mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Healthy! Series #4 - Iron Deficiency Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 9:18:29 PM

Neurons: 421,002
What is a 100% Source of Natural Iron?

Blackstrap Molasses
Molasses Origin: Pure sugar cane. Cane sugar is a plant, so it has trace amounts of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. But do you ever wonder where all those healthy 'sugar' nutrients go when the processing is complete? Clearly they do not stay in plain white granulated table sugar. The answer: Molasses!

What is molasses? Blackstrap molasses is a thick dark residue 'goo' left behind after sugar crystals have been spun off from sugar cane. It is the by-product of the sugar refining process. Just as the wheat grain gets hulled and discarded when wheat flour gets refined into white. Sugar cane gets a similar stripping of nutrients, however in this case the manufacturers are bottling the residue and making it available as a product for consumers. Sugar cane is mashed to create juice, and then boiled once to create cane syrup. A second boiling creates molasses. After this syrup has been boiled a third time, a dark viscous liquid emerges known to Americans as blackstrap molasses. It has the lowest sugar content of any sugar cane product. The wonderment of blackstrap molasses is that it’s unlike refined sugar, which has zero nutritional value. Blackstrap molasses contains vital vitamins and minerals, such as iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, and selenium. Blackstrap molasses, a 100% source of iron, is touted as a superfood. While it’s no miracle cure, it does have strong nutritional value with many benefits.

1. Diabetes-Friendly Sweetener
If you have diabetes and a sweet tooth, you have a bit of a conundrum. While blackstrap molasses is derived from sugar and adds as many carbohydrates as other sugars, it may be digested more slowly, which may help stabilize blood sugar. You can use blackstrap molasses in baking sweet treats. It’s what gives gingerbread cookies their distinctive rich flavor.

2. Bone Booster
Everyone knows that calcium is needed for strong bones, but not everyone knows the importance that magnesium plays in growing them. Blackstrap molasses contains both calcium and magnesium, so it can help you guard against osteoporosis. About 5 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses contains 50 percent of the recommended daily allowance of calcium, 95 percent of iron, and 38 percent of magnesium. Low levels of magnesium are also crucial in preventing diseases like osteoporosis and asthma along with others that can affect your blood and heart.

3. Good for the Blood
People with anemia — a condition where your body doesn’t have enough red blood cells — often feel tired and weak. One type of anemia is caused by a lack of iron in the diet. Blackstrap molasses is a good source of iron. About 5 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses contains 95 percent of your daily allowance of iron. Besides adding it into recipes, you can add it to hot water and drink warm or cold as a dietary supplement.

4. Packed with Potassium
Bananas may be king when it comes to potassium, but blackstrap molasses is also packed with the stuff. Try mixing blackstrap molasses in with baked beans, or even use it as a basting glaze on chicken, turkey, or other meats. A spoonful straight can also give you a quick boost.

5. Hair De-Frizzer
Along with providing your body with important minerals, blackstrap molasses has been used to remove the frizziness in bleached, permed, or colored hair. While pouring the sticky syrup directly into your hair is a pretty bad idea, it can be mixed with warm water and applied to the hair for 15 minutes. It can also be combined with other hair-healthy ingredients like your daily shampoo or coconut milk.

6. Iron for Oxygenating the Blood
Iron is important for the production of red blood cells to deliver oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. When iron deficiency progresses to anemia, the tissues and cells throughout your body become deprived of oxygen. As a result, you may become tired and weak. You may have trouble concentrating and experience shortness of breath, headache and dizziness. Other possible symptoms of iron deficiency include cold and numbness in the extremities, a craving for ice and cardiac arrhythmias. Blackstrap molasses is a rich source of the type of iron found in plant foods. One tbsp. of blackstrap molasses provides 3.5 mg of iron. This represents over 19 percent of the daily recommended amount of iron for adult women before menopause. It also contains over 43 percent of the daily recommended amount for adult men, as well as adult women before menopause.

7. Substitution for Other Sweeteners
Blackstrap molasses can be added to many meals. An easy way to boost your iron intake is to substitute blackstrap molasses for white sugar or other sweeteners. At breakfast, add blackstrap molasses to oatmeal or other hot cereal. Stir a spoonful of molasses into salad dressing at lunch and use it as a marinade for chicken, meat or fish. You can prepare a delicious substitute for hot tea or coffee by adding 1 tbsp. of blackstrap molasses to one cup of hot water, milk, soy milk or almond milk.

Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron from plant sources of iron such as blackstrap molasses. Try to eat foods high in vitamin C alongside blackstrap molasses. Citrus fruits and juices, cantaloupe, strawberries, sweet red peppers, tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli are all good choices.

PLEASE NOTE: Foods high in calcium may interfere with your body's ability to absorb iron. If you are concerned about this aspect, avoid using milk and other calcium-rich foods along with blackstrap molasses. Take calcium supplements at a different time of day to avoid this interaction.

DISCLAIMER: Throughout my TFD Health Series, all information researched is documented, however, it is not a prescription for what ails you. So before you attempt to treat yourself, do your own due diligence. Check with your doctor before using supplements, especially if you take prescription medicines. I am telling you this for your own good. Be careful. Be very careful...I am not an MD, so please don't kill the messenger.

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:20:19 AM

Neurons: 3,114
Excellent research, hedy!

Cane and cane sugar

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:23:47 AM

Thank you TMe, you are always so gracious!

When I was a kid, that very same 'caña' (sugar cane) as in your photo... my dad would bring home and instead of store bought candy, my twin sister and I would get a 4 inch piece as a special treat...we would chew it to ream the sweet nectar...after 60+ years I can still taste it!

The best Pure Blackstrap molasses I found is 'Grandma's' (Since 1890) Gold Standard, unsulphured, original, non GMO, organic and not "mucho dinero"...today it could be purchased online through Walmart. The brand you displayed looks like a good one!

hedy

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:24:37 PM

Neurons: 66,686
hedy, in India we enjoy the fresh cane juice. The vendor have installed crush machines. They add Ginger, salt, lemon and ice to fresh cane juice. Its as good and yummy, as tell a lie.

https://youtu.be/s6OrQpsrrJ0

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 2:19:08 PM

Awesome videos on YouTube, Ashwin Joshi. I have never seen those table top models. Nothing like the fresh juice of caña, and to munch on the pulp inside the crushed cellulose of a peeled cane.

Here in New York, especially in Hispanic enclaves, sugar cane in sold in 4-5 foot stalks, along with coconuts, cassava, mangos, papayas, aguacate, soursop, miniature bananas, 'quenepas', (a fruit that has a round green hard shell, the size of a golf ball)...and drink juices like ajonjoli, coco, tamarindo, passion fruit, uva, mmmmm, all so yummy!

I slice up bananas, and place them in the freezer...when my grandson comes over, he enjoys a 'batido" along with sliced frozen mangoes and non GMO apples, a bit of juice and some honey comb, place in a 'nutra-bullet', which completely liquifies to a thick shake consistency, within seconds, that special treat.

Worth traveling to the New York side of the foot of the George Washington Bridge to enjoy all those exotic foods...think I'll take myself there for a treat!

Thank you, for the great Picts!

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:21:02 AM

Neurons: 4,309

I want to try sugar cane(caña) so I checked amazon.Japan
only to find expensive men's wear: /www.amazon.co.jp/sugar cane/

But I found this one(Okinawan sugar cane):

www.amazon.co.jp/

Then I checked how to eat sugar cane:

He says you've got to have strong teeth.

www.youtube.com/how to eat sugar cane

hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 9:26:34 AM

almo 1 wrote:
i want to try sugar cane...

Hi almo 1,

I did some research to get you to enjoy a sugar cane treat. There are several YouTube videos.
Just write in the browser topics such as:
"How to prepare & chop sugar cane", "How to eat natures own candy", "The proper way to eat sugar cane"...

Ashwin Joshi posted a site in his response about sugar cane in India...must watch it!

Sites: kewpot.com, and tubobiz, made in the Phillipines for peeling methods, find it at sugarcanejuicer@gmail.com or via mobile +63917-707-8160.
You don't really need any of those peelers, we'd peel it with our teeth...(still have strong teeth) Once you peel the skin, it's not any harder than biting into a juicy apple!

There is another fruit juice you don't have to work so hard at to drink its nectar — Parcha (aka Chinol, maracuya) check it out on YouTube www.frugalchef.com
In Honduras, Central America (when I vacationed there) I had the distinct pleasure of drinking this juice that was sold in the streets in a clear plastic bag tied around a straw...when I came back to NY, I found that my favorite 'Chinese—Cuban' restaurant "Sabrosura" in the Bronx, carried this drink, (aka Passion Fruit)...you haven't lived till you've tried them...

life is not a dress rehearsal so I venture out whenever!

Thank you

almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:58:47 PM

hedy mmm wrote:

You don't really need any of those peelers, we'd peel it with our teeth...(still have strong teeth)

Awesome!

TMe
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:11:24 PM

strong teeth?
To peel Cane or to byte, almo1?

I am a layman.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:34:57 PM

I haven't tried yet.
It looks like a bamboo.

hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:04:11 PM

just dig in almo 1....my friend, would I steer you wrong? You could peel it and chew it and enjoy...

TMe, have you enjoyed the nectar of caña in your country? Is Parcha (Passion fruit), sold in your country?

You guys should ask Ashwin Joshi in India, when he's not gathering pebbles by the seashore. Just close your eyes and bite down (not byte)....that's a whole other meaning TMe!

Please report back...I have strong teeth (my own still) but I don't bite unless....did I say that out loud?

TMe
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 11:43:54 AM

Certainly hedy, I enjoyed since Cana I got teeth. Even loved going to the sugar-cane fields with friends, pluck one ripe plant, cut the upper part and peel with molars... enjoyed the pith loaded with yummy juice.
Only the nostalgic memories remain. Wish go repeat all those; fields and friends are still there.

You are invited.

And No. I never tasted Passion Fruit. Its not sold or cultivated in my country.

And Yes I closed my eyes and enjoyed...bite

Newly coined anglicised words confuse.

Am I right, hedy

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:22:10 PM

TMe wrote:
Newly coined anglicized words confuse

I'm not sure what you meant in the above comment, however, I've described several definitions of the word that is pronounced the same, though only the sentence would decipher the spelling...and none are newly coined.

Byte - In most computer systems, a byte is a unit of data that is eight binary digits long. A byte is the unit most computers use to represent a character such as a letter, number or typographic symbol.

Bite - a) (of a person or animal) use the teeth to cut into something in order to eat it, b) (of a tool, tire, boot, etc.) grip a surface, for example: "once on the wet grass, my boots failed to bite", c) a sharp or pungent flavor, as in "a fresh, lemony bite".

Bite Me - a phrase used in scorn, usually used after someone either a) insults you, or b) tries to tell you what to do, not in a nice way. (I've used this term when necessary, it's pretty popular in the U.S., better than swearing).

Don't just wish...you're not dead, you're very much alive...nothing wrong with enjoying those things now...you said you still have teeth, so enjoy!
Am I right, TMe?
Just close your eyes and 'bite' into those nostalgic moments... Now that's a new definition for 'bite'.

I invite you to taste Passion Fruit if you should travel to a place that has it... Even more delectable than caña. (Actual pronunciation is 'kan-ya', the symbol above the 'n' makes the 'y' sound)