The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Why good deeds? Options
eagleeyed
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:03:04 PM

Neurons: 181
Love thy neighbour as thyself, says Bible.
Don't be harsh to orphans, says Quran.

Why should we do so? 1. To please our neighbours and orphans whom we meet?

or 2. to please God so that He be happy with us in our life hereafter?

If our answer is 1. it would mean that we are caring and morally good.
If our answer is 2. it would mean that we are selfish as we do any thing good only to be rewarded in return.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:25:34 PM

Neurons: 67,066
For your own peace and welfare.

Do Good have Good.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:59:44 PM

Neurons: 40,818

Guys - PLEASE stick to the forum rules: writing in large and coloured font is called "flaming". You might think it looks pretty, but it is understood as aggravating and intrusive on the internet. Yes, you may see others doing it, but that still doesn't make it right.
eagleeyed
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:02:43 PM

Neurons: 181
sorry Romany I didn't know the rule. I will be careful in future.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 1:24:42 PM

Neurons: 151,606
However . . .

I do see your point.
There is another "selfish" reason for doing good - it is actually a joy to help people.

I actually don't understand people who feel that helping others is a burden or something.
OK, sometimes giving a few pounds to yet another charity and cutting down on coffees could be a bit of a sacrifice.

But if you give your time and help, then actually meet the child who is no longer starving and has finished hospital treatment and now adopted, or see the person who lost home and everything in the floods move into a new place, or see the parents meet their child who was a total zombie on drugs three months ago and is now bright, enthusiastic and drug-free or . . . or . . .
At those times you know how great it is, and it is pleasure for you.
You could call that selfish.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 7:49:25 PM

Neurons: 349,551
eagleeyed wrote:
Love thy neighbour as thyself, says Bible.
Don't be harsh to orphans, says Quran.

Why should we do so? 1. To please our neighbours and orphans whom we meet?

or 2. to please God so that He be happy with us in our life hereafter?

If our answer is 1. it would mean that we are caring and morally good.
If our answer is 2. it would mean that we are selfish as we do any thing good only to be rewarded in return.

You really need to consider -'love thy neighbor' in the context of the whole verse:
(Leviticus 19:18) - "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord".

Properly observed, this law will build good character in a person and contribute to good order in society by setting a good example to others. This is love which will bring peace and equality, honouring God and his people.

I remember, therefore I am.
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 11:43:49 PM

Neurons: 25,822
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
However . . .

I do see your point.
There is another "selfish" reason for doing good - it is actually a joy to help people.

I actually don't understand people who feel that helping others is a burden or something.
OK, sometimes giving a few pounds to yet another charity and cutting down on coffees could be a bit of a sacrifice.

But if you give your time and help, then actually meet the child who is no longer starving and has finished hospital treatment and now adopted, or see the person who lost home and everything in the floods move into a new place, or see the parents meet their child who was a total zombie on drugs three months ago and is now bright, enthusiastic and drug-free or . . . or . . .
At those times you know how great it is, and it is pleasure for you.
You could call that selfish.

A man much wiser than me once confided:

When you do right, you feel righteous,
but when you do good, you feel good.
Angel

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 12:06:08 PM

Neurons: 67,066
Romany wrote;

Guys - PLEASE stick to the forum rules: writing in large and coloured font is called "flaming". You might think it looks pretty, but it is understood as aggravating and intrusive on the internet. Yes, you may see others doing it, but that still doesn't make it right.

Romany, we got to stick to Forum rules since , primarily, we are members of TFD Forum. And writing in large and coloured font is an option provided to the forum members while posting or replying.

Intrusiveness can refer to a behavior, act, state or disposition towards being intrusive, interrupting and disturbing to others. Intrusiveness is typically unwelcome and recipients of intrusive behavior may feel like the intruder is coming without welcome or invitation, invading their personal space, or interfering in their private life. People who are introverted may be more likely to experience the feeling of being intruded upon.

Intrusiveness is an individual trait.

There are many interjections, idioms and phrases which are related to intrusiveness, such as mind your own business or being nosey. Nouns for people who are associated with intrusive behavior include snooper, interferer, interrupter, intruder, interposer, invader, intervener, intervenist, interventionist, pryer, stickybeak, gatecrasher, interloper, peeping tom, persona non grata, encroacher, backseat driver, kibitzer, meddler, nosy parker, marplot, gossipmonger and yenta. There are also some more derisive terms such as buttinsky or busybody."

Intrusiveness is secondary. IMO.

And also please tell me whether 'Guys' include 'Gals'?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 6:30:04 PM

Neurons: 25,822
Ashwin Joshi wrote:

And also please tell me whether 'Guys' include 'Gals'?

There is a great deal involved when discussing Guys & Dolls

Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."