The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Words describing BB's unhappy lips Options
Sanmayce
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:55:28 AM

Neurons: 1,623
While listening to one remix of 1988 discohit, have been hit by the 'Bridjit Bardo' variants... so I asked myself, how many people, percentagewise, would misspell the name of the iconic actress...

https://youtu.be/8moNZuEl9QY?list=UUl28phgttCC_9z5ZQrVgLeA&t=149

So, I challenge all TFD fellows to write down inhere on prima vista her name, no assistance of any kind allowed! The goal of the "poll" is to humble oneself.
"Discrediting" (believe me, they are already discredited) one's abilities to spell correctly names of celebrities can only be beneficial to you, my word. It prompts for some reinforcements needed in your vocabulary maintenance.

I have some pity left and won't tease you with 'Martchelo Mastroyani' right spelling.

Also, I have a question, which are the most popular/colorful ways to describe such a grumpy/sulking lips.

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
NKM
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:59:23 AM

Neurons: 175,643
French (Brigitte Bardot) and Italian (Marcello Mastroianni) are relatively easy; at least they conform to known rules of pronunciation.

English names can be far more troublesome, none more so than Ralph Fiennes.

By the way, the most popular adjective for those lips seems to be "pouty ".

Romany
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 12:21:49 PM

Neurons: 39,155

And the word that describes Bardot's lips is 'to pout'. She is pouting. She has pouty lips.

It isn't seen a grumpy, but as very sexy.

Women spend thousands on plastic surgery to try to get this look.

Many of them, unfortunately look like goldfish.
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 1:52:54 PM

Neurons: 410,403
Correctomundo NKM, you beat me to the spellings...so I'll just add that Marcello Mastroianni's birth name was Marcello Vincenzo Domenico Mastroianni (at least he used his real first & last name)...he and Brigette Bardot were two of my favorite actors. Sadly, he transitioned in 1996 but Brigette, at 83 and Sophia Loren, are still all time favorite actors from an era gone by.

Brigette's lips are not pouting...and yes, as you stated Romany, that is the shape of her lips, her bottom lip is full...definetly sexy not grumpy. That Marcello was sexy as h_ll too! Check out his lips!

Ah, the good old days...thanks for the memories Sanmayce...

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 2:46:39 PM

Neurons: 4,413
Like Romany I would say Bridget Bardot was pouting, but I think it is due to a difference between British and American English.
Take the Oxford Dictionaries definition :
Quote:
Push one's lips or one's bottom lip forward as an expression of petulant annoyance or in order to make oneself look sexually attractive.

It includes the idea that a pout may be to look sexually attractive.

Merriam-Webster does not:
Quote:

a : to show displeasure by thrusting out the lips or wearing a sullen expression
b : sulk

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 5:54:18 PM

Neurons: 224,945
The question should have been: How many people, after having seen the correctly spelled name inhere,
could still produce a variant of their choice? For Bridjitt Bardó, anyway.

Her expressive mouth is petulantly challenging our TFD members to dare guess the
yet-to-be-discovered enhancement procedure which could closest replicate the effect
of her 1950's appearance.
Sanmayce
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:27:56 PM

Thank you all.
Describing someone's face especially lips is where my vocabulary sucks.

Didn't know that word 'pouty', strange how never encountered it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pouty

We all know how :( is used for ... caramba not sure even that how to call. They are not pouty but grumpy, yes?
The thing that always impressed me about BB was the arc of the lips not their lusciousness. Many years ago one guy commented about my favorite actress Nastassja Kinski having luscious lips, since then I learned the word. So, my follow up question is how 'pouty' differentiates from 'grumpy'? Moreover, many photoshots of BB show her not grumpy but with that indescribable arc as inhere:

As for 'grumpy' I started using it after seeing the phenomenal Grumpy Cat:

This one is in another category, BB's lips form some unknown to me expression, it begs for naming.

NKM wrote:
French (Brigitte Bardot) and Italian (Marcello Mastroianni) are relatively easy; at least they conform to known rules of pronunciation.

English names can be far more troublesome, none more so than Ralph Fiennes.

By the way, the most popular adjective for those lips seems to be "pouty ".

Hm, indeed. Putting aside the fact I know for decades how to write those film icons' names, my first choice would be 'Bridjit Bardeaux' after the city Bordeaux city/vine.
The second attempt would be: 'Bridjit Bardeux', after:

Back in '90's there were two superhits of a duet:
Bardeux - When We Kiss
BARDEUX - Sex Machine (STEREO)

Simply French is as troublesome to me as English regarding 'saying one thing writing other one'.

Sanmayce
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 7:14:27 PM

Verbatim wrote:
The question should have been: How many people, after having seen the correctly spelled name inhere,
could still produce a variant of their choice? For Bridjitt Bardó, anyway.

Her expressive mouth is petulantly challenging our TFD members to dare guess the
yet-to-be-discovered enhancement procedure which could closest replicate the effect
of her 1950's appearance.

Agreed fully, well said.
My third attempt would be 'BRIHJEET', to mimic the French.

Another unexplored area, the meaning of 'Brigitte':

Meaning of Brigitte: "strength or exalted one"
Origin of Brigitte: French variation of Brighid
Brigitte is the French version of the ancient Irish Brighid long associated with 1950s sex symbol Brigitte Bardot. If you want to pronounce Brigitte the French way, it's brih-ZHEET.

https://nameberry.com/babyname/Brigitte

And the awesome source:

Given Name BRIGITTE
USAGE: German, French
PRONOUNCED: bree-GI-tə (German), BREE-ZHEET (French) [details]
Meaning & History
German and French form of BRIDGET.
Expand Name Links
Related Names
See All Relations
Show Family Tree
VARIANTS: Birgit, Brigitta (German)
DIMINUTIVE: Gitta (German)
OTHER LANGUAGES/CULTURES: Brigita (Croatian), Birgit, Birgitta, Birgitte, Berit, Birte, Birthe, Brita, Britt, Britta, Gitte (Danish), Brigitta (Dutch), Bridget, Bee, Biddy, Bridgette, Delia (English), Birita (Faroese), Birgitta, Piritta, Brita, Pirjo, Pirkko, Priita, Riitta (Finnish), Brigitta (Hungarian), Birgitta (Icelandic), Breda, Bríd, Bride, Bridget, Brighid, Bedelia, Biddy, Bidelia, Bridie, Brigid (Irish), Bridget, Brighid, Brigit, Brigid (Irish Mythology), Brigida (Italian), Brigita (Latvian), Breeshey (Manx), Birgit, Birgitta, Birgitte, Berit, Brit, Brita, Britt, Britta (Norwegian), Brygida (Polish), Brígida (Portuguese), Brigita (Slovene), Brigida (Spanish), Birgit, Birgitta, Berit, Brita, Britt, Britta, Gittan (Swedish), Ffraid (Welsh).

https://www.behindthename.com/name/brigitte

St. Brigid:

Can't believe how this artist, Philippe Faraut, captured what interests me in BB's lips arc:

Ah, digging into names always reveals so much ... meaning:

Perhaps one of the most complex and contradictory Goddesses of the Celtic pantheon, Brigid can be seen as the most powerful religious figure in all of Irish history. Many layers of separate traditions have intertwined, making Her story and impact complicated but allowing Her to move so effortlessly down through the centuries. She has succeeded in travelling intact through generations, fulfilling different roles in divergent times.

She was, and continues to be, known by many names. Referred to as Bride, Bridey, Brighid, Brigit, Briggidda, Brigantia, I am using Her name, Brigid, here. There are also many variations on pronunciation, all of them correct, but, in my own mind, I use the pronunciation, Breet.

Brigid is the traditional patroness of healing, poetry and smithcraft, which are all practical and inspired wisdom. As a solar deity Her attributes are light, inspiration and all skills associated with fire. Although She might not be identified with the physical Sun, She is certainly the benefactress of inner healing and vital energy.

Her symbolism as a Sun Goddess remains, also, in the form of Brigid’s crosses, a widdershins or counter-clockwise swastika, found world-wide as a profound symbol, reaching Ireland by the second century B.C.E, and is still used there today to protect the harvest and farm animals.
One of the stories of Her life as a saint supports Her original attribute as a solar deity. During Her infancy the neighbours ran to Her house, thinking it was afire. This radiance came from the infant saint, a demonstration of Her grace bestowed as by the holy Spirit. A prayer to Saint Brigid requests,

Brigit, ever excellent woman,
golden sparkling flame,
lead us to the eternal Kingdom,
the dazzling resplendent sun.

http://www.druidry.org/library/gods-goddesses/brigid-survival-goddess

Worth reading it from start to the end!

Now, tell me BB's first name doesn't suit her!