The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Having Options
scottish
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 1:52:16 PM

Neurons: 41
Dear teacher,

I do not understand using the *having* in the sentences below.

1. katty shows no sign of shedding her dominance in social media having just replaced Justin as the most followed artist on the social media.

2. Tiger woods struggling with injuries and form and May weather havingretired, Ronaldo and Mess I have stroked to the top.

Thanking you
Audiendus
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 9:08:30 AM

Neurons: 754,821
scottish wrote:
1. katty shows no sign of shedding her dominance in social media having just replaced Justin as the most followed artist on the social media.

"Having just replaced" is a participle phrase modifying "katty". It means "as she has just replaced".

scottish wrote:
2. Tiger woods struggling with injuries and form and May weather having retired, Ronaldo and Mess I have stroked to the top.

This is a slightly different grammatical construction. The underlined phrase is called an "absolute clause". It modifies "Ronaldo and Messi have stroked to the top" adverbially. The meaning is:

"As Tiger Woods is struggling with injuries and form and Mayweather has retired, Ronaldo and Messi have stroked to the top."

It would be more natural to add "With" before "Tiger Woods".
scottish
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:47:46 AM

Neurons: 41
Could you please tell me that how I can use and make these type of sentences using *having* just as writer has used *having* in the sentences below?