The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is the Internet Destroying our Brains? Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:51:32 AM

Neurons: 66,386
"As the internet continues to act as your de facto brain, it becomes increasingly important for you to have handy at all times, which makes you use it more to compensate for your atrophied brain matter, which makes you use your brain less, thus requiring you to rely on the internet even more. It’s not an exaggeration, either: as well as being totally depressed, heavy users have shown shrunken sections of white matter in multiple sections of the brain."-Blogspot

Savannah

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:02:26 PM

Neurons: 3,094
Excessive indulgence may do.

I am a layman.
towan52
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:46:31 AM

Neurons: 156,653
According to Wikipedia, this is unlikely.... d'oh!

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:57:49 PM

Neurons: 40,256
towan52 wrote:
According to Wikipedia, this is unlikely.... d'oh!

Applause Applause Applause

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:58:02 PM

Neurons: 3,921

“No matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group. Planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.”

― George Carlin, Brain Droppings

“There are women named Faith, Hope, Joy, and Prudence. Why not Despair, Guilt, Rage, and Grief? It seems only right. 'Tom, I'd like you to meet the girl of my dreams, Tragedy.' ”

― George Carlin, Brain Droppings

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 6:14:57 AM

Neurons: 4,408
Similar things have been said about the invention of printing, photography, film and television.
The truth is that they enable us to learn and understand far more than we ever did before, but we just do so in different ways than before.

Without the internet how many of the users of this forum would have been able to communicate with native English speakers and ask them for help?

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 7:17:25 AM

Neurons: 282,696
Or to communicate with all the non-native people from all over the world, and share our cultural views and opinions.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 10:57:43 AM

Neurons: 40,256
Exactly, Sarri and JJ.

And to easily keep in touch with friends who do not live nearby.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Romany
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 11:32:52 AM

Neurons: 39,097

I'd think it depended on the person.

If you're the kind of person who doesn't usually read, isn't interested in English or whatever language you speak, doesn't fact-check or research, I could see a person getting brain-lazy. Then the internet would be only for watching trashy movies and gossiping. But even if the 'net didn't exist, such people would go through life getting dumber and dumber anyway because they don't use their brains.

People who have wide and varied interests, who are always wanting to learn, who find the truth fascinating but don't accept being *told* without proof, are gregarious, curious and love life and your fellow humans your brain is going to have all the workouts it needs. But, again, this kind of person would be like that whether there was an internet or not.
progpen
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 12:30:55 PM

Neurons: 186,406
I agree with Romany. Having access to a tool that contains a large portion of the entire world's knowledge is amazing. Being able to follow my curiosity where it takes me is a form of freedom I could not have imagined when I was in school. Even though I still read physical books when possible, I marvel at my ability to read just about any book from my phone when I travel.

The idea that our brains atrophy when we use the Internet tends to concentrate solely on the commercialized and social media parts of the Internet. This does not acknowledging the fact that communication across borders and behind today's iron curtains saves lives and gives people insight into other's lives that would not be possible otherwise.

The Internet is possibly the most powerful tool in human history, which just means it has been fashioned into many things. Some useful, some not so useful.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.