The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

'nightly quite' or 'nightly quiet' Options
Sanmayce
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 6:25:28 PM

Neurons: 1,623
Hold The Line

Back in '90, sweet times, I exploited two audio-decks Sony TC-K81, those two badboys delivered a lot of joy, one of the many songs that they imprinted into my psyche was 'Hold The Line', even now I can feel the air movement (not just sound) around, yes, I used to make tiny airquakes. By the way, one of my definitions for hi-fidelity sound is that when the volume is at very high levels you mustn't feel uncomfortable - the distortions are missing, no need some snobbish charlatan to explain to me what hi-fi is.

Mauro nailed it with these verses:
I can see some thieves
They are stealing my guitar
They can't play
The player is my heart

The constant sequential movement from left to right surprisingly made me more aware of the front - that is the vocals.

The phrase is idiomatic, in many cases, inhere as well.
My word is for the lyrics of that great song, I feel it is a crime nowhere on Internet one to be able to read the correct lyrics.
Please, help me have it straight, I wanna upload them as a comment to one of vinyl rips on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ct6vIGGnI

Chester – Hold The Line
Format: Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM
Released: 1987
Genre: Electronic
Style: Italo-Disco
Vocals [Uncredited] – Clara Moroni
Vocals [Uncredited] – Mauro Farina
Written-By – Domenico Ricchini, Falcus-Vangok

Hold The Line, lyrics:

While the world is sleeping
I can hear the night sleep quite
I can feel the beating of the night

I can see some thieves
They are stealing my guitar
They can't play
The player is my heart

Don't look in the mirror
Hold the line
Have to win
Don't fool away your time

Just remember all the other days
Now come back
But please don't lose your ways

While the world is dreaming
I can heart the sound of town
But this night I'm falling to the ground

In the midnight hours
I have killed all my hopes
Just my crimes been written on the walls

These are the nonproofed lyrics, I hear: 'nightly quite' but it has to be 'nightly quiet', yes?

Wanted first to ask Mauro himself, but sadly his last post was in 2015.

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:42:17 AM

Neurons: 66,396
Quite as an adverb;

absolutely, perfectly, completely, totally, fully, entirely, precisely, considerably, wholly, in all respects,
TFD

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Sanmayce
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 3:41:50 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Quite as an adverb;

absolutely, perfectly, completely, totally, fully, entirely, precisely, considerably, wholly, in all respects,
TFD

Yes, aware of that, two problems I face:

- Wanna know whether Mauro sings 'I can hear the nightly quite';
- If 'quite' is used I see no sense in 'hearing the nightly quite' but in 'hearing the nightly quiet'.

I searched Google Books and Google's pages, no a single hit.

Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 6:28:37 PM

Neurons: 224,945
Sanmayce: Every source I have visited on the internet has it "I can hear the night sleep quite" (where quite means "to the utmost or most absolute extent or degree; absolutely; completely") The placement of "quite" in that verse is probably a matter of choice.

But you seem to insist on what you hear, as you wrote above @ July 22, 2017 11:41:50 AM : "Wanna know whether Mauro sings 'I can hear the nightly quite';"

How could "nightly quite" be heard, where does "nightly" come from, and why is "sleep" missed? You actually have two issues here, right?
1. Nightly v/s night. 2. Quite v/s quiet.

In other words you hear "I can hear the nightly quite';" while the published lyrics are "I can hear the night sleep quite". The latter makes sense to me, acoustics notwithstanding.

Back to your original post: you asked: "My word is for the lyrics of that great song, I feel it is a crime nowhere on Internet one to be able to read the correct lyrics." There are at least four sites on the Internet where I saw the lyrics, all as you posted yourself. Hope this helps, you have to chose between what you see and what you hear.
thar
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:38:13 AM

Neurons: 62,977
I can't see any contest.
I know lyrics are whatever you want, but 'quite' makes no sense, and 'quiet' makes complete sense.

'Quite' has no role here.

Adjectives are often used like adverbs.
Everything is sleeping quietly. Even the night is sleeping quiet!y. You can hear the silence.

Eg,
You run fast (both adjective and adverb)
You talk soft
You run quick
You walk slow
So I guess, if you want to put it in a song, something can be sleeping quiet.
It is prose, it scans, it sounds otherworldly - all desirable things for lyrics.

Of course it could be 'quite' - but that has the disadvantage of making no sense, being a jarring interruption and a distraction! Dancing
Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:06:57 PM

Thank you Verbatim and thar,
really wanted to have these verses verbatim, not only for my undying passion for this song but for other listeners.

>How could "nightly quite" be heard, where does "nightly" come from, and why is "sleep" missed? You actually have two issues here, right?
>1. Nightly v/s night. 2. Quite v/s quiet.

Right right, this 'sleep' I cannot hear at all, wonder how come all the lyrics on Internet to have it?! On top of that I hear 'quite' not 'quiet'.

>Hope this helps, you have to chose between what you see and what you hear.

Agh, those sites that have the lyrics are just copy-and-paste of some buggy source. Despite the fact that my built-in audio decoder, heh-heh, distorts a lot all the time, I really cannot discard my hearing, you know.

>'Quite' has no role here.

Agreed.
Since he is Italian, I wonder whether he permits himself some on purpose alternative spelling, even though erroneous. Also, maybe he plays some vocalization game that I cannot get.

As you can see nightly_quiet is a quite used bigram, here.

Please, both, hear out this passage, it is from the Dub Mix:
https://youtu.be/o40c-E68YFE?t=134

Really want to post here on TFD and on YouTube the correct lyrics.

Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:56:48 PM

Hi again, Sanmayce: Am I to understand from your OP that the song was written by Domenico Ricchini? He does have a Facebook page.
Could he settle the mystery of what the lyrics should be, perhaps also what Chester's recording ended up being?
I listened to Chester's extended version on line and heard "nightly quite", but I am not a connoisseur nor do I have the best player.

On the lexical semantics of it, however, I can make sense out of both "nightly quite" and "the night sleep quite",
this latter preferably, given the latitude of artistic license.

Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 11:30:00 AM

Verbatim wrote:
Hi again, Sanmayce: Am I to understand from your OP that the song was written by Domenico Ricchini? He does have a Facebook page.
Could he settle the mystery of what the lyrics should be, perhaps also what Chester's recording ended up being?
I listened to Chester's extended version on line and heard "nightly quite", but I am not a connoisseur nor do I have the best player.

On the lexical semantics of it, however, I can make sense out of both "nightly quite" and "the night sleep quite",
this latter preferably, given the latitude of artistic license.

Thank you very much Applause

Your help comes as the desert misses the rain.
Why haven't I thought of it, stupid.

Asked Domenico on his page for help, hope he will clear the issue once and for all.

Verbatim
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 3:56:53 PM

You are welcome, Sanmayce.
Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 3:58:09 PM

Domenico was kind enough to clarify it:
Domenico Ricchini: "Sorry but I composed the music and not the lyrics in this song and the word "SLEEP" is wrong as the word "NOW" looks like a "NOT"....I can't help you......anyway I think "NIGHTLY QUIET."

Now, I started doubting myself about the:
Now come back
Not come back
No come back