The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Healthy! Series #3 - Which Gum do You Chew? Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 9:32:20 PM

Neurons: 429,658
What harmful Ingredients Are In Your Gum?

Aspartame is an ingredient that is found in the very popular, Orbit Gum, and on the warning label it's listed as “Phenylketonurics – contains phenylalanine”...it is not good for you. Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure.

Phenylalanine is an amino acid. Amino acids sounds scary, but they are actually the building blocks of protein. Phenylalanine is actually an essential amino acid. This means the body cannot create any on its own, and thus must receive it as part of a diet, usually when consuming proteins. So where can one find phenylalanine? In breast milk (for babies), and in most animal products (meat, dairy, eggs). Oh, and in aspartame too. Yes, that cursed artificial sweetener breaks down into several components in our body, one of them being phenylalanine.

So what’s with the warning?

Turns out that one in 15,000 people in the world has a genetic disorder called Phenylketonuria. Their body can’t metabolize synthesize phenylalanine. As it builds up in the body, it causes all sorts of bad things to happen, such as mental retardation, seizures, and other brain damage. People suffering from Phenylketonuria (or PKU) are called phenylketonurics. They need to constantly monitor their protein intake. They are also warned about consumption of products containing aspartame – hence the warning on labels – “Phenylketonurics – contains phenylalanine”. If you don’t have PKU, you probably don’t need to worry about harmful health effects of phenylalanine. But that doesn’t mean that aspartame is healthy for you, or that diet drinks are a healthy choice. As for gum – choose those sweetened with Xylitol.

Xylitol is a safe sugar alcohol and commonly used in nasal sprays as a natural remedy for allergies and congestion. Spry’s label isn’t lying to you to you either. I love the fact that it tells you which actual “natural flavor”] it has in it – peppermint oil.

So is chewing a gum like Spry ok on a regular basis?

Chewing gum messes with your bodies ability to produce digestive enzymes, a critical substance that helps you get all the nutrition from food you need into your bloodstream.

Every time you chew a piece of gum, you send signals to your brain that you are chewing actual food. Your digestive organs – the stomach and pancreas get ready to digest food by creating digestive enzymes your brain thinks you need. Now imagine doing this all time and every day by chewing gum that isn’t real food, you’re tricking your pancreas and stomach to produce digestive enzymes when they don’t really need to use them. Over time the digestive organs become overtaxed and stop producing the amount of enzymes they once did.

DISCLAIMER: Throughout my TFD Health Series, you will also find references to artificial and natural products. Raw sugar, Honey and other natural sweeteners such as Xylitol, are not harmful, in fact, a teaspoon of cane sugar is 'healthier' than a teaspoon of aspartame ...but remember I am not an MD. Please don't kill the messenger.

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
almo 1
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 2:42:00 AM

Neurons: 4,633

You rarely see an experienced gum chewer.

This man is an exemplar of good gum chewer.

Teen Wolf Coach Bobby Finstock

srirr
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 5:10:34 AM

Neurons: 165,660

I just don't like chewing gums!

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 9:23:09 AM

Thanks almo 1 for reminding me why I don't watch movies, especially idiotic movies such as 'Teen Wolf Bobby Finstock'...I don't watch TV either, it's just not my bailiwick...I like to read and I read 2-3 books a week, besides working, researching, etc. ... for the mind IS a terrible thing to waste...(the best quote ever)

my question is, did you learn anything new, other than remembering the act of chewing?

hedy

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 10:40:45 AM

Neurons: 151,426
One of the difficulties with these warnings is that people are different.

Another is that people have different diets.

Another is that almost anything (in too much excess) is deadly.

People who are sensitive to phenylalanine should avoid NutraSweet and other aspartame products.
People who are sensitive to glucose or sucrose should avoid sugary foods/drinks.
People who are sensitive to glucose or flour products should avoid cakes and bread. (Did you know that simple wheat-flour starch is just a string of 'dehydrated' glucose molecules?)
The oxygen you breathe has been proved by one research program to produce cancer.

Everyone should avoid aspartame products in excess.
Everyone should avoid sugar in excess.
Everyone should avoid starchy carbohydrates in excess.
Everyone should avoid breathing . . . Anxious - (well, maybe not)

What's "in excess"? - it depends on the person.

I saw a demonstration several years ago (I think it was the Panorama TV program, which is not always to be trusted to be unbiased). It involved just leaving a class of kids alone in a room (with hidden cameras). The children did not know it, but their diets for the days before these tests was being severely controlled.

One day - very low starch or sugars - the kids played happily together for hours.

Another day - very low starch or sugars - the kids played happily together until they were given a sweet drink containing dissolved starch. Within minutes, one girl was lying on the floor kicking and screaming for no reason, and another pair were fighting. Two-thirds of the children showed some symptoms of "ADHD" after the drink (fidgety, unable to concentrate on a game etc), whereas none had noticeably shown this before.

According to the program, this test went on for some time, with the kids allowed bread some days, sweet fizzy drinks some days, sugary sweets/cakes some days and so on.
There was noticeable and obvious correlation.
Some children had violent reactions to sugar or starch or both.
Over 60% had regular and noticeable agitation, mainly due to 'sugar-shock'.

So "in excess" means "any" for some, "small amounts" for some and "large amounts" for others.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 11:02:15 AM

Ditto... DragOnspeaker

Wonderful input...you've enhanced the subject and your last line sums it all! Applause

I'll just stay clear of 'Everyone should avoid breathing'. . . Anxious it'll crimp my style.

hedy

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 11:33:18 AM

Neurons: 67,018
Is chewing gum necessary?

One may/should not chew, if it interacts with body system's good chemicals.

As researched by hedy, it triggers production of digestive enzymes. Hydrochloric acid is also a digestive produce of stomach. So chewing gum empty stomach can cause acidosis and ulceration in stomach.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 7:19:45 PM

Neurons: 4,633

"Sugarless gum contains a potentially lethal chemical called xylitol, which causes a canine's blood sugar levels to plummet, leading to seizures and liver failure."

www.dailymail.co.uk/CHEWING GUM which experts say is 100 times more toxic to canines than chocolate

This dog looks good chewing gum!

Chewing Gum Dog