The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A revelation - Remember the Alamo! Options
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:26:58 AM

Neurons: 146,401
I've always known about the Alamo - since I was five or so, I guess.

Today I stumbled across the actual historical facts. I was amazed.

All I'd really known was that it was all heroic, a big battle, and Davy Crockett and James Bowie were killed there, not what was actually going on.

I've simplified it a bit, using a few modern terms, but it's actually fairly simple.

1718 - the Mission San Antonio de Valero was set up.
Originally it was a colony of Spain, then part of the newly-free country of Mexico.

1821 - the Mexican government granted immigration visas for 300 emigrants from the USA, who arrived and brought in hundreds more immigrants as 'extended family' or just illegal immigrants.

Around 1930, these immigrants from the USA rebelled and started trying to overthrow the legal Mexican government. They wanted to set up their own country, the Republic of Texas, separate from both Mexico and the USA.

1835 - a large band of rebel insurgents (the Texians) captured San Antonio including the small fort 'The Alamo'.

The immigrants and a group of rebel US soldiers (who had rebelled against their own commander, who ordered them back to the US) were attacked by the legal government army at The Alamo and were wiped out.
Santa Anna, the Mexican Commander, simply deported the non-combatants unharmed to the USA. All the Texan combatants were killed in the battle.

The area continued under the legal Mexican government, despite Texian terrorist activity, until the next year.

In late 1836 a force of rebels from the US army, insurgents from the surrounding areas and the local terrorists invaded in force and captured Santa Anna near San Jacinto.

The rebels set up their Republic of Texas, which lasted nine years, in 1836.

In 1845, the USA Annexed the Republic of Texas.

In late 1845 and early 1846, the USA tried to buy more land (as far south as the Rio Grande) from Mexico.
The original Republic did not extend so far south.
This attempted purchase also included California and New Mexico, which the US agreed did belong to Mexico (otherwise, they would not have tried to buy it).

In 1846, the talks fell through - southern Texas, California and New Mexico were still part of Mexico.
The president (Polk) ordered the US army to invade these areas - then lied, saying that the Mexicans had attacked the US army.
He used this to persuade Congress to declare war on Mexico.

The USA invaded Mexico and in 1848 simply took by force 55% of Mexico's original territory, including the land the US had tried to buy.

Not quite the heroic tale I heard as a boy.

re·bel intr.v
1. To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.

American Heritage

terrorist
An individual who uses violence, terror, and intimidation to achieve a result.

Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.

insurgent adj
rebellious or in revolt, as against a government in power or the civil authorities

American Heritage

annex vb
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to add (territory) by conquest or occupation

Collins English Dictionary

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:05:06 AM

Neurons: 21,455
Mexico is now peacefully reconquering the land that the United States "stole" (California, Texas, etc.).

They are doing so through immigration, both legal and illegal. (No president, including the current one, can do anything to stop this movement.)

They call it the reconquista.

Mexican people are increasing their political clout in all those southwestern states. They are fast becoming the majority of the population. They will be occupying all important political offices.

Spanish is now the de facto second language in those states. (When you call big companies, you will be asked which language you wish to use on the telephone.)

As one Mexican-American politician once said: "If you don't like the change, leave!"

progpen
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:03:49 AM

Neurons: 186,406
TheParser wrote:
As one Mexican-American politician once said: "If you don't like the change, leave!"

And they are not only correct, but they are following what the White Supremacists have been saying for years.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:34:59 AM

Neurons: 146,401
Yes, it becomes obvious why some people are so adamant that immigrants are only coming to be a 'fifth column' and infiltrate the country to facilitate a take-over.

That's what the USA did to Mexico - in fact, that's what the British, French and Dutch did to north America.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sanmayce
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:02:16 PM

Neurons: 1,623
There is deeper understanding regarding these territories, in one word - Geronimo.

His relentless free spirit underwent heavy tortures, his people and family slaughtered and despised by both "parties". Few books (with lot of facts) about Captain Apache circulate, it is worth reading them.

Americans and Mexicans did genocide to the native people, it is good to remember that, always!

Salute everyone who knows how priceless FREEDOM is with an undying song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLsVGwNWOA4

The dancing Native American embodies their resilience and spirited attitude, love it.

Titiyo – Come Along

Play with it while you have hands
Dust settles, cities turn to sand

Trespassing this is their land
Time flies, make a statement, take a stand

Come along now
Come along with me
Come along now
Come along and you´ll see
What it's like to be free

Come along
Come along with me
Come along now
Come along and you'll see what it's like to be free

Come along now
Come along with me
And I'll ease your pain
Come along
Come along with me
And let's seize this day
Come along, come along with me
Oh, come along with me

Stay out stay clear but stay close
Friends, foes, God only knows
Lets be the thorn on the rose
Time flies, make a statement, strike a pose

Doesn't this Zuni chief look like NONONSENSE?

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/03/portraits-of-native-americans-early-1900s/

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 9:09:38 AM

Neurons: 19,538
San Antonio is 60 percent of Mexican heritage and it is even more so south to the border. We were here when the Spanish Europeans came, enslaved the natives and intermarried with them. Spain awarded huge land grants and this WAS Mexico. The Anglo Americans came and petitioned to immigrate. Andrew Jackson sent San Houston and they created a revolt after US failed attempts to buy Texas. Mexico suspended the constitution that allowed Texicans self ruled state because they feared the US. The native Mexicans aligned themselves with the Anglos and fought Santa Anna. After it was over we were seen as the defeated. We were always here. Now you say we are trying to reconquer? You are the ones who want to rewrite history.
Sanmayce
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:15:49 PM

Neurons: 1,623
philips daughter wrote:
... After it was over we were seen as the defeated. We were always here. Now you say we are trying to reconquer? You are the ones who want to rewrite history.

Don't know much about this region, but who are the natives (the original inhabitants)?

http://www.native-languages.org/texas.htm

Always felt that 'Remember Geronimo' carries more weight than anything in this land.

A must-watch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr-lCJp9v1E

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
philips daughter
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 10:46:30 AM

Just an update on my city, San Antonio. We have been watching hurricane Harvey all night. Our dear friends at Rock Port were the target area. The landfall was Cateegory 4. The storm is still coming inland. We will see if we get the rains and floods. It is slow moving but intense. What I wanted to say is that we are an evacuation center and we do a great job. We took in Katerina evacuees and some have stayed. We are welcoming and caring people. Whatever you think of when you think Texan, racist, Ted Cruz, Senator Gohmert, etc., that's not us. When there isn't an emergency, trump and our governor are trying to designate us a "sanctuary city." What that means is we will lose funding if we don't agree to make every Mexican in town carry our birth certificate in case we get stopped for any infraction. We aren't going to let them take our brothers, sisters and our children. One of the boys killed in that trailer of illegals was a dreamer trying to get back home. So what is it, an evacuation center or sanctuary city?
philips daughter
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 10:48:12 AM

Oh sanmayce, thanks for the graphics.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:27:57 AM

Neurons: 40,256
PD, Hope all works out for you and your friends with this storm and the aftermath. We are all watching. Good for you with the centre.

Sanmayce and PD - When you look at world history, it is a crying shame as to what was done and what is being done when it comes to territory. Both of your stories, the Indigenous in Canada, the Hawaiians, the Mayans and other tribes in Mexico, the marauders in Europe, the Middle East - need I go on? And this business of removing parts of families of non criminal but illegal residents who have been in the US often for years and contributed with jobs and taxes is absolute cruelty and vicious racism.

Early humans migrated to certain areas first and when new ones arrived, instead of living peaceably, often the idea in the olden days was to conquer and remove all vestiges of the previous cultures and religions. Missionaries did some good works but they did it and are doing it to try to spread their religion. And while doing so they eradicated people with smallpox and other diseases as well as with their killing and removal of religious and cultural buildings and symbols. It makes me shudder and also be sad that we are still doing it and just calling it war and terrorism these days.

Let's hope that there are more people on the side of stopping this quest for land and power than for the acquiring of it through violence.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
philips daughter
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 8:12:15 AM

Good morning friends. It is still raining here but, Houston is flooding with 20 plus inches. They predict it will be stalled over them for at least 72 hours. The news is saying over a thousand high water rescues in the last 24 hours. And it's getting worse. They are predicting another 12 inches today. Expect gasoline prices to go up.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 2:17:00 PM

PD, so glad you checked in here - I was asking in another thread for you and any others anywhere near that storm.

I just saw a pic of a major highway in Houston with the water almost up to the overhead sign poles!!

They say the storm is unprecedented. They always say that but after seeing that photo I agree.

Stay safe!

almo 1
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 5:18:29 PM

Neurons: 3,921

Good morning Alamo!

philips daughter
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 6:36:27 PM

When I see the devastation I'm numb. I can't understand why Houston didn't evacuate. There is a video of wheelchair bound nursing home patients in water up to their hips. That's criminal.

Houston ship channel and refineries say if there were to be 2 feet of rain it will take at least 18 months to restart production and the hurricane is heading back out to the gulf. If it strengthens this would be the second time it has gone over land and reformed. Then the hurricane might actually hit Houston. The storm came ashore southwest of Houston. They didn't get the winds yet. Unprecedented!

And trump is coming. Now I know we have descended into hell. That's a joke, I hope. It's ironic that the industry most responsible for global warming is being paralyzed by this storm.
philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:53:14 PM

Hi friends, Almo1, we are finally clearing the storm out. Almost. Now it's headed northeast. I hope it fizzles away. I don't want to see anymore people hurt. But, the skies are blue in San Antonio. It at least cooled our temperatures which had been 100 plus. Our senator Cruz is being brought up short for voting no to help Sandy Hook victims when it was them. Republicans should remember how things come back to bite you. Anyway, thank you to everyone who has sent aid and supplies. There are more good people than bad.
philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:29:07 AM

DragOnspeaker I am sorry I've hijacked your post. I want to clarify my statement regarding the blame for this hurricane. Petroleum companies didn't cause this hurricane. They happen every so often. What is extraordinary is the temperature of the Gulf when this storm came. The water was from 2 to 7 degrees warmer than ever. It was the hottest sea on earth at that time. Warm water evaporates more than cool water thus, it was responsible for the flood that has occurred. And global warming was the cause and the effect was the flooding. Parser come see the gulf now and I bet it won't look just fine and you can not deny that.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:13:53 AM

philips daughter wrote:
DragOnspeaker I am sorry I've hijacked your post. I want to clarify my statement regarding the blame for this hurricane. Petroleum companies didn't cause this hurricane. They happen every so often. What is extraordinary is the temperature of the Gulf when this storm came. The water was from 2 to 7 degrees warmer than ever. It was the hottest sea on earth at that time. Warm water evaporates more than cool water thus, it was responsible for the flood that has occurred. And global warming was the cause and the effect was the flooding. Parser come see the gulf now and I bet it won't look just fine and you can not deny that.

Agreed.

So glad you are okay, PD. The stories and pix of human loss and also property loss are so heartbreaking. It is going to take a long time to recuperate.

Fires and explosions in chemical plants and millions of pollutants released!

There are horrendous floods in Asia and although not nearly as bad as Houston, another Canadian city, Windsor, is inundated with water. In another thread I had posted pix of several Ontario places that were flooded for the first time. As well, we have had a very rainy summer here, with crops being affected. These comments are not meant to take away from the horrendous effects in Texas and now Louisisna, but are just pointing out that changes are occurring everywhere.

I understand that the ICE in all its compassion will not look for illegals in evacuation centres. How nice is that! Whistle

And the regulations that Obama put into place so that federal money could be used to build stragetically and safely after natural disasters were repealed ten days ago by Trump. So sad politics is even in relief aid as you also mention.

Edited - the only good thing to come of it all is that we see that there are many willing to risk their lives to help. Some rescuers already have lost their lives which is another shame.

I see on BBC but not American media yet, that the US admin has decided to accept Mexico's help again. lol