Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:10:45 AM

Neurons: 66,411
Life Before the Computer

Once upon a time...

An application was for employment.
A program was a TV show.
A cursor used profanity.
A keyboard was a piano.
Memory was something that you lost with age.
A CD was a bank account.
If you had a 3 1/2 inch floppy You hoped nobody found out.
Compress was something you did to garbage.
If you unzipped anything in public, it was jail for a while.
Log on was adding wood to a fire.
A hard drive was a long trip on the road.
A mouse was an animal and a mouse pad was where the mouse lived.
A backup happened to your loo.
Cut was something you did with a knife.
Paste was something you did with glue.
A web was a spider's home.
And a virus was the flu.

I guess I'll stick to my pad and paper and the memory in my head.

I hear nobody's been killed in a computer crash, but when it happens they wish they were dead!

Anonymous, not I.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Y111
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:18:49 PM

Neurons: 618
I wonder what life will be after the computer. Probably people will have them in their heads. Would you like to have memory that never fails you? Where you could store books, audios and videos and play them back right inside your head? I think that would be great.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:21:16 PM

Neurons: 47,005
This is good.
srirr
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:57:23 AM

Neurons: 137,859
That is nice. But it is natural that with time, the use and connotation of terms may change.

On the list, I have worked on 5 1/4 inch floppy as well. :) I have seen even the bigger one, perhaps 7 inch, but did not have a chance to use that. 512 MB used to be luxury.
And interestingly, the floppy disks were reason why the computer drives today start with C:/ (C drive).

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 10:52:20 AM

Neurons: 146,892
512 MB - LUXURY! When I was a lad . . .

Quote:
When we set the upper limit of PC-DOS at 640K, we thought nobody would ever need that much memory.
William Gates, chairman of Microsoft (as reported by James E. Fawcette in InfoWorld, 29th of April, 1985)

I remember those times when no-one had a computer - then when just a few enthusiasts had the green-and-black DOS computers.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 11:36:36 AM

Neurons: 313,060
srirr wrote:
On the list, I have worked on 5 1/4 inch floppy as well. :) I have seen even the bigger one, perhaps 7 inch, but did not have a chance to use that.

PCs came with a 5" drive from the very beginning. There were no 7" drives. Never. We had an Olivetti 6066 at work and it was equipped with an 8" drive:

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 11:54:01 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Quote:
When we set the upper limit of PC-DOS at 640K, we thought nobody would ever need that much memory.
William Gates, chairman of Microsoft (as reported by James E. Fawcette in InfoWorld, 29th of April, 1985)

He couldn't have said that. 640K was a PC's limit. Whichever operating system you only had 640K. Actually there were 1M bytes addressed by Intel 8086/8088 which had a 20 bit address bus. 2 to the power of 20 gives you 1048576 bytes called 1M or 1024K in computer science. The upper 384K were reserved by IBM for hardware needs. For example the video memory is located there.

Modern Intel and AMD processors start in the so-called Real Mode and have that same limit of 1M till they switch to the Protected Mode.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 1:11:57 PM

Neurons: 146,892
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
He couldn't have said that. 640K was a PC's limit. . .
He says he didn't say it - that's why I said "as reported by . . ."

The 640K "usable RAM" of the Intel 8088 was better than the 64K of the Apple II at the time!

The other 'unfortunate quote' from around those times was from Ken Olsen, the founder of Digital Equipment Corp, in 1977 (and he says that he did say it). "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 1:56:46 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The other 'unfortunate quote' from around those times was from Ken Olsen, the founder of Digital Equipment Corp, in 1977 (and he says that he did say it). "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

Probably that's why they lost the game. I remember the time when Digital was taken by Compaq which in turn was acquired by HP. Great names that ceased to exist.

progpen
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 4:06:08 PM

Neurons: 186,406
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

I've been in IT for a little more than 20 years and I'm beginning to agree with him.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
srirr
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 1:33:33 AM

Neurons: 137,859
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:

PCs came with a 5" drive from the very beginning. There were no 7" drives. Never. We had an Olivetti 6066 at work and it was equipped with an 8" drive:

Yes, the 8" discs. Thanks XX for the correction.

And of course, 512 MB used to be a luxury. I remember when we got our hard disk of 2GB somewhere in mid-1990s, we thought we had conquered the world. We were not able to think how and what will fill the space. Of course, it was a short-lived happiness. :)

Now that prompts me to raise another question. Why is CD called a disc and HDD/ Floppy disk called disk?Think
Google gives some answer, but still a good point to ponder.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand