The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

last-ditch attempt Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,081
last-ditch attempt

A final effort or attempt to solve a problem or avoid failure or defeat, especially after a series of failures or setbacks. More...

KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:51:51 AM

Neurons: 1,975,780
Idiom of the Day
last-ditch attempt — A final effort or attempt to solve a problem or avoid failure or defeat, especially after a series of failures or setbacks.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:36:51 AM

Neurons: 3,720,331

LAST DITCH - Origins

“1821 T. JEFFERSON Writ. (1892) I. 122 A government..driven to the last ditch by the universal call for liberty.”
The reference is from a UK site; ’nuff said. Still, the second link has this reference from the same site, which doesn’t date the Jefferson quote:
“last-ditch — ‘There’s one certain means by which I can be sure never to see my country’s ruin: I will die in the last ditch.” William of Orange (c. 1677).
“Describing a desperate final measure. The last ditch was, in military terms, the last line of defense. The term had begun to be used figuratively by the eighteenth century, when Thomas Jefferson wrote, ‘A government driven to the last ditch by the universal call for liberty.’ Similarly, to ‘die in the last ditch’ means to resist to the end; it dates from the early 1700s.” From “Fighting Words: from War, Rebellion, and Other Combative Capers” by Christine Ammer (NTC Publishing Group, Chicago, 1999).”
[ http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/jeffauto.htm ]

https://www.alphadictionary.com/blog/?p=189

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:39:17 AM

Neurons: 3,720,331
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:11:06 AM

Neurons: 22,062
At Mona's high school (secondary school), two students -- Hilda and Danny -- were running in an election to be named "The Most Popular Student."

When Hilda discovered that she might lose, she decided in a last-ditch attempt to get more votes that she would insult those people who liked Danny. She said that they were idiots.

That was a very bad decision.

The students who(m) she had insulted turned out in droves -- for Danny.
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:40:20 AM

Neurons: 68,526
last-ditch attempt
A final effort or attempt to solve a problem or avoid failure or defeat, especially after a series of failures or setbacks. The home team is mounting one last-ditch attempt in the final seconds of the game to try to force an overtime showdown. In a last-ditch attempt to avoid a government shutdown, congress has pushed forward a new spending bill.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.

with my pleasure