The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Did You Know How Long do Hedgehogs Live? Options
Sukses Muda
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 3:23:17 AM

Neurons: 13
The life expectancy of a hedgehog relies upon the species. There are more than ten distinct types of hedgehog (counting the four-toed hedgehog, the North African hedgehog, the European hedgehog, the since quite a while ago eared hedgehog and the abandon hedgehog).

The littler types of hedgehog typically live for 2 to 4 years, and the bigger species can live for up to 7 years in nature. In bondage, hedgehogs have a tendency to live for more. This is because of the way that they don't have any predators and dependably approach nourishment.

Some hostage hedgehogs have achieved the age of ten.

In the wild in current Britain there are a few things which can realize a hedgehog's death.

Badgers eat hedgehogs, and they are once in a while eaten by foxes and flying creatures of prey.

Hedgehogs can be harmed by slug pellets, forgot by nursery workers to execute slugs.

Hedgehogs are regularly slaughtered by being keep running over via autos as they are crossing Britain's streets.

Hedgehogs can't ascend sheer sides. Thus they are in some cases suffocated in plant lakes and swimming pools, or starve to death in channels and at the base of dairy cattle lattices.

They can likewise end up plainly caught in litter (plastic glasses, tins, yogurt compartments) and tennis nets.

Numerous hedgehogs are slaughtered when individuals have blazes in their garden (hedgehogs frequently sleep in leaf heaps and branch stacks), and when territories of vegetation are strimmed.

In 2006 The British Hedgehog Society constrained McDonald's to change the outline of their McFlurry compartments since hedgehogs were stalling out in them and biting the dust of drying out and starvation.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 1:03:45 PM

Neurons: 4,989
There are a few corrections and things I would change about your post, but it is already good Sukes Muda.
[quote=Sukses Muda]The life expectancy of a hedgehog depends upon the species. There are more than ten distinct types of hedgehog (counting the four-toed hedgehog, the North African hedgehog, the European hedgehog, long eared hedgehog and the abandon hedgehog). (I don't know what this last one is)

The smaller types of hedgehog typically live for 2 to 4 years, and the bigger species can live for up to 7 years in nature. In captivity, hedgehogs have a tendency to live for more. This is because of the way that they don't have any predators and better nutrition .

Some captive hedgehogs have achieved the age of ten.

In the wild in modern Britain there are a few things which can cause a hedgehog's death.

Badgers eat hedgehogs, and they are once in a while eaten by foxes and birds of prey.

Hedgehogs can be harmed by slug pellets, used by gardeners to kill slugs.

Hedgehogs are regularly slaughtered by being run over by cars as they are cross Britain's streets.

Hedgehogs can't ascend sheer sides. Thus they are in some cases suffocated in plant lakes and swimming pools, or starve to death in ditches and at the base of cattle grids .

They can likewise end up simply caught in litter (plastic glasses, tins, yogurt pots) and tennis nets.

Numerous hedgehogs are killed when individuals have bonfires in their garden (hedgehogs frequently sleep in leaf heaps and branch stacks), and when edges of vegetation are strimmed.

In 2006 The British Hedgehog Society asked McDonald's to change shape the of their McFlurry cartons since hedgehogs were becoming trapped in them and dying due to starvation.quote]

Other people might have their own suggestions of changes they would make.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:41:48 PM

I made a mistake here myself .

"Are crossing Britain's streets" is fine.

To explain a few of the alterations.

Hedgehogs are not in bondage, we do not use them as slaves and they are not hostages as we do not hold them as a guarantee of good faith or for a ransom.

Birds of Prey is a set phrase for raptors and owls etc. that might kill hedgehogs, we have no other flying creatures that might be capable of killing them in the British Isles.

Slug pellets are used by many people not only nursery workers but also home gardeners.

Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:18:12 PM

Neurons: 39,842
SM, as you didn't post this in our Grammar section I read it as the interesting article that it was.

In Australia we have Echidnas and are often killed while attempting to cross roads, unfortunately a lot of native animals end up as 'road kill'.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 2:14:26 AM

Tovarish wrote:
SM, as you didn't post this in our Grammar section I read it as the interesting article that it was.

In Australia we have Echidnas and are often killed while attempting to cross roads, unfortunately a lot of native animals end up as 'road kill'.

I think because most of this information is fairly common Knowlege in the UK I focused more on the mistakes I saw than the body of the article.

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 2:39:32 AM

Neurons: 366,727
Tovarish wrote:

If you are often killed crossing roads then how did you manage to survive and let us know that? Probably there are not that many roads in Australia.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 2:44:32 AM

Neurons: 366,727
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Hedgehogs are not in bondage, we do not use them as slaves and they are not hostages as we do not hold them as a guarantee of good faith or for a ransom.

Our friend wouldn't lie. You do all of this. Cruel Brits.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Romany
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 5:12:14 AM

Neurons: 40,674

The only hedgehog (hedge pig) I've ever seen was a dead one in China - though lots of echidnas in Aust. and Papua New Guinea. (Where one chewed through my brake cables on top of a mountain.)

But because of the concern for the little creatures atm in Britain, my Twitter has been full of pictures of rescued baby hedgehogs and I have completely lost my heart to them! Those little pink hands and feet and fluffy round little bellies! They are just so unbearably cute!!
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 9:43:18 PM

Neurons: 39,842
A kind lady attempted to rescue an echidna, placing it in rescue a box placing it on the back seat of her car with seatbelt, when she got to an official rescuer, he/she had burrowed

through the box, her leather upholstery and entwined its self around the springs of her car seat, hubby wasnt happy.

You keep rescuing Rom.

Xap 1, your post was so sweet, we have a large colony of koalas along the river and when the young males attempt to cross the main road they were being killed in numbers.

The good news was our Council erected a culvert, for them to go under instead of over and an animal proof fence to prevent them coming into contact with semis and B doubles.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 10:35:24 PM

Neurons: 4,628

hedgehog, porcupine, and echidna:

/dahaines.com/what-is-the-difference/

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:21:52 AM

almo 1 wrote:

Echidna are monotremes, egg laying mammals so that is a major difference between them and the other two.
Hedgehogs are small than porcupines and have short spines, porcupines are larger and their longer spines are loosely attached and barbed, meaning they can get stuck in the wounds of an attacker.

Hedgehogs eat small invertebrates and are therefore carnivores, porcupines are herbivores meaning they eat plants.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:21:53 AM

almo 1 wrote:

Echidna are monotremes, egg laying mammals so that is a major difference between them and the other two.
Hedgehogs are small than porcupines and have short spines, porcupines are larger and their longer spines are loosely attached and barbed, meaning they can get stuck in the wounds of an attacker.

Hedgehogs eat small invertebrates and are therefore carnivores, porcupines are herbivores meaning they eat plants.