The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

naturalistic activities Options
robjen
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:53:26 AM

Neurons: 1,699
My friend is taking an English course right now.

(ex) He says, "I really enjoy the naturalistic learning activities in my course."

I have asked him what he means by "naturalistic" activities. He cannot explain it.

Native English speakers, are there any schools in your local areas that create "naturalistic" activities for people to learn English?

What are exactly naturalistic activities? Thanks.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:03:37 AM

Neurons: 37,621
Robjen -

I think you should ask your friend again what he meant.

"Naturalistic" is not a word that one would use to describe any kind of classes, so ask him what is it about his course that is so different to other classes he has had? He might be able to explain it better that way?

We could take all kinds of guesses here about what WE would mean if those words came from us. But no-body except your friend can tell you what HE was thinking when he used that word.
IMcRout
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 6:55:38 AM

Neurons: 457,556
Is he a naturist, doing part of his course in the nude?

Is he an artist or a writer following the principles of naturalism?

I think Romany's advice is sound. Ask him again.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
NKM
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 12:26:33 PM

Neurons: 158,783
From the vantage point of American English, I can only say that I've never encountered "naturalistic" in this usage.

Romany is right. You should go back to the source for clarification. (And please let us know what you find out.)

Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:35:40 AM

I.M. - Have to admit, the first picture that came into my mind was the thought of teacher and class all sitting there stark naked!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:53:07 AM

Neurons: 141,825
One guess, which is probably a little less far-fetched than a naturist teacher Anxious , is that the course teaches natural conversational English rather than "the ten thousand rules of English Grammar".

The "naturalistic activities" in that case would be actual conversations, English pen-friends, watching films, discussing them in English and so on.

I wouldn't personally use the term 'naturalistic activities' - but that is the idea I had which fits well with an ESL course.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 4:31:07 AM

I thought it had to have something to do with the different ways classes were conducted too, of course.

But It could mean that the teacher herself was much more 'natural'; or that the classes dealt with real, natural situations; or that the classes were conducted in a more natural manner; or that the English being taught was not text-book but natural English...I still think we can only guess until such time as the friend explains what he meant?