The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is there global concern with N. Korea and the saber rattling? Options
LostinSC
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:00:03 AM

Neurons: 1,328
Japan was also on guard for a potential North Korean missile launch, deploying PAC-3 missile interceptors in key locations around Tokyo as a precaution. The American military has moved two Navy missile-defense ships closer to the Korean Peninsula to monitor any North Korean missiles launchings and to intercept the missiles if they threaten the American bases or Washington’s allies in the region.

Ep:

"Opps, what a coincidence we were testing our anti-missle system the same day."

Lucky timing, I guess. Whistle

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom. H. L. Mencken
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:38:10 PM

Neurons: 44,413
I can't help but wonder if N. Korea isn't just a sharp stick China enjoys poking at the paper tiger.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Listening . . .
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:29:14 PM

Neurons: 3,845
This video sums up the problem in North Korea. (Warning: South Park offensiveness follows)
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:48:48 AM

Neurons: 7,024

Listening . . . wrote:
This video sums up the problem in North Korea. (Warning: South Park offensiveness follows)

South Park gotta be broadcast in NK.

http://fockin full-episodes forever

leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:54:50 AM

Neurons: 25,817
LostinSC wrote:
Japan was also on guard for a potential North Korean missile launch, deploying PAC-3 missile interceptors in key locations around Tokyo as a precaution. The American military has moved two Navy missile-defense ships closer to the Korean Peninsula to monitor any North Korean missiles launchings and to intercept the missiles if they threaten the American bases or Washington’s allies in the region.

Ep:

"Opps, what a coincidence we were testing our anti-missle system the same day."

Lucky timing, I guess. Whistle

I suspect this is more a matter of watching out for a misfire, than any fear of success.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:34:58 AM

almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:03:27 PM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/dennis-rodman-to-kim-jong-un-you-have-a-friend-for-life

If Dennis Rodman is a good American friend of Kim Jong-un,
this man is a Japanese counterpart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Fujimoto

Kenji Fujimoto

Daveski
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:49:45 AM

Neurons: 5,066
I just think that 'nodong' is a funny name for a ballistic missile.

docendo discimus
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:10:55 AM

Neurons: 39,840
Yes Kimmy should be called that instead, or maybe it is our wickard sence of humour.

I was very pleased to see the John Kerry and the Chinese getting on the same page with trying to rein NC in.
Daveski
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:16:28 AM

Neurons: 5,066
Tovarish wrote:
Yes Kimmy should be called that instead, or maybe it is our wickard sence of humour.

I'm guessing 'humour' LOL!

docendo discimus
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:22:11 AM

No dong would crack most Aussies up!, sometimes we even add an 'er'
almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:27:13 AM

almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:31:54 AM

Tovarish wrote:
No dong would crack most Aussies up!, sometimes we even add an 'er'

http://www.youtube.com/Chuck Berry

almo 1
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 8:06:33 PM

Neurons: 4,618
almostfreebird wrote:
Tovarish wrote:
Gee and here was I thinking we were speaking about NK.

Another one from NPR

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/02/28/173163023/dennis-rodman-to-kim-jong-un-you-have-a-friend-for-life

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/opinion/2013/03/08/dennis-rodman-diplomat/

Sometimes a unique individual(not politician) plays an important role unwittingly. Nobody knows.

Interesting

Related thread:

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm985415_North-Koreans-are-coming--But-where-from-.aspx#985415

Tovarish
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:09:10 PM

It is truly awful that this post has been going since 2013, same despot, same problems, small man syndro with a nuke, not much worse than that.

How in all hell can you discuss the present world problems with someone who thinks he is God and convinced his people that it is true.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:25:08 PM

Neurons: 42,042
Tovarish wrote:
"small man syndro with a nuke, not much worse than that.

How in all hell can you discuss the present world problems with someone who thinks he is God and convinced his people that it is true"

When I delete the first part of your sentence, you could be talking about NK or Trump. Or both.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
almo 1
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:10:15 PM

Don't worry Tovarish,
Korea's nukes are not aimed at Australia.

They are aimed at Japan.

almo 1
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:35:38 AM

almo 1 wrote:

Don't worry Tovarish,

They are aimed at Japan.

OK?
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:20:57 PM

Our news reports say Guam is his target, what are you hearing?

He did say at one time he could reach Broome, Western Australia or some such chest beating BS.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 5:11:40 AM

Neurons: 40,668

Yeah - they reckon, as Guam is the nearest American soil, they can hit that, while they might not be able to reach mainland USA. Same ole, same ole.

Everyone here is just crossing fingers and hoping that the grown-ups will step in and put Trump to bed while they try to repair some of the damage.

It's clear to everyone that Trump has absolutely no conception of what a nuclear war entails or what the results would be. He's just like a spoilt brat playing with his new toys on Xmas morning and demanding that he be allowed to play with them all, at once. He loves the idea of pressing a button to "bomb the shit out of them" with no thought whatsoever about who 'they' would be (innocent men, women, babies) because, in his dementia, he thinks only of pushing that big, shiny-bright button and the pleasure it would bring to *him* to play with it!

So yeah - if he gets to have his way that's the end of civillization - so we just have to sit here with our fingers and toes crossed and wait for the cavalry to arrive!! Bring on the Grown-ups.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:18:03 AM

Neurons: 208,366
Romany wrote:

Yeah - they reckon, as Guam is the nearest American soil, they can hit that, while they might not be able to reach mainland USA. Same ole, same ole.

Everyone here is just crossing fingers and hoping that the grown-ups will step in and put Trump to bed while they try to repair some of the damage.

It's clear to everyone that Trump has absolutely no conception of what a nuclear war entails or what the results would be. He's just like a spoilt brat playing with his new toys on Xmas morning and demanding that he be allowed to play with them all, at once. He loves the idea of pressing a button to "bomb the shit out of them" with no thought whatsoever about who 'they' would be (innocent men, women, babies) because, in his dementia, he thinks only of pushing that big, shiny-bright button and the pleasure it would bring to *him* to play with it!

So yeah - if he gets to have his way that's the end of civillization - so we just have to sit here with our fingers and toes crossed and wait for the cavalry to arrive!! Bring on the Grown-ups.

Bingo.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 12:12:19 PM

Tov, in Trump's call to Guam that the Guam governor himself released (why?) all Trump did was praise himself as being the only president with the qualities who could possibly save Guam and told him it is well protected. He also told him that tourism to Guam would rise after this. LOL. No mention that his rhetoric is what brought NK to threaten Guam. The poor Governor tried to say something but couldn't get a word in edgewise.

I don't know who these adults are Romany and Progpen. They talk a lot but do nothing - they won't act unless Trump's polls go down - and they just went up with his sabre rattling.

Huh? I remember (even on TFD) Republican criticisms of Obama as being weak. I guess threatening is what they mean by being strong. Have they considered what happens if Trump's bluff is called? Are that many Americans really warmongers? Or have they just not the abiity to think it through? Don't they know that using diplomacy to get what you want often takes more courage than sabre rattling that might start a war unwanted by everyone except those who can make money?

Silly me. I thought Trump said it was America first and she shouldn't be policing the world. Silly me to have a memory so as to remember what Trump said when he doesn't remember himself.

I hope China'a interventions telling exactly where they stand will stop both of the immature leaders who have unilalteral control of a symbolic red button. I hope it is not really a red button because Trump might think he is calling for a coke and hit the wrong button. Only half joking.

I thought we might have a few days peace while he was on vacation. Silly me again.

Go take a REAL vacation, President Trump. We'll forget how you hounded Obama about too much golf and too many vacations, and actually want you to take a few days to visit your grandkids, play golf, and sit back with a cigar in a zero gravity chair without any telecommunication devices... And give the world a vacation too.

Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:31:49 PM

I am not a betting woman, but I would bet on Trump having to find Guam on the map before he spoke about it, then again the 7 P's dont seem to be high on his list.

For as long as I can remember NK has been threatening the world and then getting some sort of pay to play nice, never worked then and the sanctions will only be hurting the people.

China is in a awkward position as their main supplier but the massive influx of refugees over their border is not what they want.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 1:44:09 AM

almo 1 wrote:
almo 1 wrote:

Don't worry Tovarish,

They are aimed at Japan.

August 2016

The launch showed the North's "ambition to attack neighbouring countries"

July 2017

N Korea missile 'seen from Japan'

www.youtube.com/N Korea missile 'seen from Japan'

With North Korea continuing to fire ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan, rural Japanese towns have been carrying out emergency disaster drills.

http://kotaku.com/japan-preparing-for-north-korean-missile-strikes-with-d-1797626196

TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:12:52 AM

Neurons: 22,062
GREAT NEWS

According to the website "Drudge Report" (the place that reports what is really occurring in the United States), Marshal Kim has decided NOT to send missiles toward Guam.

Apparently, he has decided to follow the advice of his Chinese older brothers to cool it.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 9:31:20 AM

According to all media reports Un has told Trump the ball is in his court.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/politics/mattis-north-korea-guam-game-on/index.html

Un: “to wait and see what the "foolish Yankees" do next.”

Mattis: "if North Korea fired on US territory it would be "game on." Speaking at the Pentagon Monday, Mattis told reporters: "You don't shoot at people in this world unless you want to bear the consequences.

Looks as if the crisis has passed but will it stop Un from continuing his agenda?

Edited - I was curious as to what exactly the Drudge Report is -

"The Drudge Report is a politically conservative[4][5][6] American news aggregation website." Wiki

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 9:53:05 AM

What does all this North Korea business do to China and US relations?

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:14:29 AM

Neurons: 151,097
Hope123 wrote:
I was curious as to what exactly the Drudge Report is

By survey result (The Business Insider), it is the twenty-ninth most trusted news service in the USA. The last in the "not totally distrusted" section.

It ranks just above Al Jazeera and the Daily Kos and a little above Rush Limbaugh.
The Drudge Report is a little more trusted by conservatives than by liberals, but not consistently trusted by any of these groups.

The ONE AND ONLY site which shows as "mostly trusted" by all political groups (from red-as a beetroot lefties to sheet-wearing white fanatics) is The Wall Street Journal.
The Economist and the BBC are almost there. The most ardent fanatical right-wing don't trust, but don't distrust, these two.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:15:34 AM

Drudge = Fox but in blog format.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:23:56 PM

Neurons: 53,498
TheParser wrote:

"Drudge Report" (the place that reports what is really occurring in the United States),

I have frequently seen the Drudge report described as 'conservative' and 'right-wing', both terms used in the American sense of the European 'very conservative'.
Listening . . .
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:08:42 PM

Neurons: 3,845
Anyone have a REAL idea on best way to handle Kim Jong Un's insanity? Think (Talking about a kid excited about his new toys and shiny bright button? ...I think this describes Kim Jong Un to a "T".) I am fairly certain asking him to discuss his feelings over a cup of tea will not help the situation. Obama's methods didn't calm his tendencies to flex his "muscle." In fact, Obama's methods allowed a teenage boy who stole a poster to die. Shame on you No more "time-outs" for the petulant child. Time for a good ole spanking if he continues down this path.Sick
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:06:23 PM

You are absolutely right, Listening. You only go back as far as Obama but this has been going on since 1985 with NK - Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump. Sanctions and sabre rattling. Nothing has worked. NK has the weapons. But what can he do with them if the world just ignores him? It takes two to fight. And China has told him he is on his own if he starts anything. He may be petulant but I don't think he is particularly stupid about starting a war.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

Be nice to give him a spanking without killing South Korea, Japan, Guam, and finally the rest of us. Ideas on how to do that?

China seems to have given him pause - if he starts it, she is against him and she went with the sanctions against NK too.

And China also told Trump if he starts it, he has to contend with China as well as NK and then there's Russia...

"Mr Trump's recent bellicose public statements are a propaganda gift to Kim Jong-un, allowing him to bolster his standing as the nation's commander in chief and protector of the country."

Good for China. They can both save face and say they both won.

What does KIm Un want?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40913650

What would happen if the world just ignored both of the petulant boys?

almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:46:51 PM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama

Obama gained publicity in the United States and elsewhere in 2008, as it shares its name with the then-senator Barack Obama, who was running for President of the United States.

Obama is one of the locations where Japanese citizens were abducted by North Korean agents on July 7, 1978.[3][4]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megumi_Yokota

Megumi Yokota (横田 めぐみ Yokota Megumi) (born 5 October 1964) is a Japanese woman who was abducted by a North Korean agent in 1977, when she was a thirteen-year-old junior high school student. She was one of at least 17 Japanese citizens kidnapped by North Korea in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The North Korean government has admitted to kidnapping Yokota, but has said that she died in captivity. Yokota's parents and others in Japan have publicly expressed the belief that Yokota is still alive in North Korea and have waged a public campaign seeking her return to Japan.[1]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions

Most of the missing were in their 20s; the youngest, Megumi Yokota, was 13[8] when she disappeared in November 1977, from the Japanese west coast city of Niigata. The North Korean government claims that she committed suicide in March 1994.[5][9]

It is believed that the victims were abducted to teach Japanese language and culture at North Korean spy schools.[10][8] Older victims were also abducted for the purpose of obtaining their identities[11], but these abductees are believed to have been killed immediately.

progpen
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:34:04 PM

Epiphileon wrote:
South Korea and U.S. Gird for Missile Test by North Korea

Opps, what a coincidence we were testing our anti-missle system the same day.

At least I think that would be a great way to play it.

If the US military "tests" an anti missile system against a DPRK test shot and they miss, it will cause more turmoil globally than the White House could handle. In fact, it would cause many times more turmoil than if the anti missile system successfully destroyed the DPRK missile.

The turmoil would start at the White House, where every General in sight would be throwing up their hands saying, "Wasn't my idea! Wasn't my idea! Go talk to Einstein over there in the Oval Office." The current occupant of the White House would be furiously tweeting tirade after tirade. "It's the Generals' fault. It's the military's fault. It's the Democrat's fault. Not my fault!" The intelligence gained by Russia and China from the anti missile failure would give both countries extremely valuable leverage to use not only against the US, but against any allies of the US. This because the ability of the anti missile defense system to actually defend the US and allies has always been an unknown, and so everyone has based their political strategies on the idea that the missile defense system was as capable as the US military has said it was. Once those capabilities (or lack thereof) are out in the open, Russia and China gain incalculable political strength. This will then make its way into other arenas, like energy and finance.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if right now in the White House, there are people from the State Dept and the military trying desperately to distract the current occupant of the White House just long enough that he forgets that he wants to show Lil' Kim who's boss.

Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:56:42 PM

I am relieved that China appears to be putting pressure on he of the built up shoes and the silly hair cut, whoops, trump also has a silly hair cut.

The stability of the Pacific Rim countries needs a stable China, we all have massive trade with each of these countries, and one little crazy who cant feed his people could

start the dominoes falling all over again.

PS, I was watching the body language of the Chinese Premier, who was staying with Trump at the time he, Trump, bombed Syria following the

chemical bombing, and he looked amazed to say the least.