The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The sun feeds the weed feeds the snail Options
Joe Kim
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:15:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 307
Neurons: 1,573
There is this song, a hole in the bottom of the sea.

And the one of the verse goes like this:
The sun feeds the weed feeds the snail feeds the crab feeds the squid feeds the eel ...

Is this sentence correct, or just exception and if anybody says this in regular daily life, it wouldn't be understood?
IMcRout
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:49:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/27/2011
Posts: 33,444
Neurons: 457,556
Location: Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
What do YOU think?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Romany
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:44:30 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,364
Neurons: 37,621
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Also, WHERE would people say this and to whom?
Joe Kim
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:00:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 307
Neurons: 1,573
Search this song (the title is in the OP). I am not sure where would people say this. It is written in the song. Why would they sing something that can't be communicated? I heard it playing at Macdonald's.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:33:59 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 12,364
Neurons: 37,621
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Yes, that's sorta what I mean.

A song is a poem. It's written by one person. Who made a song/poem about nature because that made him/her happy.

What made that person happy was the sun shining and snails and things. There is no reason for any other person in the world to say these words, is there? I mean you wouldn't sit nest to someone in a train and tell them "The sun feeds the weed feeds the snail feeds the crab feeds the squid feeds the eel ...", would you?

BUT - it's a song so.. look at the words; then say them to yourself. Can you see they keep repeating the word 'needs',other 'ee' sounds?

That's because they want people to sing along. To get to learn to sing the song. So it will be popular and everyone will want to hear it.
georgieporgie
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:50:31 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 8/7/2017
Posts: 13
Neurons: 65
Joe Kim wrote:
Search this song (the title is in the OP). I am not sure where would people say this. It is written in the song. Why would they sing something that can't be communicated? I heard it playing at Macdonald's.


I have searched both the song and the "lyrics." Please tell us what YOU found when you searched.
Joe Kim
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 12:38:15 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 307
Neurons: 1,573
Romany wrote:

Yes, that's sorta what I mean.

A song is a poem. It's written by one person. Who made a song/poem about nature because that made him/her happy.

What made that person happy was the sun shining and snails and things. There is no reason for any other person in the world to say these words, is there? I mean you wouldn't sit nest to someone in a train and tell them "The sun feeds the weed feeds the snail feeds the crab feeds the squid feeds the eel ...", would you?

BUT - it's a song so.. look at the words; then say them to yourself. Can you see they keep repeating the word 'needs',other 'ee' sounds?

That's because they want people to sing along. To get to learn to sing the song. So it will be popular and everyone will want to hear it.


Thanks.

Nobody would say it, or maybe not. Even though a sentence wouldn't go this long, people might say: the sun feeds weed feeds snails, if there are only few objects and the structure is understandable, but does it? That's my question. You say other sentences that make sense so much, why not with this as long as it makes sense, but does it? If it doesn't, how the author could think of communicating with people who might hear it. And if it does, the sentence is so wired for me so far and how far can I extend this sentence structure to make other sentences?

srirr
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 1:20:59 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/29/2009
Posts: 5,238
Neurons: 110,219
Location: Delhi, NCT, India
Joe, the way a poet says in their poem may not always be abiding by the rules of grammar or analytics. A song or poem or verse is often written in a different style, the poetic way, sometimes rhyming, sometimes not. Those special arrangement of words may not be used in everyday life, either in writing or even in conversation.
And actually, this is the beauty of a poem. It may not be understandable by everyone or in just first reading (or hearing). Here, the alliteration is used to create a poetic effect.



We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Audiendus
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 7:34:05 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 4,150
Neurons: 724,004
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Joe Kim wrote:
The sun feeds the weed feeds the snail feeds the crab feeds the squid feeds the eel ...

The grammatically correct way of writing this would be:

The sun feeds the weed, which feeds the snail, which feeds the crab, which feeds the squid...

However, this does not give such a good rhythm for a song. The version without the "which"s would be easily understood by a native speaker.
Joe Kim
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:58:22 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2016
Posts: 307
Neurons: 1,573
Audiendus wrote:
Joe Kim wrote:
The sun feeds the weed feeds the snail feeds the crab feeds the squid feeds the eel ...

The grammatically correct way of writing this would be:

The sun feeds the weed, which feeds the snail, which feeds the crab, which feeds the squid...

However, this does not give such a good rhythm for a song. The version without the "which"s would be easily understood by a native speaker.


Thanks. It's unstandable now.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.