The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Myrna Loy (1905) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,121
Myrna Loy (1905)

Originally typecast in exotic roles, often as a vamp, film actress Myrna Loy soon earned praise for her witty sophistication in 1934's The Thin Man. By 1936, she was a top box-office draw. Offscreen, she was never associated with Hollywood glamour or scandal. Instead, she was one of the few actors to protest against the House Committee on Un-American Activities during the McCarthy era. Her outspokenness on another issue resulted in her inclusion on what world leader's personal blacklist? More...
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 12:25:46 AM

Neurons: 397,280
The 'black and white stars' all have a je ne sais quoi class which has disappeared today. Maybe because black and white pictures and photos bare some steadiness and peace for the eye. When old postcards, as an example, picture street scenes, everything looks cleaner, more spacious, peaceful.
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 2:55:28 AM

Neurons: 1,906,477
Today's Birthday
Myrna Loy (1905)
Originally typecast in exotic roles, often as a vamp, film actress Myrna Loy soon earned praise for her witty sophistication in 1934's The Thin Man. By 1936, she was a top box-office draw. Offscreen, she was never associated with Hollywood glamour or scandal. Instead, she was one of the few actors to protest against the House Committee on Un-American Activities during the McCarthy era.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 6:28:48 AM

Neurons: 58,635
Pieter_Hove wrote:
The 'black and white stars' all have a je ne sais quoi class which has disappeared today. Maybe because black and white pictures and photos bare some steadiness and peace for the eye. When old postcards, as an example, picture street scenes, everything looks cleaner, more spacious, peaceful.

This one's for KSP

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 6:54:00 AM

Neurons: 63,010
I haven't encountered her as a vamp - mostly as Nora Charles with William Powell in the Thin Man movies.
A lovely confident, quirky female character.

Quote:
There is a wonderful moment when Nick is consoling the missing man’s daughter with a hug and Nora walks into the room, not knowing anything about why her husband is hugging this attractive young woman. Instead of pushing her away and rushing to explain – possibly the reaction most people would have in a similar situation – Nick simply makes a face and sticks out his tongue at his wife. In turn, Nora makes a face back at him without a hint of jealousy. She knows he wouldn’t cheat on her and he knows she knows this. When writers create smart characters they can dispense with the silly and tired conventions of storytelling on which so many movies rely, giving us fresh characters exhibiting genuine but unconventional behavior like this.

Sounds like she had some backbone in her own character, too. I knew there was a reason I liked her! Applause Applause

Quote:
When I think of [my relationship with Gable], considering the way it started, it was curious. We became devoted to each other. We weren't lovers-he was in love with Carole Lombard...we eventually became more like siblings. Nobody believes that and you can understand why...but our relationship was unique. Oh he sometimes gave me the macho routine when people were watching but he changed when we were alone.

Quote:
I was glamorous because of magicians like George Folsey, James Wong Howe, Oliver Marsh, Ray June, and all those other great cinematographers. I trusted those men and the other experts who made us beautiful. The rest of it I didn't give a damn about. I didn't fuss about my clothes, my lighting, or anything else, but, believe me, some of them did.

It does seem to have been age of Hollywood when female characters could be strong and actresses could have unconventional looks - and that doesn't seem as true now. Think