some politician proposed to impose fines and tax on those having a Polish plait.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
TMe
Posted: Saturday, September 9, 2017 11:51:59 AM

Neurons: 4,943
For an atheist it's a sin: for theist, a blessing.

I am a layman.