The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

-byte words Options
Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 12:38:06 PM

Neurons: 1,768
These days I have been contemplating on writing a simplistic but very aggressive textual compressor reaching out for the petabyte realm.
So I needed to give a roadmap of a sort to position it among Terarealm/Terascale and Exarealm/Exascale.
Found three awesome words that didn't know:

Kilobyte 10^03 (1000 bytes)
Megabyte 10^06 (1 000 000 bytes)
Gigabyte 10^09 (1 000 000 000 bytes)
Terabyte 10^12 (1 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Petabyte 10^15 (1 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Exabyte 10^18 (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Zettabyte 10^21 (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Yottabyte 10^24 (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Xenottabyte 10^27 (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Shilentnobyte 10^30 (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)
Domegemegrottebyte 10^33 (1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)

xenottabyte, shilentnobyte, domegemegrottebyte
Agh, 'Schizandrafield Corpus' doesn't hold them.

Funny notes:
2 Kilobytes: A Typewritten page
5 Megabytes: The complete works of Shakespeare
2 Gigabytes: 20 meters of shelved books
10 Terabytes: The printed collection of the US Library of Congress
2 Petabytes: All US academic research libraries
5 Exabytes: All words ever spoken by human beings
1.9 zettabytes: Research from the University of Southern California reports that in 2007, humankind successfully sent 1.9 zettabytes of information through broadcast technology such as televisions and GPS

Source:
http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/9/11/how-big-is-a-petabyte-exabyte-zettabyte-or-a-yottabyte.html

Of course, the insanity doesn't end here:
http://www.dataversity.net/is-big-data-a-meaningful-term/

Love those clarifications:

"Big data does not necessarily refer to the human ability to understand and comprehend those data. That term would be incomprehensible data or unfathomable data."

"Theoretical physicists state the quantity of information in the known universe is 10^10^123. That’s ten to the power of one followed by 123 zeros, which is a very large number indeed. Therefore, 10^24 or even 10^63 is a pretty insignificant number."

In my view this 10^1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 number is a quantum of .. solace of what the mystical realm of logos holds.

Beyond yotabyte is xonabyte (10^27), wekabyte (10^30), vundabyte (10^33), udabyte (10^36), tredabyte (10^39), sortabyte (10^42), rintabyte (10^45), quexabyte (10^48), peptabyte (10^51), ochabyte (10^54), nenabyte (10^57). mingabyte (10^60), and lumabyte (10^63). The future could bring Vunda Suite or Pepta Suite.

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 8:42:04 AM

Neurons: 430,203
Love your post Sanmayce!

Sadly there aren't more TFDers participating...be rest assured, I'm one that IS interested!

In my Mac computer I have 4 terabytes...and I think I'm running out of room!
Back in 1987, (when I began my graphic & printing business) a megabyte on my gray scale Mac was pretty much it. A document yielded 200k...now when I electronically send a large document to my printer for production, I zip it to 100 megabytes and transmit through 'We Tranfer', that transmits 200 gigabytes within a minute....eek!

I copied your post because it's fascinating ...however, be rest assured my head is still a beautiful shape!

Thank you, hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 9:05:30 AM

Neurons: 1,521
Be careful when assessing these numbers.

The thing is that information is a logical notion (that is ideal by nature). It has no physical weight, and therefore there is no "reasonable" limit on how much of it there may be.

Like when you're playing some star game on your computer, it somehow holds a whole universe that you're playing in.

And as to the human ability or inability to process the data... I wouldn't jump to a conclusion either. I personally doublt we've reached the limit yet. In fact, I think we are still pretty early into this whole business. So let's not underestimate what we as humans can do or may be able to do eventually.Angel

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 5:04:51 PM

Neurons: 151,426

And I guess we'll have
Korkerbytes = 10⁶⁶
Jubjub-bytes = 10⁶⁹
Incredibytes = 10⁷²
Humongabytes = 10⁷⁵
Gigantibytes = 10⁷⁸

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sanmayce
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2017 6:51:17 PM

Thank you, hedy, really love when people shake off the limitative thinking and start enjoying the subject.

>Sadly there aren't more TFDers participating...be rest assured, I'm one that IS interested!

No problema, I consider myself a chatterbox - too much talkativeness, love it.
TFD is one of the forums that I like, sadly many people strive for some elusive control over English language not seeing/seeking/feeling the basics of wording. Folks want certificates and diplomas, where the liveliness and joy of the informal life/speech/writing did go!
Just an example, few days ago while searching for an illustrative material for one of my textual corpora I hit one autocad 3D model of a mech - robot-like battle machine. One of the appreciators commented "Holy Hell!" Instantly this exclamations entered my vocabulary, so nifty it is, it surely trumped my last favorite one 'Hella Good' - after the superb song by No Doubt - I salute you hedy with it.
Simply, there are not many such lively expressions - to captivate the attention and kinda throw you off balance (as the notion of holiness of hell), I challenge everyone to come up with a stronger one, it reminds me how Dean (from the Supernatural series) always been mocked by his brother when saying 'awesome' - he would give him a look of "c'mon can't you use another one already" - on the verge of annoyance due to repeating this very word and not other.
I looked up the Internet, and the awesome resource (http://onlineslangdictionary.com/thesaurus/words+meaning+good,+okay,+cool,+awesome,+fun.html) just to find this ... hellacious phrase is missing in their extensive list.

>In my Mac computer I have 4 terabytes...and I think I'm running out of room!

Same here.

>Back in 1987, ...

Feel you, been there, exactly the year that I first started to play with 80x86 PCs capabilities. I am sure you will get it at once, those years instilled in my psyche the joy of using even the scarce resources - to appreciate the old toy, still. This trodden path, now makes me much much more appreciative of computercraft that ordinary folks taking all those GB/s for granted.

> ... that transmits 200 gigabytes within a minute....eek!

'No speed limit' this is the whole idea and the motto of the best compressioncraft programmer that I know - Hamid 'powturbo'.
Imposing, or even, inflicting limitations onto oneself dumbify the kid within, many do not allow themselves dreaming, as if it is something kiddish. Oh, the associativeness of mine kicks in, watched 20+ podcasts of Rex - an American youtuber from San Antonio who uses the outtro "Be excellent to each other, be the change you wanna see." Just lovely.
See, 2017-1987=30, only three decades - two gipsy generations - and we have 360KB floppy disk replaced by 256GB poststampsize flash cards, who would have thought that back in the '80's. My [California] dreaming is about utilizing the incoming power of computers to help people and myself when a broad look onto English language usage is needed, still in the woods, one day I hope will see the forest.

> ... be rest assured my head is still a beautiful shape!

Heh-heh, for how long, you know that things change over time, and besides, what's wrong with the cubicism/cubicity, much more internal room in those cubicheads.

@Kirill

>... and therefore there is no "reasonable" limit on how much of it there may be.

Exactly my drift, this limitlessness is what makes me believe in the power of ... wordcraft. As once in one of the old posts here on TFD someone stated that English was 50,000 words strong in times of Shakespeare, hold on to your hat, my estimation is that current English (as a container and hub for all languages, Sanskrit, Pali, Sumerian, and what not) features 5,000,000 words - as a bare minimum, with tendency after some millennia to hit 5,000,000,000, easy. Simply, the objects are out there, just awaiting to be "catalogized".

>And as to the human ability or inability to process the data... I wouldn't jump to a conclusion either.

Meh, pretty much my simplest analogy of human capacity would be a terminal connected to a server. Server being the logos, the terminal being the perceiver/user. The terminal, i.e. human brain, has some autonomous power but the hidden power lies in its connection - the more limited/slow the connection - the less computational power. So, there is much more than we currently see, yes, but this is common knowledge, the thing that makes me feel is the appreciative and joyful usage of those mysterious realms.

>I personally doublt we've reached the limit yet.

What limit, we are not even scratching the surface. We even cannot connect properly to the source.

@Drag0nspeaker

Good ones, should you take the Kirill's advice to be careful you would find yourself being a godfather in byte-naming registry.

Since, Internet crawlers have no other job they will pick up your wooden coinages and turn them into real boys ... definitions, hee-hee.

Looking at your 'Jubjubbytes' my first association is 'Jojobabytes', isn't it beautiful?

"Native Americans extracted the oil from jojoba seeds to treat sores and wounds."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba_oil

As for 'Humongabytes', to trump it, here comes 'Hellabytes', 10^666, to honour the power of hell, of course.
By the way, 'Terabytes' is formed by the Ancient Greek τέρας (téras, “monster”).
Since Russians are great at making big stuff and naming it (NATO's designation is even better, though), for example, their latest/baddest intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) are named 'Satan', so treading the 'monster' path, we have, 'Satanabytes', oops, 10^666 is used, too much of a praise I guess.

'Sarmat' is a cool choice since those people were crafty in battles:

Sarmata, Sarmatae, (Sauromata, Sauromatae), Sarmata, Σαυρομάται:
The Sarmatians, a great Slavic people, dwelling from the Vistula to the Don.

http://latinlexicon.org/definition.php?p1=2052817

Good sources for coining:
https://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/monster_list.html
http://www.tor.com/2012/08/13/sea-monsters-a-z/

Kappabyte, good ring to it.
Kelpiebyte, a funny one.

Kappa (Japanese Folklore): A water sprite. Sometimes hairy.
Kelpie (Celtic Mythology): A water horse with ghostly trappings. Sometimes appears as a beautiful woman. Not to be trusted.

Piranhacondabyte, oh love that one.

Piranhaconda (Piranhaconda): Exactly what it sounds like. A giant snake merged with a piranha. There were actually two of them in the movie.

Scyllabyte, should be nastily big.

Scylla (Greek Myth): Lived across the way from Charybdis. Had four eyes, six necks and twelve tentacle-legs, with a cat’s tale and a bunch of dog-heads around her waist. Not to be messed with.

Yacumamabyte, big big should it be.

Yacu-mama (South American Mythology): Giant water snake, lives in the Amazon. Will eat anything that gets close to it.

Ekimmubyte
Ercineebyte
Pastinacabyte
Pazuzubyte
Tengubyte

Ekimmu (Mesopotamian) - A bloodsucking ghost that resembles a pale giant with a bull's head on its shoulders.
Ercinee - Bird of the Hercynian Forest, glows in the dark.
Pastinaca - gigantic fetid weasel, bigger than an elephant, mentioned in medieval bestiaries.
Pazuzu - the demon (Assyrian)
Tengu (Bird Goblins) - Playfully malicious Oriental spirits thought to plague Buddhist monks with thefts and pranks. They often took the form of crows or kites. "The Tengu road" refers to the path taken by hypocritical priests. They steal children and molest woodcutters in rural regions, but entertain some guests lavishly in their great, gold-roofed palaces. They could take on human forms, but with unusually long, beak-like noses.

hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 4:46:03 PM

Neurons: 430,203
Sanmayce wrote:
Thank you, hedy, really love when people shake off the limitative thinking and start enjoying the subject.

Loved you're response post....I challenge YOU with a number... 153
I don't think you can fathom the meaning of this number....its implication or its significance...

I hope you try...research...be boggled out of your mind...I assure you that it will 'throw you off balance'...nifty it is. Let the "associative of the mind" kick in.
BTW One of my favorite words is AWESOME, I SWEAR....I get teased because when my friends and I go out for gyros from the 'Gyro King' in the Bronx, which is not too frequent, I exclaim quite loudly, and not just once while devouring that tasty sandwich ....[i]"this is AWESOME"[/i]...I really don't care to use another word!

And be rest assured, although I am OCD and nerdy all at once...my head is still, I hope, same as before 1987!

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Sanmayce
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 4:04:00 PM

> ...I challenge YOU with a number... 153

Well, don't know what ARE the significances of 153, give me a hint, what you expect to boggle my mind is not included in Wikipedia's article, right?

My first guess, it is an isopsephism:
"Writers claiming a major role for Mary Magdalene have noted that in Greek isopsephy her epithet "η Μαγδαληνή" bears the number 8 + 40 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 30 + 8 + 50 + 8 = 153, thus, it is suggested, revealing her importance."

Since it is so nifty, what is your proposal for naming 10^153 - to pay tribute to its mysteriousness.

This Harshad number (comes from the Sanskrit harṣa (joy) + da (give), meaning 'joy-giver') got me thinking and I counterchallenge you with the 108. What is the mystery behind it, it appears in Daoism, Buddhism, Shivaism (Hinduism), you can read on Internet some sites giving many "collateral" pieces but not one reveals its secrecy.
Some info: http://www.sanskritimagazine.com/rituals_and_practices/importance-of-108-number/
By the way 10^108 is a good idea to be named Shivabyte, after the god Shiva. Many people outside Bharat see Satan personified. Funny!

>BTW One of my favorite words is AWESOME, I SWEAR....I get teased because when my friends and I go out for gyros from the 'Gyro King' in the Bronx, which is not too frequent, I exclaim quite loudly, and not just once while devouring that tasty sandwich ....[i]"this is AWESOME"...I really don't care to use another word![/i]

Obviously you haven't watched Dean and Sam brothers in Supernatural series. Dean loves 'awesome' and couldn't care less for opinions of others or to change it, it serves him fully well. My point was that cliches are awesome, but, in the cases when something really unseen and beyond 'awesome' is to be worded there are rare gems as 'Holy Hell!' that serve better.
hedy no point to get teased, my awesomeness is elsewhere, cliches are awesome, to get me right please listen to favorite song of mine, hope you see you are not alone:
Fish - Cliché

To be not claptrappy here is one example where 'awesome' pales compared to 'Holy Hell':

"The RS-28 Sarmat missile, dubbed Satan 2 by Nato, has a top speed of 4.3 miles (7km) per second and has been designed to outfox anti-missile shield systems."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3870192/Russia-unveils-image-terrifying-Satan-2-missile-Super-nuke-destroy-area-size-FRANCE.html

"The announcement came with some other chilling statistics, such as a top speed of four and a half miles a second."
"But while 40 Mt is massive (Hiroshima was only 15Kt), could it actually wipe out Britain twice over? Is it even possible to develop a weapon that powerful?"

Are speeds in range of 4.5 miles/second called awesome or something else!

Ask some British citizens how they would call Sarmat/Satan I.C.B.M. after telling them the above. We all know that too often people describe being incredibly fast as something hellish/demonic - watch the superb movie 'Constantine' - a must-see, or as the Djinn from Arabian Nights capable of building a palace within a night.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/27/what-would-actually-happen-if-russia-dropped-satan-ii-on-the-uk-6218621/

"Russia reportedly tested a hypersonic warhead in April that is apparently intended for use on the Satan 2 missiles. The warhead is designed to be impossible to intercept because it does not move on a set trajectory."

Wut-wut, uninterceptable!

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/25/russia-unveils-satan-2-missile-powerful-enough-to-wipe-out-uk-fr/

"The "Satan 2" missile is rumoured to be the most powerful ever designed and is equipped with stealth technology to help it dodge enemy radar systems .
This terrifying doomsday weapon is likely to strike fear into the hearts of Western military chiefs, as current missile defence technology is totally incapable of stopping it."

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/russia-test-unstoppable-satan-2-7935675

When something is very fast, very powerful, fearsome or instilling fear, the words that I use are: 'formidable' (arising fear according to Heritage dictionary), awesome, hellishly, or the direct Bulgarian/Russian counterpart дявол-ски/черт-ов-ски is devil-esque, where the suffixes '-ски' and '-esque' are one and the same.
When some weaponry is fast as hell, lays devastation as hell, and nearly unstoppable - my shortest reaction would be 'Holy Hell'.
To comprehend and appreciate it in its fullness you have to take into account the UNITY of all - the sacredness of all - the advaita or non-duality.
Bharat is awesome (and joysome) - the holy land of so many precious teachings, yet my immediate association is with the Chinese Oldboy verse:
天 下 神 器 , 不 可 為 也 , 不 可 執 也 。
The Universe is like a sacred ceremonial vessel. It cannot be recast. /Translation: Sum Nung Au-Young/
The world is a sacred vessel; It is not something that can be acted upon. /Translation: Robert G. Henricks/
The world is holy, and is beyond contrivance and possession. /Translation: Lok Sang Ho/
The empire is a divine vessel which cannot be made. One who makes it, mars it. /Translation: Paul Carus/
The world is a vessel for spirit, and it wasn't made to be manipulated. /Translation: Brian Browne Walker/
You see, the World is sacred. It can't be improved upon. /Translation: John R. Mabry/

You get the idea, the whole world is as it should. Awesome. Hell yeah!

Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 4:30:27 AM

Neurons: 1,521
How does the nuclear weaponry fit into this topic? Angel

Sanmayce wrote:

>And as to the human ability or inability to process the data... I wouldn't jump to a conclusion either.

Meh, pretty much my simplest analogy of human capacity would be a terminal connected to a server. Server being the logos, the terminal being the perceiver/user. The terminal, i.e. human brain, has some autonomous power but the hidden power lies in its connection - the more limited/slow the connection - the less computational power. So, there is much more than we currently see, yes, but this is common knowledge, the thing that makes me feel is the appreciative and joyful usage of those mysterious realms.

>I personally doublt we've reached the limit yet.

What limit, we are not even scratching the surface. We even cannot connect properly to the source.

Yes, this is another possibility. But even if the human brain were completely independent, its capacity to process data can still be much greater than what current assessments (if there are any) may suggest. One thing that's fascinating me is the fact that information between neurons is exhcnaged not through a signle and liner binary channel (as is the case in our own human-made computers), but instead using a multi-channel technology. Thus in a single act of exchange a whole mass of information is transmitted between neurons. And a neuron can have connections with thousands of other neurons, from which it receives information, modifies it, and sends it further... The math behind it should be unbelievably complex...
Sanmayce
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:16:35 PM

Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
How does the nuclear weaponry fit into this topic? Angel

Isn't it awesome? It fits beautifully! You see, the etymology of 'terabytes' is the precedent - to underlie the monstrosity.

The more monstrous the order gets, the bigger the ability of the monster (to lay waste) should be - to be scary that is.
What one monster (as most people imagine) could do - eat some peasants, frighten the whole village and retreat, or something of that caliber, now speaking of some real monstrosity we could expect the frightening to reach not the next village but the whole country, so Sarmat/Satan is an excellent candidate.

>Yes, this is another possibility. But even if the human brain were completely independent, its capacity to process data can still be much greater than what current assessments (if there are any) may suggest. One thing that's fascinating me is the fact that information between neurons is exhcnaged not through a signle and liner binary channel (as is the case in our own human-made computers), but instead using a multi-channel technology. Thus in a single act of exchange a whole mass of information is transmitted between neurons. And a neuron can have connections with thousands of other neurons, from which it receives information, modifies it, and sends it further... The math behind it should be unbelievably complex...

I do not pretend to know the truth, the neural nets used in current compression algorithms prove awesome, the quantum computing also promises unseen power. However, my conviction is that brain just translates and doesn't generate signals. See, you can research (for validity, not taking my word) clinical cases where small kids, the concrete case was of a little girl lobotomized (half the brain, the left part removed) was able to attend kindergarten and successfully to draw pictures and play?!

terminal

n.
1. A point or part that forms the end.
2. An ornamental figure or object placed at the end of a larger structure; a finial.
3. Electricity
a. A position in a circuit or device at which a connection is normally established or broken.
b. A passive conductor at such a position used to facilitate the connection.
a. An end of a railroad or other transportation line, or a station at such an end.
b. A building in an airport where travelers board and get off airplanes.
c. A town at the end of a transportation line.
5. Computers A device, often equipped with a keyboard and a video display, through which data or information can be entered or displayed.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/terminal

So, the ones that map well on the 'brain' are 'passive conductor' and 'town-at-the-end'.
Simply, my notion is brain being an antenna capable to transmit and receive.